• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NavinRJohnson

Registered Gorer
Hello all,

Any Jetblue types commuting as a FO? I would prefer to crashpad one of the domiciles and be living up in the Northwest, or even the Denver area. How are the reciprocity agreements w/ the other airlines?

Is this doable, or am I smoking cr@ck?

Thanks in advance...

Navin

Commuter:

I commute from the west to JFK and have had very little problems with my commute. I happen to live in a Blue city so that helps. As far as reciprocal agreements with other airlines, they are as good as any other carrier out there. Having said that there are some airlines that treat us better than others. As any commuter will tell you, commutting is not very desirable, but as we all know a necessary evil in this ever changing business. Good luck.

Roughly 80-90% of JetBlue pilots commute by air to work. So it is a piece of cake. We have pilots in almost all 50 states (including Alaska and Hawaii). I know there are a couple dozen in the Northwest and many in the Denver area too. I have a transcon commute myself and it is quite easy.

Since we have a liberal jumpseat policy for other airlines (we allow jumpseat on the extra 2 F/A jumpseats) we are usually welcome at other airlines. Additionally, have completed all the CASS requirements set by the TSA, and are just waiting for TSA to let us join the program (others in the system now are Alaska, Horizon, American and UPS).

Skirt

I commute out of DEN. No problem. Did you just start with JB? One of the many things that were working on to improve quality of life is Blue city basing. An example would be.... based in JFK but starting and ending all trips in DEN. (where ever you live if it happens to be a blue city)

stillflyn said:
I commute out of DEN. No problem. Did you just start with JB? One of the many things that were working on to improve quality of life is Blue city basing. An example would be.... based in JFK but starting and ending all trips in DEN. (where ever you live if it happens to be a blue city)
Yes, this is the latest buzz now and it is being look at very closely by D3 (Dave B. is coded D3 in case you didn't know). In fact, I think it was his idea and could come to fruition soon. He brought it up in a recent meeting and it is a hot item, could save the compnay money, and add QOL to a lot of folks. He is quoted as saying that TWA did it and it was called "Virtual Basing" so in that respect, he didn't create the idea, just that he wants to try it out at JB. Like Stillflyn said, you would need to be close to a BlueCity as I think they are looking at computer models using the current pairing optimizer program we use now, which from what I understand, is a super piece of software with lots of variables. In other words, based on how many pilots are living in BlueCities (say MCO as an example) pairings would be constructed that start and end in MCO to accomodate the group that lives there. Of course, it wouldn't suit everyone, but it would certainly help.

Anyway, to ditto what the others have said, commuting as a JB pilot (or potential one) is not that difficult, all things considered. But then again, living close to, or commuting out of a Blue City makes it a heckuva lot easier for sure.

See ya and Happy Commuting.

80%-90% of JetBlue pilots must commute since the company does not pay a liveable wage for NYC. When the EMB's come along with $89 an hour for a 12 year guy then maybe Dave will construct a Blue Tent City.

conman said:
80%-90% of JetBlue pilots must commute since the company does not pay a liveable wage for NYC. When the EMB's come along with $89 an hour for a 12 year guy then maybe Dave will construct a Blue Tent City.
OK, who had the over/under at 7 posts before someone made a moronic flame at JetBlue?

Sweet! Thanks again for all the info. I just put in my app, but won't be out of the military until Nov 05. Let the waiting begin...

Navin

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back