Jetblue Commutability...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not just JetBlue,

Watch the hordes flock to San Francisco to have the opportunity to make even less than Jet Blue and live in a city with a higher cost of living than NYC!!! It is not a flame at JB. It is a flame to the individuals who continue to subsidize cheap tickets at their own expense. You can deduct on your taxes more per mile for your automobile than it costs to fly on a jet that costs tens of millions. Think about it. You know it is bad when air traffic controllers make more than the pilots. SAD!!!

Dittos on ease of commute. Two main factors work in your favor. The bidding and trip swapping systems at JetBlue allow you to optimize your schedule for whatever is important to you. If you live in NY, you can do all day trips and be home every night. Or if it's a long commute (I do PHX-JFK) you can cram max flying into a week, then take a week off. This reduces the number of your commutes. If you are in a BlueCity, then you can also bid for overnights at home. I've done the 24 hr PHX overnight, which pays me 24x$2/hr = $48 to sit at home. Sweeeet.

Second is the great way we are treated by most other airlines. Unlimited jumpseats on America West and Southwest and American Airlines really has helped me. Plus we have a total of four jumpseats on our A320's if you live in a BlueCity.

Add the plans for 'virtual' bases and worries about commuting kinda dwindle.

Hope this helps.

conman said:
Not just JetBlue,

Watch the hordes flock to San Francisco to have the opportunity to make even less than Jet Blue and live in a city with a higher cost of living than NYC!!! It is not a flame at JB. It is a flame to the individuals who continue to subsidize cheap tickets at their own expense. You can deduct on your taxes more per mile for your automobile than it costs to fly on a jet that costs tens of millions. Think about it. You know it is bad when air traffic controllers make more than the pilots. SAD!!!
And you fly where and for whom? With your obvious months of experience I am sure you would haul in mega bucks per hour.

My guess...another case of JB interviewee failure......

jetblue320,

Don't waste your time responding to this guy (conman). It's not worth the effort. Let's keep this subject on topic, which happens to be a good one.

Anyway...Navin,

Commuting is what it is, for better or worse. Some find it easy and some find it hard. You will discover however that it really isn't so bad with just a little effort to plan ahead. That and a current issue of Skyguide or AOG!

Good luck to ya.

V2

Last edited:
V2+10 said:
jetblue320,

Don't waste your time responding to this guy (conman). It's not worth the effort. Let's keep this subject on topic, which happens to be a good one.

V2
You are right....it is hard though, but I'll bite my tongue...for now.

Navin,

You can get an idea about JB's routes and times and that by downloading our electronic timetables from www.jetblue.com . They come in 3 formats; .PDF file, PC desktop version and a PDA (either Palm or PocketPC) versions. They really are handy. Delta has the same thing for your PDA for sure and maybe for your desktop as well. And I am sure there are other airline timetables out there for free as well. Most commuters have jumped on the info super highway for free and have all that info at there fingertips. A lot of the airline stopped producing paper timetables, I know JB stopped a year or so ago and it's all electronic. I have always had the fortune of commuting online with JB and so I don't have to depend on other carriers and now I am based close to home so I commute by car. I have great sympathy for those out there that commute on other airlines but I do know that most other carriers treat our guys pretty good if not great. Sure, I have heard a few war stories, but they are rare. A lot of the good treatment we get is because of our policy, which is extremely liberal.

If you need to travel on JB now, all you need is your ID from a 121/135 US carrier and your pilots license and current medical. Just go to the ticket counter and get listed to get through security and then check in at the gate. If your airline serves the airport, you may not have to go to the ticket counter andf can go straight to the gate. This doesn't always happen, you know how that goes, but rest assured, once you get through enemy lines and to a Jetblue person, you're in good shape. We provide a seat (assuming there is one open) to any employee of any FAR 121 airline. Flight and Inflight crewmembers from other airlines can occupy one/both of the 2 cabin (not cockpit) jumpseats if the cabin is full. Just ask anybody anywhere about JB's policy. That is one area where I DARE ANYBODY to beef about. If there is a seat, it's yours.

C ya and good luck.

Last edited:
Dear jetblue 320,

In your world as a 4th yr pay A-320 CA, do you think $118 per is Mega-
Bucks? If the answer is yes, then this profession is doomed forever.

conman said:
Dear jetblue 320,

Firstly, I am sixth year FWIW, and secondly, and certainly more importantly is that it is just that, my world from where I sit. I never said anything about our pay rates, you did. I am glad that you consider what I think as measurement for the future of the aviation profession though, that's really quite flattering! What's really special is how you chose to try and scrap with me as opposed to my pal Flying Freddie, whom just came out and said "Blow Me"!! :confused:

Oh and by the way, have you seen USAir's new A320 Captain payscales? Take a look see if you want to talk about doom and gloom.

I hope you can see your way to the bright side someday, really.

conman said:
Dear jetblue 320,

Don't forget jetblue 320 is making 118/hr for the first 70 hours THEN it's almost $3.00 /minute!! not bad if you ask me..............but you didn't :)

holdon said:
Don't forget jetblue 320 is making 118/hr for the first 70 hours THEN it's almost $3.00 /minute!!
$3.00 a minute...sounds kinda racy...

sorry, couldn't resist.. :)

I believe you brought up the rate of pay first sir!!! [
Congratulations on your contract renewal. Now back to work and change that pesky 8 in 24 rule.

QUOTE=jetblue320]And you fly where and for whom? With your obvious months of experience I am sure you would haul in mega bucks per hour.

My guess...another case of JB interviewee failure......[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back