Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue CEO on pilot’s mid-air meltdown: ‘It started medical, but clearly wasn’t’

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the real question that begs to be asked,

Did the F/O get to log PIC for the time the former Capt. was under a stack of passengers?

Separate logbook column?

Opine?

Theoretically, he could log the time from when he locked Osbon out of the cockpit, up to the point the non-rev CA assumed command.
Not sure if I'd want that particular entry in my logbook though.

I think the real question that begs to be asked,

Did the F/O get to log PIC for the time the former Capt. was under a stack of passengers?

Separate logbook column?

Opine?

Logging? Who gives a d*amn about logging! Does he start geting the Captain pay rate and at what point? from the initial rant? from when the captain was locked out? Or do we have to wait for the Captain to be fully restrained in the aisle?

Another more important point...I presume the FO is not THE senior FO at JetBlue so therefore any FO senior to this FO was by-passed at the point that this FO became Captain...so I think some money is owed. Do you think senior FO's to have a case for by-pass pay would have to have been flying at that exact moment...or is it merely enough to have been flying on the same day?

I hope he made the non-revving Captain take the FO's seat because that sure is going to work against him in the grievance arbitration, or at least shorten the time and therefore lessen the money that this FO and everybody else is going to be entitled to!

Oh, the questions!

Last edited:
WOW....he landed the big scary airplane all by himself...imagine that

That's not the point being made Wizard. The FO did an amazing job by realizing there was a critical situation brewing that required him to perform an action that is minimally discussed and practically never practiced, and assumed command when the situation warranted it. The landing of the airplane was incidental.

I can't believe so many otherwise intelligent pilots are having such a hard time understanding such a simple concept.

I might have to start driving more and non-revving less.

That's not the point being made Wizard. The FO did an amazing job by realizing there was a critical situation brewing that required him to perform an action that is minimally discussed and practically never practiced, and assumed command when the situation warranted it. The landing of the airplane was incidental.

Yup.... A job well done to the FO.

I also feel for this guy. If it turns out he had a medical condition that came on suddenly that made him no longer fit to fly (seems likely) then I think he needs some relief here. Hopefully he recovers from this, and when he does he sure doesn't need to be facing jail time.

Theoretically, he could log the time from when he locked Osbon out of the cockpit, up to the point the non-rev CA assumed command.
Not sure if I'd want that particular entry in my logbook though.

The other captain "assisted". He did not take command.

The other captain "assisted". He did not take command.

Not necessarily true. If he was a current and qualified JB captain, he would be expected to take command. By that point, though, the crucial decision to take over from the captain had already been made by the FO, so that takes absolutely nothing away from him. I'm sure the non-rev's captain's role will be clarified later when a proper analysis is finished.

2) This incident might not be psychological in nature either. There may be something physically wrong to account for his behavior. By all accounts, it wasn't typical.

I'm not trying to pick on you Blue Dude, but this comment gets me a bit riled up. There is a stigma in this country for having mental issues unless they are "medical", as in, if you get cancer that is an understandable medical issue but if you have mental issues/depression/breakdown that is a sign of weakness or poor character. In reality most mental issues are just as random, just as "physical", and more devastating. They are just less understood.

Latest resources

Back