• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue and fuel stops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Better watch out! These fuel stops will drive customers back into the waiting arms of the legacies. (And the lousy service, no IFE and lost baggage will send them right back! ;) ) TC

oldxfr8dog said:
We are usually on opposite sides, my friend. But I couldn't agree with you more in this case.

Hey, I am trying to look out for the BOTH of us. I recognize that you have a great company, but transcon turns are a bad idea, with the headwinds or a line of weather across the country. Doing that VOR 13L at JFK after 10 hours in the air alone can't be safe. (maybe if you had crew rest with bunks)

Here are some of your flights today (SAT) that had to fuel stop:

JB308-IAD--LGB---stop in MSP
311---IAD--LGB---Stop in DEN
169---JFK--SJC---stop in MSP
93----JFK--SEA---------SLC
181---JFK--SAN---------SLC
101---JFK--OAK---------SLC
91----JFK--OAK---------DEN
191---JFK--LAS---------SLC
197---JFK--LAS---------ABQ
193---JFK--LAS---------DEN
351---JFK--BUR---------DEN
205---JFK--LGB---------SLC
221---JFK--LGB---------ABQ
355---JFK--BUR---------ABQ
209---JFK--LGB---------DEN

That's all I looked up. That has got to throw the schedule out the window, but most of your flights westbound don't have connections, so no biggie I guess. I bet America West also had some fuel diverts with their A320s from NYC to PHX nonstop. I am not trying to slam JB, rather looking at the range of that A320 when full. The A319 has the range though (Private Air flies one from Dusseldorf to ORD nonstop).

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General:

I have flown the VOR 31 at JFK in 4 aircraft types.....and I hardly consider it to be "challenging".

Therefore it should be as easy the first leg of the day or the last.

A350

A350 said:
General:

I have flown the VOR 31 at JFK in 4 aircraft types.....and I hardly consider it to be "challenging".

Therefore it should be as easy the first leg of the day or the last.

A350

I don't consider a straight in localizer approach difficult either. But when you are tired and the conditions are nasty, it can be. Take the J-32 that bought it in Kirksville, MO on the LOC 36 approach not too long ago for example. You might note that it happened on the last leg of a long day after a multi-day trip at night in low weather.

Last edited:
Seeing how the weather has to be 800-2 1/4 mile for the approach, it is damn near VMC. Hardly low.

If you read the report on that accident, I believe there was some jocular activity going on. Hardly something you do when your exhausted.

A350

Mugs said:
I don't consider a straight in localizer approach difficult either. But when you are tired and the conditions are nasty, it can be. Take the J-32 that bought it in Kirksville, MO on the LOC 36 approach not too long ago for example. You might note that it happened on the last leg of a long day after a multi-day trip at night in low weather.

He's talking about the VOR 13L - not the straight-in VOR 31!

The "Canarsie" VOR 13L can get pretty exciting when the winds are gusty... at night... after a long duty day.... 'nuff said.

General,

I am certain that if your airline was trying these transcon things you would be a supporter. Back to banland for you.

A350 said:
Seeing how the weather has to be 800-2 1/4 mile for the approach, it is dang near VMC. Hardly low.

If you read the report on that accident, I believe there was some jocular activity going on. Hardly something you do when your exhausted.

A350

Wrong. Thats exactly what you do when your exhausted. You lose your edge and your wits. Fatigue studies are compared to the equivalent use of alcohol all the time. ALso, why do you think the weather has to be 800 /2-1/4. Because its a non-precision and ALL non-precisions are considered difficult compared to the ILS, thus the name "non-precision".

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back