Jetblue and college degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think so.

9 of the guys in my type class 3/05 got the call, all had degrees. 4 were military, but the civilians guys,which are all great guys by the way, all had at least a 4 year. and my time is very competitive.

oh, well

Correct me if I'm wrong, but David Neeleman has no degree.

LJDRVR said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but David Neeleman has no degree.

Either does Bill Gates or P Diddy. Well they never completed college. They all saw it for the bullsh*t that it is. Nothing like learning Business 101 from a Professor who has worked his way up in the educational system, and never even owned a business.

pilotyip said:
Red only was speaking the truth as I see it. We have had 7 pilots interview at JB, 4 had degrees, 3 did not, JB hired 2 without degrees and 1 with a degree. As I said I only speak the truth as I see it. I believe Part 121 TJ PIC counts as or more than a degree. I have seen non-degreed pilots hired at SWA, NWA, UAL, JB, AirTran, and Spirit. I do not believe the degree is the difference maker.

You can add AWA and CAL to that list.

This is just my opinion of course ... but those of us in the aviation profession without a college education are lowering the profession. Once upon a time, flying commercial aircraft in the United States was respected and admired similar to that of a medical doctor. Today, with Jetblue and others hiring so many with just the very basics of formal education, I am not surprised at the implosion of this industry in terms of peer status and remuneration. A college education used to separate white from blue collar (and compensation followed accordingly) ... but now with so many hired by the start-ups with little, if any, formal education it is no wonder this industry finds itself in such drastic decline.

College is more than just a formal education. It is a testament to one's character that you have the drive and determination to achieve something difficult. Perhaps this is why all branches of the US military REQUIRE a college education for its leaders (officers). Those of you who took the easy road and skipped college can attempt to justify your decision all you want. In the end, you lacked the intestinal fortitude to obtain that degree and will spend the rest of your life attempting to dismiss its significance and justify your myriad of excuses for not rolling up your sleeves and working your butt off to obtain that degree like the majority of your peers.

I can think of no other rational reason (than laziness) for not obtaining a college degree. Many of my peers worked their way through college (as did my wife), so I'm confident that if the desire was there, so was the means. In the end, when you are laying on your death bed reflecting on your humble life on this earth, will you say you tried your "hardest"? ... like we were taught in kindergarten ... or will you say you took the easy road? It's YOUR life and YOUR choices ...

BBB

Big Beer Belly said:
This is just my opinion of course ... but those of us in the aviation profession without a college education are lowering the profession. Once upon a time, flying commercial aircraft in the United States was respected and admired similar to that of a medical doctor. Today, with Jetblue and others hiring so many with just the very basics of formal education, I am not surprised at the implosion of this industry in terms of peer status and remuneration. A college education used to separate white from blue collar (and compensation followed accordingly) ... but now with so many hired by the start-ups with little, if any, formal education it is no wonder this industry finds itself in such drastic decline.

College is more than just a formal education. It is a testament to one's character that you have the drive and determination to achieve something difficult. Perhaps this is why all branches of the US military REQUIRE a college education for its leaders (officers). Those of you who took the easy road and skipped college can attempt to justify your decision all you want. In the end, you lacked the intestinal fortitude to obtain that degree and will spend the rest of your life attempting to dismiss its significance and justify your myriad of excuses for not rolling up your sleeves and working your butt off to obtain that degree like the majority of your peers.

I can think of no other rational reason (than laziness) for not obtaining a college degree. Many of my peers worked their way through college (as did my wife), so I'm confident that if the desire was there, so was the means. In the end, when you are laying on your death bed reflecting on your humble life on this earth, will you say you tried your "hardest"? ... like we were taught in kindergarten ... or will you say you took the easy road? It's YOUR life and YOUR choices ...

BBB

Oh please spare me the b.s. Most people I know in this industry that don't have a degree were anything but lazy. They had to pay for their own flight training, all while busting their' azzes to pay for it and pay for food, rent, etc. I've also noticed that these people that came up the hard way are also least likely to PFT, and also the ones who are hard core about getting a good wage. There's no correlation whatsoever between a degree and wage in this industry. Wages are low because pilots are whores. I know more multi-millionaires with high school educations than I do with college educations. It is better to have the degree than not have it but if someone has a vision and college isnt in their plans I'd say go for it. The only thing seperating wealthy intelligent people from paycheck to paycheck living intelligent people is that one of them took risks, and the other didn't.

Big Beer Belly said:
with little, if any, formal education it is no wonder this industry finds itself in such drastic decline.

BBB

And I thought 9/11 had something to do with it..

dang, should have gone to college.

Trijet
Lazy bum

Last edited:
Gee, that's funny. Two of the best pilots, and street smart guys I know fly for UPS, WITH NO COLLEGE DEGREE. I have a degree from a well known aviation college, and I'm on furlough #3. I think it helps to have a degree in this highly competitive job market, but not the end all requirement some would make it out to be.

TriJet said:
And I thought 9/11 had something to do with it..

dang, should have gone to college.

Trijet
Lazy bum

Perhaps if you HAD gone to college you might have understood the context the sentence referenced; i.e, "status and remuneration" (found in the preceding sentence). :D

BBB

I'll have to side with having a college degree.
Granted, college won’t make you any smarter. Intelligence is something you’re born with, but it will certainly make you more knowledgeable. Attending college will broaden your understanding of the world you live in. In school you are exposed to different lines of thinking that might ordinarily not have pondered. It tends to shed ignorance and breed open-mindedness. This may be a valuable trait in obtaining a job in any field, whether it be aviation or not. You may learn about things and concepts you never knew existed. New hobbies and interests may develop out of pedagogical exposure. It may also do wonders to enhance you conversational skills and broaden your depth as a person. Chicks dig smart guys. Having a degree also provides you with a backup career should you lose you medical or for some reason no longer be able to fly professionally. It’s important to remember though, that it’s not college itself, but what’s learned in college. There are many self-learned people who haven’t attended college that have more knowledge than someone who has. College only provides the structure for exposing you to new ways of thinking by providing an outline of what necessary areas of academia should be acquired at a minimum. Fine example, albeit fictional, was the movie “Good Will Hunting.” I have plenty of friends who are extremely smart that have suffered for not possessing a degree. Although they would be a huge asset to any company that would hire them, they have to work jobs that are less than desirable because they lack this minimum qualification. These days, a college degree is the equivalent of a H.S. diploma from years ago.

You’re never too old to attain a degree, whether it be part-time, full-time, online or whatever. Good luck with your future endeavors, and do apply to JetBlue. If you’re a fine pilot and have great interpersonal skills, and can hold an intelligent conversation you WILL surely be hired.

.NYCPilot.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back