Jetblue and college degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wrong again beer

Beer, again you are off track, the glory days you refer to had a higher percentage of non-degreed pilots than exists today. They were the Capt.’s who retired in the last 10 years. They were hired in the 60's. Back then a degree was not even a consideration. In fact I may have missed being a Delta career pilot job by staying in college. Back in 1963 you could be come a Navy pilot with two years of college, I would have gotten out in 1968. In 1968 Navy P-3 pilots were hired by Delta without degrees, it was almost automatic. To continue the discussion of the merits of the college degree. It has been posted that I am anti-college degree. Nothing cold is further from the truth. The country needs all the college educated citizens it can have, its raises the level of knowledge to keep this as the greatest country in the world. Real degrees in business, engineering, the sciences, math, and medicine provide a graduate with marketable skills. If you are going to go to college, get a real degree from a real university. Do not spend four years getting a degree in Women’s Studies. However this is not an engineering forum, this is an aviation forum. The college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Many have posted they agree it has nothing to do with the mastering on an airplane. I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry. If a potential pilot feels they will only be pleased in life if they get an interview with UPS, then that prospective pilot should go to college. Air Inc advertises that 172 airlines and assorted aviation companies are recruiting right now, I only see five that make the degree a showstopper. My assertion that runs contrary to the ‘College is a must” crowd, is that to be competitive for the other 167 places the degree is not necessary. If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary. Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, NOT because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them. These pilots want to get on with their lives flying airplanes. I have seen too many non-degreed pilots reach a good career position with out a degree. Then my focus is on job satisfaction and not upon pay, respect, partying in college and prestige. It is about the joy of flying an airplane. Others out there may feel the same motivation I do.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them. These pilots want to get on with their lives flying airplanes.

I will go out on a limb and say if one lacks basic intelligence, maybe a carrier as a professional pilot is not the "right" path for them.

Sorry pilotyip, I know you missed a word or two and this is not what you meant to say, but I couldn't resist.

as214 said:
Either does Bill Gates or P Diddy. Well they never completed college. They all saw it for the bullsh*t that it is. Nothing like learning Business 101 from a Professor who has worked his way up in the educational system, and never even owned a business.

keep short changing yourself as214. the odds of you being another bill gates or P diddy are about slim to none. unfortunately for you, most people have them nowadays. it is a competitve thing and has no bearing on whether you can make an airplane go up or down.

get with the program.... or not.:)

Red, thanks for reading my term paper and correcting it.

Guys,

I think we've beat this to death.

Just a simple question about JB hiring preferences turned into a lecture from some guy who is probably out on furlough.

Trijet

Last edited:
Trijet between the BS, I think you got your answer. The degee is not a make or break item when getting hired at JB.

Pilotyip.

I appreciate all your inputs.

Thanks again.

Trijet

Latest resources

Back