• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue and college degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If someone wants to go to college for any reason; go for it. But you do not need to go to college to be successful as a pilot. College is not a requirement like getting an ATP to pursue a pilot's career.

pilotyip said:
If someone wants to go to college for any reason; go for it. But you do not need to go to college to be successful as a pilot. College is not a requirement like getting an ATP to pursue a pilot's career.

Your on SWA D board. You have two identical candidates. Same experience, same hours, same age, same fun loving SWA personality. SWA is only hiring one. The other goes home. One has a four year degree, the other doesn't. Everyone on that D board has a four year degree. Who is getting hired? Nobody said getting a degree made you a successful or proficient pilot. It is about being making yourself more qualified than the other candidates.

Last edited:
No body in college taught you how to write "YOU'RE"?

TriJet said:
No body in college taught you how to write "YOU'RE"?

Did anybody in high school teach you how to spell "nobody"? DOH! You have to feel really stupid about now. It is ok. I will be the bigger person and say that you where in such a rush to defend your insecurities that it was an accident.

Last edited:
sorry, but I am with trijet,
and BBB you are ridiculous.

I wouldn't call Navy Diving school a shortcut or the easy way out.

I have at least 100 friends still in that world, we all meet once a year, I'll bring that up next time.

I was 18, joined the Navy, didn't have money for college. I personally wouldn't give up my life's eexperiences to compare to some of these guys I fly with that have only gone to college and lived in the US and have never traveled abroad to appreciate where we all live.

Last edited:
rdj, this is a JB thread, but I think you have it wrong about SWA, they are one of the airlines that does not let the absence of a college degree stand in the way of hiring the right guy. I would almost bet their ratio of non-degreed applicants to non-degreed hire actually favors the non-degreed pilot. If 95% of pilots applying have college degrees, they are very common almost everyone has one, and 94% of the new hire have degrees, the non-degreed pilot has the advantage. Why would that be? Because the non-degreed pilot, starting flying professionally earlier than the pilot who went to Full Time College. A far as picking an equal candidate because he has a degree like me, I think the SWA selection committee is smarter than that.

pilotyip said:
rdj, this is a JB thread, but I think you have it wrong about SWA, they are one of the airlines that does not let the absence of a college degree stand in the way of hiring the right guy. I would almost bet their ratio of non-degreed applicants to non-degreed hire actually favors the non-degreed pilot. If 95% of pilots applying have college degrees, they are very common almost everyone has one, and 94% of the new hire have degrees, the non-degreed pilot has the advantage. Why would that be? Because the non-degreed pilot, starting flying professionally earlier than the pilot who went to Full Time College. A far as picking an equal candidate because he has a degree like me, I think the SWA selection committee is smarter than that.

Pilotyip, you really go out of your way to preach ignorance don't you. Your reasoning is comical.

Only what I have seen

Red only was speaking the truth as I see it. We have had 7 pilots interview at JB, 4 had degrees, 3 did not, JB hired 2 without degrees and 1 with a degree. As I said I only speak the truth as I see it. I believe Part 121 TJ PIC counts as or more than a degree. I have seen non-degreed pilots hired at SWA, NWA, UAL, JB, AirTran, and Spirit. I do not believe the degree is the difference maker.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back