• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue and American?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because I think it is extraordinarily unlikely, and believe he is either delusional, unable to engage in complex thought, or fear mongering.

We will know in 30 days if he is full of #hit.

You have to impossibly gullible to believe news reports of this nature and not understand that these companies all have nefarious motives. That is before we even discuss journalistic inaccuracies.

I generally support ALPA. But I won't be dishonest.

This is not fear mongering. American has stated they like what they see in JetBlue, we give American a fighting chance to stay competitive in the ny market, and our stock is in the toilet. Don't think for a second anyone is saying American will purchase us in 30 days, but also don't think ALPA could be elected in 30 days. This is a long process, a long time when we as pilots, who have the most to lose in a transaction, are completely unprotected. Do I think American will buy us? Not in banckruptcy, but do I think we could merge? Yes. All it would take is American offering our investors 3 billion worth of the new company (doubling our investors money) and designating Dave as horton's successor to get this ball running.

I don't have a nefarious motive, but I'm also not blind to the peril in this industry. Even if american said tomorrow that they are merging with airways, such an announcement could send a tidalwave through the industry, triggering additional consolidation. We are a good company that has a good product in the largest and most restricted aviation market in the world... Don't think just because our elt says that we want to be organic in an email that we will be wearing a blue shirt even 2 years from now. Our buisness being as good as it is makes us a target, that is not fear mongering, that's just how it is.

Also smarta$$, we didn't make up the article, the wall street journal, Reuters, ny post, the times, etc are all reporting american's intentions. You have a belief that our elt will continue the organic path, but our elt hasn't done so much as put out a press release, a company statement, or even an email to express their resistance to this notion. Alaska already has done this, why hasn't JetBlue?

Lastly, give me a bit more credit. How many fear mongering posts have you seen from me? Im a pretty straight shot guy that doesn't criticize the business practices of this company. If it makes sense for American, and makes sense for our shareholders there is nothing to stop this from being a possibility.

Last edited:
Further more, American is in NO position to acquire anyone in a hostile fashion while in bankruptcy. Can't be done. And I have ZERO reason to believe JetBlue is a willing participant.

You have to be an absolute fool to find that article credible.

You have to be an absolute fool to think JetBlue has no reason to be an active participant. Enough money and anything is possible.

We just paid close to 100 million on 16 slots... JetBlue has 160 JFK slots, 16 lga, 17 DCA, a 1 billion dollar terminal in JFK, 10+billion dollars worth of jets, a *who knows how much* subsidiary called live tv, and the elimination of the lowest cost operator in NYC. That's worth a lot of money to any airline in the nation.

My comments were not really directed at you, I was answering your question about the other guys post.

It is not easy to take over a company or our size (not airline, company in general) without us being willing. You clearly think we are willing, I do not. We will just have to agree to disagree on that one.

But, we will know in 30 days if he has a "very real chance" of being completely wrong.

I agree, we are NOT protected. However, I am of the opinion that no employees are protected in America today, just the rich.

I do consider you level headed and intelligent, but I do have to point out the obvious. The news article originated from Reuters. They are a news source for other news papers, so others just reprint what they say or use them as a source. So it doesn't matter how many papers print it, it doesn't make it more valid. Also, the report said that all 5 airlines expressed interest, yet Alaska came out (aparently) and said that wasn't true. So, why should I believe that the other airlines expressed interest? Why didn't JetBlue respond? Maybe they like the rumor. Maybe just don't give a ********************. Maybe it helps JB stock price to leave the rumor unanswered. Maybe it negatively affects a competitor. Maybe they just don't feel compelled to make a statement either way...

Until something happens, I am right and the chicken littles are wrong, because I believe the status quo will remain and they are predicting a change to the status quo...

However, anything is possible...

My comments were not really directed at you, I was answering your question about the other guys post.

It is not easy to take over a company or our size (not airline, company in general) without us being willing. You clearly think we are willing, I do not. We will just have to agree to disagree on that one.

But, we will know in 30 days if he has a "very real chance" of being completely wrong.

I agree, we are NOT protected. However, I am of the opinion that no employees are protected in America today, just the rich.

I do consider you level headed and intelligent, but I do have to point out the obvious. The news article originated from Reuters. They are a news source for other news papers, so others just reprint what they say or use them as a source. So it doesn't matter how many papers print it, it doesn't make it more valid. Also, the report said that all 5 airlines expressed interest, yet Alaska came out (aparently) and said that wasn't true. So, why should I believe that the other airlines expressed interest? Why didn't JetBlue respond? Maybe they like the rumor. Maybe just don't give a ********************. Maybe it helps JB stock price to leave the rumor unanswered. Maybe it negatively affects a competitor. Maybe they just don't feel compelled to make a statement either way...

Until something happens, I am right and the chicken littles are wrong, because I believe the status quo will remain and they are predicting a change to the status quo...

However, anything is possible...

Juiiiiiiice!

Yup. Any one that doesn't bash the company, think the sky is falling, and think we will all be on the street tomorrow must drink the juice. That must be it.

No, I rarely bash the company, but I believe in pilot protection and I want a CBA. There are some levelheaded guys around us... (not line)

We will know in 30 days if he is full of #hit.

Critical thinking skills escaping you again, huh?

Look at my post... read it SLOWLY... repeat it a couple of times. Maybe you will understand it.

It says... a new union drive is more than 30 days away. If it takes more 30 days to START a drive... how long until a vote? 60 days... 90 days? I don't know. But... I do know that 3 months is a long time to be humming around with your junk flapping in the wind like we don't have a care in the world.

Do I think AA can grab us if we don't want them too? No. Can we get tied up if jetBlue is willing? Oh, heck yeah! B6 "Pravda" has been very aggressive about putting new articles to rest in the past. Yet... this time... nothing but crickets so far.

What do I REALLY think is going to happen? I think it has been made very apparent that we are a target for AA after they emerge. I think both Delta and Southwest have a vested interest in making sure that AA doesn't get us. Where we wind up... I have no clue. But... I'm 100% sure that we are involved in the chess game.

Ya know... if you would ratchet down the smarta$$ attitude (see what I did right there) you might be able to have a productive, adult conversation sometime. Until then... just go get the walk around while I continue to sip on my coffee.

Could AA merge with us? I have believed for the longest time that it is the most likely scenario, with WN coming in second.

We are the foreign exchange student with big tits at the dance right now. New(er) airplanes, tons of NYC slots, and a JFK operation that would give AA a hardon bigtime.

I don't believe a damn thing of what the ELT says about organic growth and all that crap. Barger can spout off till the cows come home about not wanting to merge, but it's not up to him. It's up to the money behind him. I can promise you, if JP and the BOD stand to make a couple billion dollars, they are NOT going to say no. They would be stupid if they did.

Nothing happens quickly in this business. The reality may very well be that AA isn't interested in us, Alaska, Frontier, or anybody. They may simply be trying to put out this press release to drive up LCC's participation and the payout they get from merging with them. Negotiation 101: Show potential suitors that they have competition.

Of course, those of you that think a union is going to be ironclad protection are dreaming. All you have to do is look at history to know that is not true. At least, though, if we have a seat at the table, and a CBA, we have Allegheny/Mohawk and McB on our side. Right now we have jack squat. Best case scenario right now: A staple with fences. All you senior captains that think a CBA is your ticket to the left seat of a 767 in a couple of years are smoking crack. The best thing you can hope for, even with a union, is a little bit of integration with the MD80/737 guys at AA. You'll be lucky if the APA acquiesces you that.

Of course, the best case scenario with a union is not much better, we just basically guarantee that we get on the seniority list. I'm OK with that. The YOUNGEST pilot on AA's list right now is 36 years old. With McB legislation and a union we will be merged and placed AHEAD of all the AA furloughs. Without a CBA, we have NOTHING. It is completely uncharted territory. There is no way in hell we will all be dumped tomorrow if it happens, that is completely impractical for the company. But there isn't anything that will keep them from dumping us in the future if they deem it more cost efficient. I really don't think that will happen, but anything is possible.

Being bought/merged or remaining independent we still need a CBA and have to stay on that track. We cant control what AA does, or what the JB BOD does. We can only control our efforts towards a CBA.

Being bought/merged or remaining independent we still need a CBA and have to stay on that track. We cant control what AA does, or what the JB BOD does. We can only control our efforts towards a CBA.

Exactly. There is no sense bitching about it, or worrying about it. There is not a damn thing in the universe we can do except vote in a union and see what happens.

Latest resources

Back