• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue and ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just read another thread were that debate goes on so I figured I would toss in some perspective based on our experience from another relatively small airline that's ALPA. We (Hawaiian) are smaller (650 pilots) than JetBue yet there has been no down side from being ALPA at all. The support and resources available from ALPA National has been invaluable to us and instrumental in every contract negotiation we have had. Without it we would not have accomplished what we have, no question about it. It works, we have gone through tough concessionary times and more prosperous times, but the resources of a national union has been extremely important to preserving as much as we could during the tough times and those same resources have allowed us a very good contract that we would not have gotten with an in house union. As with any union, it's really the membership that ultimately drives the results, but don't let anyone tell you that the resources of a national union can't produce huge results.
JetBlue is here to stay, a union will not change anything except yield better working conditions and benefits for the pilot group and if you can keep the internal politics in check you'll do even better.

And this.....I can assure any JB pilot that is concerned about being a smaller ALPA carrier that it is not a problem. Those saying it is are simply wrong. I know the ALPA bashers like to spread that little bit of misinformation, but having ALPA as a resource has been nothing but positive for our 650 pilot sized airline.

Who has a higher E190 pay rate Jet Blue or United?

Looking at pay rates alone is a horrible argument. Why don't we compare healthcare, retirement, profit sharing, sick time and vacation accrual, and career salary expectation. Are there a lot of 12 year 190 CAs at United? I doubt it.

Pay rates are only 1 piece of the puzzle.

Who has better retirement, health insurance, work rules, career expectations, merger language, profit sharing, etc?

JetBlue or United?

Lets put in another way how many United pilots have applications in at jetBlue? How many JetBlue Pilots have applications in at United?

The only in-house that has ever worked is SWAPA. That's only because the company helped set it up, fund it and supported it. Sure APA is an in-house but that only came after APA voted out Alpa which was an established union. It's easy to go from established national union to an in-house, since you already have a CBA, funding, committees, MEC/LEC reps and a working relationship with your pilots/company.

When you start off cold turkey and without company support (and especially a very hostile company stance from a NY based, Lorenzo disciple Barger) it's suicidal... like showing up to a gun fight w/ a Swiss Army knife.

Alpa is a turn key operation. Funding, support, legal, aeromedical and insurance. Fact... NO ONE legally has to pay a cent of dues money to any union until the date of the first CBA ratification... how long does it take for the average first contract in this industry??? About 2-4 years... so Mr. In-house union guy... who's gonna pay for all those dues that the BOB's refuse to pay during those 2-4 years in your in-house? Now w/ Alpa, they'll try to get you to pay dues, but will cover your expenses in the beginning.

Remember Colgan in KBUF??? Colgan had just voted in Alpa less than 6 weeks prior to that accident. They hadn't even finished voting in their MEC officers, yet Alpa was there w/ FULL support.

Now tell me, in-house union guys, BOBS and Alpa haters... Who would've done that for Colgan had they just voted in a in-house????

NO ONE... that's who.

Don't be soft in the head guys. This is your last chance. The end-game. Vote in your right to negotiate a better career... we've all seen how collaboration has worked... where's that premium again???? vote Alpa.

Tailhookah...

Last edited:
Why go with ALPA when we are having trouble getting 50% of our pilots to
vote yes? The in-house option would have far better participation. If a CBA is what we need go with the sure thing. Yes we all know its expensive......SWAPA did okay

Not happening

Latest resources

Back