• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue Airways' CEO receives compensation of nearly USD900,000

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Come on, Blueside, what's your agenda? You are trying to shift the blame away from our executives somehow and toward Prater and ALPA? What kind of shell game is that?

Yes on JBPA. Yes again on ALPA.

No agenda here, just making sure we have a complete record.
But what do you think is the agenda of this thread in the first place; a thread that is started with only a press release regarding Barger’s compensation; started by no other than the number One ALPA Cheerleader here on FI.? Is it to stir the pot? No…… of course not.
I am sure it was just done to inform the public and JB Crewmembers in particular as ALPA prepares for a Union drive.
Well, I agree information is important in the political process and in this spirit I posted Prater’s compensation. That is all.

Finally with all the media talk about compensation at Wall Street and CEO’s all round the country. Why not having a fair discussion on compensation of Leadership in general, including Unions?
Here is my take.
Dave Barger is running a good business and when judging his performance against that of his peers he is doing very well. He was able to raise money during a very difficult time for JB (07-08), brought us through the oil crisis, conserved cash, modestly expended the airline, and added new job.
JetBlue treats me well and pays my bills; of course there is always room for improvement. And the PVC is working on it. Therefore, I have no problem with him making this kind of money.

As far as ALPA is concerned, I could care less what Prater makes, since I do not donate to his salary. However, for those that do donate to the ALPA machine, it is reasonable to at least ask does Prater’s performance match his compensation?
So, let see who wants to take this one. Anyone…………

Dave Barger is running a good business and when judging his performance against that of his peers he is doing very well.

Agreed, Blueside.

But let's focus on us, the pilots. Compared to our peer group, we're performing very well too. Do we not contribute significantly by running a safe, efficient operation that factors into JD Powers rankings, etc. Or is that all just the execs?

So why hasn't our compensation been adjusted radically upward with a snap of the fingers? Is that a benefit that only applies to executives? If so, then how exactly do we benefit from our open and direct relationship with management?

The execs do a great job of defending their compensation without any help from us. So instead of throwing out the red herring of Prater's salary and defending Dave's pay, why not simply pick up the flag for your fellow pilots? Last time I checked, we're the ones that put our hard-won FAA certificates on the line every day.

Respectfully,

Lebowski

Last edited:
Name and Address AIR LINE PILOTS ASN AFL-CIO NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
535 HERNDON PARKWAY
HERNDON, VA 20170

Fiscal Year: 2007
File Num: 000-179Form
Type LM-2 (Revised)Individual
Name JOHN H PRATER
Title/Status PRESIDENT
Gross Salary $294,979
Allowances Disbursed $169,800
Offical Business Disbursements $14,915
Total Disbursements $479,694

Those "allowances and business disbursements" cover his expenses of doing his job. It's not money that he gets on a paycheck. It pays for his hotels, housing in DC (he doesn't live there, you know), his transportation, etc... What you should take note of is his actual salary: "$294,979. That's pretty low for an executive. For the responsibility he has, working 16 hour days, 6-7 days a week, I'd say he's woefully underpaid.

As far as ALPA is concerned, I could care less what Prater makes, since I do not donate to his salary. However, for those that do donate to the ALPA machine, it is reasonable to at least ask does Prater’s performance match his compensation?

It does. The ALPA Prez works 6 days a week.

One has to understand the fact that the ALPA Prez is a politician... Many hate politics, however, unfortunately, politics is where the Air Line Pilot career is managed, sans Jetblue pilots. If you consider the job skills to politic the airline pilot career on K Street, then perhaps the pay is fair.

In addition, the ALPA Prez pay is determined and voted on by ALPA's members. There is a process in place for line pilots to adjust the pay accordingly, thru elected reps at the BOD. What kind of say do you have in Bargers pay? Is his pay part of the PVC realm?

You need not worry about ALPA, despite your continued benefits from the the organization.

I'd be more concerned with your weak compensation package that drags all of us down. Interesting that Bargers compensation comes shortly after jb pilots vote down a union. A reward no doubt of not an ill timed award.

If I were a jb pilot, I would be furious. Your bills might be getting paid, but that doesn't mean you are being paid fairly or justly. IOW, it is about value. You are not being compensated for what you are worth. Would you over pay for a service or product when you spend your income? Then why would you offer your services for much less than they are worth? Because you can 'pay your bills'?

If you want to be a 'crewmember' with the FA's, rampers, cleaners, and gate agents... go for it... 'pay your bills'....

The rest of us expect to be compensated fairly, read that again, fairly, for education, training, experience and responsibility....

The fact that your CEO ignores your qualifications, like all of our CEO's sans SWA perhaps, then takes a over grossed compensation package is telling... Have you wondered where his over compensated pay package comes from? Recall you are under compensated... Why does one guy... get so much, while so many get so little. Is that fair, reasonable or right?

The choice will always be yours to 'pay your bills' and be treated like a gate agent, with the skills and responsibilities of an air line pilot....

I know, I know, times are tough, you should be lucky. The economy is down, just be happy.... All great talking points... I can assure you, no matter the condition of the economy, jb and its union busting consultants that it hires with the money made of of your hard work, will always have a message designed to guilt you into just 'paying your bills'. Meanwhile, Bargers compensation indicated times are great.... strange isn't it.... the disconnect.... For you, the economy is tough, just be happy, but for Barger, it could never be better...

Here is the new slogan for the independent contractor crewmembers of jet blue, many of which are pilots...

Jetblue crewmembers.... we 'pay our bills'

Those "allowances and business disbursements" cover his expenses of doing his job. It's not money that he gets on a paycheck. It pays for his hotels, housing in DC (he doesn't live there, you know), his transportation, etc... What you should take note of is his actual salary: "$294,979. That's pretty low for an executive. For the responsibility he has, working 16 hour days, 6-7 days a week, I'd say he's woefully underpaid.

It is expenses reported as income.....

It is as if the cost of hotels for pilots while on a trip is included in compensation figures... In addtion, personal income tax must be paid on those 'expenses reported as income'

Consider the ALPA Prez' work week like a pilots trip... except the Prez takes his laptop and phone home on the weekend and keeps on working...

No agenda here, just making sure we have a complete record.
But what do you think is the agenda of this thread in the first place; a thread that is started with only a press release regarding Barger’s compensation; started by no other than the number One ALPA Cheerleader here on FI.? Is it to stir the pot? No…… of course not.
I am sure it was just done to inform the public and JB Crewmembers in particular as ALPA prepares for a Union drive.
Well, I agree information is important in the political process and in this spirit I posted Prater’s compensation. That is all.

Finally with all the media talk about compensation at Wall Street and CEO’s all round the country. Why not having a fair discussion on compensation of Leadership in general, including Unions?
Here is my take.
Dave Barger is running a good business and when judging his performance against that of his peers he is doing very well. He was able to raise money during a very difficult time for JB (07-08), brought us through the oil crisis, conserved cash, modestly expended the airline, and added new job.
JetBlue treats me well and pays my bills; of course there is always room for improvement. And the PVC is working on it. Therefore, I have no problem with him making this kind of money.

Ahh bluesideup...let me guess...you're a BOB? Military retirement? Tri care? That's what I thought. Put the juice down.

I don't have a problem with the amount Barger makes, fine with me, he deserves it, but I DO have a problem with what he wants to pay me. Fix that little issue and we can be friends!

I don't have a problem with the amount Barger makes, fine with me, he deserves it, but I DO have a problem with what he wants to pay me. Fix that little issue and we can be friends!

Couldn't agree more, that door needs to open both ways. They better be comming up with something spectacular or the ALPA train is going to come hard and fast i think.

...... In addition, the ALPA Prez pay is determined and voted on by ALPA's members. There is a process in place for line pilots to adjust the pay accordingly, thru elected reps at the BOD. What kind of say do you have in Bargers pay? Is his pay part of the PVC realm?......

Much like ALPA the BOD determines Barger's pay. Since, Pilots do not pay the CEO they have no say. Simple as that.

You need not worry about ALPA, despite your continued benefits from the the organization.

Pleazzze get over it. ALPA outlived it's usefulness 20 years ago.

I'd be more concerned with your weak compensation package that drags all of us down. Interesting that Bargers compensation comes shortly after jb pilots vote down a union. A reward no doubt of not an ill timed award.

If I were a jb pilot, I would be furious.

Apparently you are not. So why are you so into JB business?

.......Your bills might be getting paid, but that doesn't mean you are being paid fairly or justly. IOW, it is about value. You are not being compensated for what you are worth. Would you over pay for a service or product when you spend your income? Then why would you offer your services for much less than they are worth? Because you can 'pay your bills'?

If you want to be a 'crewmember' with the FA's, rampers, cleaners, and gate agents... go for it... 'pay your bills'....

The rest of us expect to be compensated fairly, read that again, fairly, for education, training, experience and responsibility....

So what is fairly? Give me a number. While you are at it. What is the fair compensation for a Furloughed ALPA CA with 15 years experience in todays market. Please, tell me.

The fact that your CEO ignores your qualifications, like all of our CEO's sans SWA perhaps, then takes a over grossed compensation package is telling... Have you wondered where his over compensated pay package comes from? Recall you are under compensated... Why does one guy... get so much, while so many get so little. Is that fair, reasonable or right?

Is it reasonable that after 20 years of Union membership I have to start at the bottom again? All my experience an loyal Union support in means nothing. Union contracts as written do not value my experience and value either.

The choice will always be yours to 'pay your bills' and be treated like a gate agent, with the skills and responsibilities of an air line pilot....

BTW JB treats me with respect. Not because I am an AIRLINE PILOT but because I am a human being. Also, why does a gate agent deserve a different or less respectful treatment then a Pilot? Are you really that arrogant?

Agreed, Blueside.

But let's focus on us, the pilots. Compared to our peer group, we're performing very well too. Do we not contribute significantly by running a safe, efficient operation that factors into JD Powers rankings, etc. Or is that all just the execs?

So why hasn't our compensation been adjusted radically upward with a snap of the fingers? Is that a benefit that only applies to executives? If so, then how exactly do we benefit from our open and direct relationship with management?

The execs do a great job of defending their compensation without any help from us. So instead of throwing out the red herring of Prater's salary and defending Dave's pay, why not simply pick up the flag for your fellow pilots? Last time I checked, we're the ones that put our hard-won FAA certificates on the line every day.

Respectfully,

Lebowski

Lebowski,
Let's see what the PVC and JB do workout. I agree our compensation needs improvement.

Latest resources

Back