Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chickenwolf

Winter is Coming!!!
Does anyone have any info on Jet Select of Columbus, OH? Particularly schedule, required proximity to base, LR31 PIC pay and room for upward movement (aircraft)?

Thanks

Good group of leaders there - above average treatment. Pilots are not viewed as "the help" but as valued assets. Promotion seems to be from within, you'll never be expected to do anything illeagal, stupid, or uncomfortable. Not your typical 135 deal.

I agree

Good core management, growing company going in the right direction. Treated with respect, never micro managed. Usual setup is 3 pilots per aircraft and your expected to formulate your own schedule. There is no "vacation". You are paid two weeks vacation throughout the year but when you want extended time off you just work with the other two guys,. Works out great when you have a good 3 person crew. Trips are what they say. TEB-ATL drop and come home empty you can alost bank on that happenning.
Good health/benefits, no 401k matching, but it is on the horizon.
All in all good, minor growing pains and they admit it.

Last edited:
IS it a lot of out and backs? I am thinking of moving 1:20 minutes away from CMH. ANyone know the average days on the road per month. Making your own schedule sounds great but I don't wanna make the round trip drive more than 4-5 times a month.

Thanks again

You have to live within 1 hour of the airport....company policy to meet 2 hour call-out requirements. One of the best 135 companies out there.

Be careful what you read here. They try to have 3 pilots per plane, but many don't so you are 24/7, 365 on call. This is right from the horses mouth with two pilots I know there.

Management used to run Jetride, but they spent their time managing Jetride by using Jetride's money to figure out how to form their own company. Once they figured it out, the bailed on Jetride.The former CP was an idiot and now flies the line for them.

Their aircraft are all managed, they own nothing. Managed aircraft can leave at a moments notice, leaving you high and dry. Be careful! Their owners are not people you want to work for.

Be careful what you read here. They try to have 3 pilots per plane, but many don't so you are 24/7, 365 on call.

Show me a charter company that has more than 3 pilots per plane, and then show me one that isn't short now and then a pilot.

The former CP was an idiot and now flies the line for them.

Can you back this up with examples of what made him/her an idiot? (btw, I have no clue who the "former CP" is)

Their aircraft are all managed, they own nothing.

Again, show me a charter company any more that actually owns their fleet. It doesn't exist - not even NetJets owns their fleet my friend.

Be careful! Their owners are not people you want to work for.

Do you know the owners? Do you know them personally? Can you give examples of why they are not people you want to work for?

I'm not defending your side or JetSelect's side...but don't throw derogatory remarks out without some support. Every company that is mentioned on this board has the same reputation. So if it's so bad at JetSelect, give us your experience and personal examples...not second-hand hearsay. That's only fair to the poor chap trying to learn more about the company.

Chickenwolf, it would be possible to have 14 out and backs in a 14 day rotation. That has probably never happened and probably never will, but it is possible. I would figure on 2 to 3 trips a week, with perhaps 1 or 2 RONs. One advantage is that they already have another LJ 31 on the line at CMH. I suspect the flying will be shared. They are currently hiring a CA/FO for a new addition to the fleet.

What Starcheckdriver says is not 100% correct. Right now there are only a couple aircraft not fully staffed. One and possibly two are new additions. The intent is to fully staff each aircraft. If your aircraft is short a pilot, they will give you a small bonus each month for working harder.

What happened with the guys that are running JS and Jetride, well I am sure that is complicated. From what I hear, it all started when Airnet started to try to market Jetride. They of course eventually sold out to Pinnacle. The CEO, CP, and a few others (one of which I believe was the CP at Jetride) are former Jetride guys. They don't own the place, so there must be a reason they bailed from Jetride. Business is business, I guess.

All but two aircraft are managed aircraft. Two of those aircraft are owned by the same entity that owns the business. They also have three other aircraft that are owned by an owner that does not fly very often. As in only 1 or 2 owner trips a year.

Their biggest problem right now is that they are going through growing pains. That translate into things not moving as quickly as most folks might like. Communication becomes a problem as management is busy flying and building the business. Don't take it personal, they know communication is a bit of a problem.

I can't comment on salary, but NBAA numbers should give you an idea. $40 a day per diem and 1 year training contract if you come without a type. All training is done at Bombardier/Simuflite.

I was not aware of the training contract - that is very disappointing to see another carrier sucumb to that type of scumbag deal. Hire right, treat 'em right, and no contract is needed.

I believe in the last 6 months they have had only 1 pilot leave by his own choosing. So I think JS is probably treating their people pretty good. They have had several guys make lateral moves from other 135 operators. At least three of them were current in the Lear 60. There must be a reason JS is attracting those kind of guys.

In this particular case I like to think that JS is protecting their owners and doing the responsible thing. Also, they know you aren't going to stay forever and they want to help you meet your goals, not hold you back.

Latest resources

Back