• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue's CFO Just Quit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It really pisses me off how people hijack these threads so lets get it back on track:

I did 8 years at a frac and have been at jb for 2 years. I will second the F9 guy stating that he gets 18 days off..

I flew min sked at about 72 hrs credit last month and got 19 days off all commutable.

This month is 17 days off 86 hrs and all trips with the exception of the last leg of the last pairing are commutable.

After I was here a year I was able to get at least 50% of my trips commutable and average 16-17 days off per month.

Even our guys on reserve are able at least 15-16 days off with the new long call reserve system.

I enjoyed the frac flying more as it was always changing and lots of fun places. I absolutely dont miss being on the road for 7-8 days at a time. I have so much flexibility with my schedule and can literally pick what days I want to work. It is by far the best benefit of this job.

It really pisses me off how people hijack these threads so lets get it back on track:

I did 8 years at a frac and have been at jb for 2 years. I will second the F9 guy stating that he gets 18 days off..

I flew min sked at about 72 hrs credit last month and got 19 days off all commutable.

This month is 17 days off 86 hrs and all trips with the exception of the last leg of the last pairing are commutable.

After I was here a year I was able to get at least 50% of my trips commutable and average 16-17 days off per month.

Even our guys on reserve are able at least 15-16 days off with the new long call reserve system.

I enjoyed the frac flying more as it was always changing and lots of fun places. I absolutely dont miss being on the road for 7-8 days at a time. I have so much flexibility with my schedule and can literally pick what days I want to work. It is by far the best benefit of this job.

I have to second that, the new long call system is great. In Sep I stayed home a total of 19 days with all of my long calls and one or two last day releases. Oct was even better 23 days at home. I'm already into my 6th one for Nov which puts me to at least 18 days off. At this rate I might keep bidding reserve in a few months when I can hold a line. Not so great for the paychecks but this is more time at home than I've ever had with any company.

It is odd how the subject changes so quickly on these threads. As far as JB vs. NJA you should ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you want to work for an absolute market leader (NJA is the undisputed market leader in the fractional world) or do you want to work for an airline getting battered from all sides (SWA, DAL, Spirit, VA, Air Tran) competing for the lowest-price passengers? Can you handle the stress of not working for a market leader?

2. Do you want to fly to the same destinations over and over (some people like structure) or do you want the ability to fly anywhere including very remote locations where you might have to use your flying skills? Some people don't mind flying JFK-MCO and back several times per tour.

3. Do you want to interface with interesting passengers (celebrities and sports stars here and there) or do you want to turn left and shut the cockpit door? JB would provide you the ability to avoid most customer contact - unlike Netjets.

4. Do you mind constantly flying into JFK during the snowy winter (let's not forget Valentine's day) and the turbulent summer? You will spend a lot of time at JFK working at JB - it's unavoidable...

5. Would you be ok with flying 1-2 aircraft types for the rest of your career or do you want to fly the latest and greatest bizjets as they roll out? Some people want to fly the Airbus forever and just let the autopilot fly...

Do Netjets pilots have to go that extra mile with their passengers? Yes. Does that entail baggage handling and maybe arranging ground transportation for owners? Probably. Do you need to be actually care about customer service at Netjets? Yes - without loyal customers you won't have a job.

With Netjets' new TA, the pay/benefits/domicile package will be very hard to beat. Sure, 7/7 could be hard on some people (although I think it allows you to plan your life and you get three weeks off in a row if you take a middle week off), but you can also choose from other schedule options. Check out the fractional board if you need more input.

Clickclickboom, I am betting that you never flew for Netjets. Other fractional carriers can't compete with Netjets' new TA and I think it warrants consideration by a lot of pilots out there. If I didn't like my gig so much I would be applying myself...

Now, back to the orginal topic.

Fractional vs. 121?

It is odd how the subject changes so quickly on these threads. As far as JB vs. NJA you should ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you want to work for an absolute market leader (NJA is the undisputed market leader in the fractional world) or do you want to work for an airline getting battered from all sides (SWA, DAL, Spirit, VA, Air Tran) competing for the lowest-price passengers? Can you handle the stress of not working for a market leader?

More times than not we are not the lowest cost from point "A" to point "B". Just check it out for yourself. Jetblue continues to make money and deliver a highly competitive product. We continue to win praise from both our passengers and numerous travel awards.
As for the stress level, just try and please some of the passengers at the fractional level, you are just another one of the hired help.

2. Do you want to fly to the same destinations over and over (some people like structure) or do you want the ability to fly anywhere including very remote locations where you might have to use your flying skills? Some people don't mind flying JFK-MCO and back several times per tour.

There is a great deal of variety in our flying, I agree that the fractional world see's a great deal more variety than the 121 world, however I will take the time at home in the 121 gig over the time spent sitting in an FBO any day.

3. Do you want to interface with interesting passengers (celebrities and sports stars here and there) or do you want to turn left and shut the cockpit door? JB would provide you the ability to avoid most customer contact - unlike Netjets.

Jetblue is one of the most interactive with the customer of any 121 airline I have ever witnessed. I would have to disagree with your assertion that we just turn left and close the door. Our customers overwhelming applause our interaction and continue to give their praise when it comes to our operation.

4. Do you mind constantly flying into JFK during the snowy winter (let's not forget Valentine's day) and the turbulent summer? You will spend a lot of time at JFK working at JB - it's unavoidable...

You're right, JFK sucks!

5. Would you be ok with flying 1-2 aircraft types for the rest of your career or do you want to fly the latest and greatest bizjets as they roll out? Some people want to fly the Airbus forever and just let the autopilot fly...

I am allright with just flying one type for the rest of my career. I have seen enough to know that most types are just about the same with a bit of differences concerning the avionics packages. Who cares? I would say that most aircraft types and pilots fly just about the same amount with the autopilot engaged as with the autopilot disengaged. Furthermore, most bizjet cockpits are quite small and I enjoy the spacious cockpit of the A-320.

Do Netjets pilots have to go that extra mile with their passengers? Yes. Does that entail baggage handling and maybe arranging ground transportation for owners? Probably. Do you need to be actually care about customer service at Netjets? Yes - without loyal customers you won't have a job.

Is that different from any other customer service job in aviation?

With Netjets' new TA, the pay/benefits/domicile package will be very hard to beat. Sure, 7/7 could be hard on some people (although I think it allows you to plan your life and you get three weeks off in a row if you take a middle week off), but you can also choose from other schedule options. Check out the fractional board if you need more input.

Reserve at Jetblue sucks! 12 days off guarenteed, that's it! However, reserve at most airlines suck, it is just the way it is. The long call only works some of the time, and not for every seat in every aircraft. When it does work you can expect anywhere from an extra 1-5 days off per month. That helps to make it a bit more palitable.

Clickclickboom, I am betting that you never flew for Netjets. Other fractional carriers can't compete with Netjets' new TA and I think it warrants consideration by a lot of pilots out there. If I didn't like my gig so much I would be applying myself...

In closing we all make choices when it comes to where we work and what we will are willing to do when it comes to our career's. I will put it to you and everyone out there that we are all more alike than we are different. We are all just trying to provide the best living and quality of life for ourselves and our families. It truly amazes me when people get on these web boards and belittle and criticize each other because of the choices that we have made. Each of us has made sacrafices to fit our situations or the circumstances that life has delt use.

This is our biggest problem as pilots, we are selfish and un carring about the other guy. If this were not true we would have figured out a long time ago how to truly hold our employeer's accountable and protect what we all have worked so hard to achieve.

Good luck and god bless all of our veterans.

I would not tell anyone not to consider nj I know many people at both the nja and nji side of the company and it is a good deal. If i was hired there after flops went down the tubes I would not have looked elsewhere.

That being said my primary motivation is FAMILY. I am fortunate enough to have other sources of income so for me I am all about the time off period.

The jb pairings are for the most part very productive and you work you butt off. It is not uncommon to have a 4 day trip with 6-7 hrs of flying and near min rest in between.. These trips go very senior

Do you want to interface with interesting passengers (celebrities and sports stars here and there)

When you say interface and someone else said interact-do you mean stuff like:

Sir your catering is located here?

I don't know about you but my pax at NJA used to come hang out with me at my crib all the time.

Before someone gets offended-NJA is a good place.
Way better than when I was there thanks to the NJA pilots hard work.
I would still have left though-not what I personally want to do for my career.

I have to second that, the new long call system is great. In Sep I stayed home a total of 19 days with all of my long calls and one or two last day releases. Oct was even better 23 days at home. I'm already into my 6th one for Nov which puts me to at least 18 days off. At this rate I might keep bidding reserve in a few months when I can hold a line. Not so great for the paychecks but this is more time at home than I've ever had with any company.

Yeah, cant complain. Flew 7 days last month. 2 this month. Average 23 days at home a month. Helps that I live at base:D

Since this thread has fallin off track, I might as well add my thoughts. (I will try to keep it brief).

1. Job security. For me, this is top of the list of priority.

2. Boring. Say what you want about NJs flying, but you cant call it boring.

3. Pay and benifits. With this IBB, JB cant compete with NJs.

Since this thread has fallin off track, I might as well add my thoughts. (I will try to keep it brief).

1. Job security. For me, this is top of the list of priority.

2. Boring. Say what you want about NJs flying, but you cant call it boring.

3. Pay and benifits. With this IBB, JB cant compete with NJs.

And this comes from a person with A320 time!!!! What about aircraft - how do the Netjets aircraft compare with the mighty Airbus? I guess the A320 wins on comfort up front...

And this comes from a person with A320 time!!!! What about aircraft - how do the Netjets aircraft compare with the mighty Airbus? I guess the A320 wins on comfort up front...

You cant beat the comfort of an A320. But again, for me, job security is more important.

Latest resources

Back