Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue vs. ATA - Please enlighten me!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Race Pilot

Okay, I have seen threads like this before and thought, "What in the world is this guy asking this question for, either place would be a great one to work at." Well, here goes. I have a class at ATA in the L-1011 starting October 7th. I am pretty fired up about it and feel like ATA really has their act together right now with the military contract piece as well as the scheduled service that they have been moving into more heavily over the past few years.

I now have an interview at Jet Blue on October 2nd and from a pure paycheck standpoint, it sounds like a great place to be, $56/hr first year vs $36 at ATA. Upgrade to Captain in nine months vs four years at ATA. Captain pay of $110/hr after that nine months with overtime pay of $165/hr over 70 hours. ATA now has a 401K as well as a new "B" plan. JB has a 401 K only. You can see where I am going with this.

Please let me know anything you can so that I can weigh out my options to determine what move is best for me in the long run. I just turned 42 so I may only have 18 years left to fly 121 although it could easily be 23. All these things need to be figured in. Thanks in advance for any and all advise.

Bill

My vote: JetBlue

Saw a program a few weeks back on CNN that profiled the CEO of JB. He's been successful at Morris Air, SWA, a Canadian start-up (can't remember the name), and now JetBlue. You can't argue with success.

First question. Is there a training contract at ATA? If not, go to ATA on the 7th. But don't miss that interview on the 2nd. That is if you are willing to take the job at jetBlue if it's offered. If you don't have the desire to work for jetBlue, don't accept the interview so someone else will have the chance. I expect that if you elect to go on the 2nd, you will prefer jetBlue over ATA. However, the process takes time and is very selective. I wouldn't want to be the one to suggest you not take the ATA job only to find out later you didn't get the jetBlue job. At least you have to option to come to JFK and check everything out. It's a good thing your class didn't start a week earlier....

Good luck in your decision. You're very fortunate to have to make one.

Well, I enjoy my job here at ATA and the flying has been fun, but I sure want to be a captain. Been here three and a half years and my guess is that a captain position is still a couple years away.

You're in a tough position, because you probably won't know the results of your JetBlue interview before the start of your ATA class. Unfortunately, ATA has a training contract, so if you start class at ATA then JetBlue calls, you'll have that contract hanging over you if you decide to leave. On the other hand, it's really hard to turn down a firm offer. JetBlue could place you in a hiring pool and then slow down growth and leave you treading water for a long time (see all the SWA guys on this board).

I was in a similar position three and a half years ago. I had an offer from Vanguard where captain upgrade was less than a year. I turned down a firm class date without knowing the results of my ATA interview. I was fortunate that ATA called a few days later and offered me a class. What's been depressing since then is watching guys get hired at JetBlue and becoming captains so quickly while upgrades at ATA have stagnated (I was flying with captains who had less than two years with the company when I finished IOE).

All things considered (such as commuting to JFK) I would choose JetBlue if I had an offer from both companies. For if they both went under, I'd rather be an out of work Airbus Captain than an out of work L-1011 FO.

Finally, realize that I'm just like every single airline pilot who always thinks that the grass is always greener on the other side. Good luck at what you decide. Do be humble though. Remember there are thousands of pilots who would love to be in your shoes now.

Re: Jet Blue vs. ATA - Please enlighten

Race Pilot said:
Well, here goes. I have a class at ATA in the L-1011 starting October 7th.

I now have an interview at Jet Blue on October 2nd and from a pure paycheck standpoint, it sounds like a great place to be.....
Bill

Dude, this is so easy....

Life is about choices, and contrary to what some will tell you, the more the better....

Keep in mind that you can't turn down what's not been offered.

Head to the interview, check it out, and look forward to your ATA class date. If JetBlue calls, well, you now have a choice to make, if not, be satisified that you put yourself in the best position to have all opportunities available to you. Good luck at the interview, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Race-

The ATA training contract could weigh in heavily with your decision. Maybe I'll find out what you decided if you show up for indoc on the 7th.

sayagain?

If you go to JB, maybe I can have your L1011 slot. I live in BWI and see those birds on the ramp everyday.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. I really appreciate all the input. I think the ATA training contract states that you don't owe them a thing until after your checkride. That's about six or eight weeks into it I think. I of course have never liked it when anyone took an opportunity away from someone else. So I would hate to start with ATA, get an offer from JB later and then decide to jump ship and head to JFK. However, some of the advice I have gotten in past weeks says that in this business that's just the way it goes sometimes and it's life in the airlines. That said, it's still hard for me to think that someone might be out there that really needs and wants the class and then I bail out after say four weeks taking that opportunity away.

Of course, as mentioned earlier, I'll never know if I don't at least go to the interview on the 2nd and see what shakes out. Then if JB calls with good news I'll have a lot of soul searching to do. I think I would be sincerely happy at either place, JB pays more money but ATA has some decent pay raises in their contract where JB does it whenever they feel like it. Also as mentioned ATA has a B plan but more money invested correctly in tax free instruments could make up for that.

I have read several posts that many of you guys who replied have made and they always seem to be well thought out and right on track. So again I appreciate the responses. Guess I'll be going to NY week after next and then probably to Indy on the 7th. After that we'll just wait and see. And of course I do feel blessed to have such decisions to make in a time like this. I hope we all get what we are looking for!!

Race Pilot,

For planning purposes, those not selected for the 2nd phase (background check and reference calls) are notified fairly quickly. However, the 2nd phase can take a month or more. Then your info will go before the hiring board which will meet shortly after if at all possible. Unfortunately, sometimes it can be tough to get all the members freed up at the same time so it could take a while longer. My point is that it may take a full 6-8 weeks to get the final answer and a week or so longer is not uncommon.

Good luck at ATA and have a great time in NY at the interview.

And no sayagain?, I haven't. In fact, I prefer General Tso's Kitty which I had just last week.

Latest resources

Back