• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue Requirements-1000hrs>20Klbs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Given that their upgrade times are running around one year I would say that their minimums may even be low.

Do most majors like to see this kind of weight of aircraft flown (over 20,000 lbs.) or is this the exception. For example, does a guy with let's say 1000 PIC in a Citation still have a shot at any major, let alone Jet Blue?

I can't recall any majors having this type of weight requirement as part of their minimums; though I think some may take into account the type of aircraft and operation into their scoring system when they rank applications. Numerous corporate pilots have been hired by major airlines. I believe having 1000hrs PIC in any turbine aircraft, including the Citation would be an asset.

I wonder who came up with 20,000lbs? I've got four type ratings and several thousand hours in turbine aircraft. I have well over 1000hr pic in one specific aircraft that has a max takeoff of 19,300lbs. It's all hydraulic, artifical feel, hits the buzzer at .87mach, I ground- steer with my left hand, and it has an overhead panel (so it's a "real airplane"- I think).

I've also got a 150 hours in an aircraft that weights over 25,000lbs. This bird is so stable a guy could fall asleep for a few minutes, wake up and not be off heading or altitude with the A/P off! I've never done it, but my sim partner did during a late night check ride for the type at Simuflite. You also don't have to think fast because it won't do over .76 mach. It has no leading edge devices and no more hydraulics than a C172RG.

My question to JetBlue is how does 701lbs effect my skills, decission making, communications, systems knowledge, operation procedures, and professionalizm in the cockpit?

Before reading the application requirements, 701lbs seem to be about the first 15 minutes of fuel burn.

Now 701lbs equates to 850 hours in an aircraft that I'm not currently flying. So basically it equates to over two years in the average corporate flight department.

Maybe I need to sleep for another 850 hours in the "big 25,000lb airplane" to get my skills up for JetBlue.

RWS,

You're taking it too personally. I'm not privy to why the cutoff was set at 20K, but it used to be 41K, then 30K. Would that make you feel better? It's an arbitrary cutoff, and you're reading too much into it. If you're bitter about it, maybe you shouldn't bother to apply to such a bad place.

I dont think RW is Bitter.

I think he was just venting. Nobody has said that JetBlue is a bad place. On the contrary, many of us would love to be on your team. It just hurts not to have the min. qualifications when you have alot of quality experience in Turbine Aircraft. We will all get through this one way or the other. Until then take it easy guys, its a very tough and competitve market right now. Time will change that as it always does in the Economic Cycle. FLYSAFE....

Latest resources

Back