• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue pay raise a done deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ask the Airtran guys how there CBAs going...ask American guys when they will get there's back, ask a United guy why a Jetblue guys makes more money on the same aircraft...ask a Delta guy if they will ever stop selling out scope.
Good on the B6 guys, the threat of a union is really better than having one.

Absolutely untrue! The only difference between JetBlue and those other companies is profitability. As soon as JetBlue becomes unprofitable, thier pay WILL be cut and you won't have a legal foot to stand on. Unions are extremely limited when an airline is losing money, but when they are profitable, it's one of the best things you have going for you.

AirTran is almost the same age as JetBlue and has had better pay and work rules for years.

Last edited:
Before anbody else says it, I agree with you. Our current industry average derived compensation is riding the coattails of wages/benefits earned by dues paying union pilots. I get it. I didn't like it as a Comair pilot when Skywest did it (still does) and I'm not proud of it now. We're working on it.....

Just to be clear your compensation is riding on the coattails of dues paying union pilots whose companies were in or on the verge of bankruptcy.

Just to be clear your compensation is riding on the coattails of dues paying union pilots whose companies were in or on the verge of bankruptcy.

Our compensation is based on an average of SWA, UAL, DAL/NWA, American, Alaska, Frontier, AirTran, and USAir. Half these companies have filed BK since 9/11. Half did not. What's your point? We're better than some and not as good as others. You guys bitched when we were underpaid and now you're bitching about how we reached parity.

Absolutely untrue! The only difference between JetBlue and those other companies is profitability. As soon as JetBlue becomes unprofitable, thier pay WILL be cut and you won't have a legal foot to stand on. Unions are extremely limited when an airline is losing money, but when they are profitable, it's one of the best things you have going for you.

AirTran is almost the same age as JetBlue and has had better pay and work rules for years.

Check your facts slick. First of all JetBlue was unprofitable in 2007 and 2008. So your profitablility argument doesn't hold water. Second, we have a binding legal document stating how much we get paid and it requires the written agreement of both parties to amend it. Barring BK, JetBlue cannot arbitrarily cut our pay unless we individually agree to it.

A raise? lets see.
1. raised health ins premiums
Most companies raised insurance premiums. It's a sign of the times. Health insurance costs more than it did last year. If you have a beef with that, take it up with the insurance company.

2. raised disability premiums if you can even call it that
Our disability is weak. On that we agree, but essentially it hasn't changed.

3. got rid of 13:30's
I almost exclusively fly 13:30's and while I'm sorry to see them go the other rigs and the pay raise more than compensate.

4. bid divisors will be lowered
They were lowered for Sep and Oct. So was every other airline. November is back to normal.

5. earnings conference call barnes mentioned pilot costs will come down due to pilot effeciences
What does that mean? I'll be working less days? Good.

God, you guys are clueless. I am already on track to make $14,000 less in 2010 than I did in 2009.

You're full of shiite. You may make less, but you'll be working less too. When you compare equal line values you will get more with this PEA than under the old one.

One simple question. Did you sign it? I thought so. If it was such a bad deal and such a big pay cut why did you sign it?

The new PEA was an improvement, but not perfect. It's a good pay raise. It added industry standard rigs. The new PTO rules are better. We still need much better LTD/LOL/STD. We need a true B fund and we desparately need scope langauge. By any objective assessment this PEA is a good thing for JetBlue pilots despite it's shortcomings.

The insurance company?

You mean Jetblue; we're self-insured. We use UHC and BCBS to administer the plans.

No mention of premium trigger going up to 78. And yes bid divisors will be closer to that number for most of next year IMHO.

The new PEA was an improvement, but not perfect. It's a good pay raise. It added industry standard rigs. The new PTO rules are better. We still need much better LTD/LOL/STD. We need a true B fund and we desparately need scope langauge. By any objective assessment this PEA is a good thing for JetBlue pilots despite it's shortcomings.

Don't forget sick time. We need actual sick time. Using vacation for sick call outs is redonculus.

Latest resources

Back