• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue open house

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Every US Airways dude in my class has nothing but bad things to say about a long call / short call system. WTF? I thought we were getting an improvement.

BC,

Take it with a grain of salt and consider the source. They're furloughed Airways. They've been getting the crappy end of the stick for years. They usually have nothing but bad things to say about everything. They're not bad people, but you can only beat a dog for so long before they become mean.

Most pilot groups have to negotiate to get a long call reserve option. Have you ever heard of any group voluntarily giving it back? Choices are always good. Long call will work for some of us and for some it won't. I hope we get a long call/short call option.

Some Info

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I had an interesting jump seater over the weekend. He was a NWA furloughee that had just left Jet Blue to return to NWA after one year at Blue. When asked why, he said that long story short, the Bus Captains had it pretty good at Blue but all of the FOs and the 190 guys were miserable. He said as bad as it was at NWA now, he couldn't see staying around JB any longer. FOs are leaving in droves and hiring is working hard to keep up with the hemorrhaging. He said from a customer standpoint, it was a great product, but from an employee standpoint, it sucks. Of course I asked him if he really did clean the cabin and he said, "he would help out if he had time and it really wasn't that big of a deal." There was more to the conversation that I don't remember the details of, but he summed it up by saying that the "blue Kool-Aid" wore off after a couple of months on the line. Like I said, I don't have a dog in this fight and have only read this thread for entertainment, but I find it disturbing that someone would actually leave there to return to the cesspool that is NWA right now.

BC,

Take it with a grain of salt and consider the source. They're furloughed Airways. They've been getting the crappy end of the stick for years. They usually have nothing but bad things to say about everything. They're not bad people, but you can only beat a dog for so long before they become mean.

Most pilot groups have to negotiate to get a long call reserve option. Have you ever heard of any group voluntarily giving it back? Choices are always good. Long call will work for some of us and for some it won't. I hope we get a long call/short call option.

Long call system sucks I will add. Never has it worked in the three airlines I have been employed

Ask the Airways guys if their short/long call system ever worked the way it should have. With our scheduling department... well we can hope.

I thought the long / med / short call at Airways worked quite well. A few issues involved when and who would be transitioned to med or short call, but it wasn't that much of a problem. It sure beat 100% 1 1/2 hr short call.

Long call was basically a day off, but you kept in the back of your mind you might be transitioned any time, in which case you had about 10-12 hours to be in position.

Never was a probelm.

Fedex your pee to the training center in MCO and I think you are in.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I think I'll be able to produce more than 3 ounces, can I still go through security?

AHHHHHHH, Try post number 2 in this very thread............

Ok, that might have been a little standoffish of me so here is the link to make

it easy for you: http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=96720

Kids these days....... :)!

Good luck and see you there Puttin,
Capt. Z

Well Cappy, I appreciate your confindence in my reading abilities, but perhaps I have been trying to access that e-flyer without any luck. I've made repeated attempts at the other forums, and can't get to the open house info. So, my request was not for a reposting of the same crap, but a textual posting of the Thursday's details. You were amazingly helpful....

Well Cappy, I appreciate your confindence in my reading abilities, but perhaps I have been trying to access that e-flyer without any luck. I've made repeated attempts at the other forums, and can't get to the open house info. So, my request was not for a reposting of the same crap, but a textual posting of the Thursday's details. You were amazingly helpful....

I'm not sure which if any of that was sarcasim so sorry for the playfull jab.

Here is a cut and past if the link didn't work for you:

Hello Blue Pilots:

Please pass the word that we are hosting a Pilot Open House on Thursday, April 19 at the Orlando Support Campus from 1000 a.m. to 2p.m. Attached is an eflyer for you to send to competitive candidates interested in joining the JetBlue Team. Our previous events have been extremely successful as you continue to invite Pilots that emulate our values and reflect the same high level of professionalism as you.

The Open House is a great opportunity for candidates to get a good taste of our culture. During their visit we showcase the campus with tours conducted by the Flt Ops Training Team. The Flt Ops and Training Leadership Team gather candidates in the Auditorium for an overview of the "JetBlue Pilot Job" and solicit questions while providing candid answers. Candidates also meet with a Pilot Recruiter to review their resume and clarify questions or concerns.

Thank you for helping us promote this event and for your contribution in growing our culture!

Verna Kay
Director, Pilot Recruitment

There is a Jet blue shuttle bus operating from outside the jb bagage claim area that will run you over to the training area...... pm me if you need more details!

Capt. Z

I thought the long / med / short call at Airways worked quite well. A few issues involved when and who would be transitioned to med or short call, but it wasn't that much of a problem. It sure beat 100% 1 1/2 hr short call.

Long call was basically a day off, but you kept in the back of your mind you might be transitioned any time, in which case you had about 10-12 hours to be in position.

Never was a probelm.

I question the feasibility of a long call/short call reserve system with us because of the people working it. The other day I flew with a reserve captain who, on his last day of 6, had 30 minutes remaining and called crew scheduling to release him. They would not release him. I think the concept would be great, senior guys bid it and that saves the company money. There are so many reasons for why it can work and primarily one reason for why it won't.

Hey, about hiring- I interviewed there in 2000, no offer.
Went to an Open House a few months ago, no interview invitation.
Am told I interview well, but I do not have degree(working on it-ex-military)
Plenty of 121 PIC
Should I attend this month and try to ask a screener to give me an explanation, or tell me to look elsewhere....

Anything is better than this nwa regional position..... Thanks!

Go and ask, I was hired with only an AS degree.

ps, I'll be there for anyone that I recognize/know, will help them along, ie, introduce them to VK, etc.

Last edited:
I just got hired without any degree. From what I can tell seems like they focus on the overall package and the personality, that or I slipped through the cracks. Who knows???

Latest resources

Back