• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue open house

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I question the feasibility of a long call/short call reserve system with us because of the people working it. The other day I flew with a reserve captain who, on his last day of 6, had 30 minutes remaining and called crew scheduling to release him. They would not release him. I think the concept would be great, senior guys bid it and that saves the company money. There are so many reasons for why it can work and primarily one reason for why it won't.
It's because there are no rules. There are "Guidelines" that can be disregarded at will.

Any info on MCO ever becoming a domicile? What equipment it would be for..., how large of a base..., senior or junior...?

it is just rumor, A/C? who knows. crews? who knows, just rumor dude.

Good Intel Source but all is rumor untill it actually happens

OK I just flew the Real Estate man in charge (GS) from RSW to JFK yesterday and as he did not say anything was confidential I will share some of our conversation with you.

1.) Mngmt. has definitely noticed the amount of folks moving on to other airlines. They hope the pay raises will start to help with retention and acknowledge that there are other items to be addressed to make the over all work environment better. Each turn over cost the company around $30k, so it is in there best interest to keep the pilots happy. But he also knows that if a pilot wants to make more money flying for FedEx or UPS makes them happy then he/she should do it.

2.) In keeping with the theme of keeping the pilots happy. He said look for the MCO base around third quarter of 07. We spoke of MCO as a 320 base and did not discuss plans for the 190 in MCO so I can't offer any more on that. He did not know how the seniority of the base would work out as it is not his dept. however I think we figured with over 100 crewmembers living in the MCO area you can look for Capt. to go very senior and as for the FO's it will probably mirror FLL. Some senior FO's with a mix of mid-level FO's next and probably a few newhires to round out the reserve coverage. Once in the base I would not look to get off reserve very fast. I do not think it will be as bad as LGB and will still be a pretty good deal if you live in the MCO area. However if you plan on commuting you might want to think twice. The loads to the home of the "RAT" can be a nightmare. I know that MCO has been a rumor for a very long time. Last year was to be "The Year" it opened but was put on hold due to RTP. Now that we are making a little money and they are looking for things to boost moral a new base makes sense.
Growth plans at JetBlue seem to include an MCO base. When thinking of new destinations for us he was not very specific for obvious reasons. However he did mention that many of the places they are looking would originate in MCO and head South. I think we said if you put up a map to throw darts at you better be a pretty good shot as some of your targets are pretty small down there in all that water. I am thinking they are looking at places that are working for Spirit and American. We all know that the loads to (SJU,BQN,PSE) are very good so there are definitely more places that would support our service.

3.) West Coast base hopefuls better plan on at least another year. OAK is still the most likely but the company wants to see how we are accepted in the SFO area first.

4.) As for those of us still hopeful for an IAD base. Not likely. MWAA will be passing on the costs of all the construction (New Rwy./New Trains/New Twr./New Term.) to the airlines over the next 5 years. This makes an already tough market (United, SWA) that much harder to make some money in. So it looks like status quo for us IAD guys/gals.

5.) As for new US destinations he said he thinks we can look for 6 new ones this year. Once again not very specific but he did show us a route map with excisting cities as well as unnamed dots on it. Some were quite easy to pick up on. (Think three cities in particular that are hubs to certain Red Tail a/c)
When I asked when they might start he said " When JetBlue is ready to pick a fight" acknowledging that the Red Tail airline is not known for there hospitality when you come and play in there sand box. Most of the other dots were the usual suspects but it was interesting to see some of the dots up North of the border. Maybe some plans are being laid for the new open skies agreement? Who knows? My crystal ball was smashed about 1 1/2 years ago.

Hope that the info helps with what ever decision you may have to make.
ie. Should I stay or should I go or To take the job or not. All in all it is not such a bad place to work. Are there problems? Sure there are. Are they being addressed? Somewhat, but of course you can not please everyone and you are best to remember that when reading anything on FlightInfo. In the end you do what is best for you and yours.

Trash Man

P.S.
Please spare me the grammer police. I had alot to say and a short time to say it. So as we use to say Improvise, Adapt, Overcome. Translation is if you want to grade papers be a school teacher. Better job security in it for you anyway.
Now to get at that honey do list.
1.) Clean Litter Box
2.) Make the cat disappear ( hear kitty kitty )

Latest resources

Back