Jet Blue F/A fired for fatigue call

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dizel8 said:
Deadheading is indeed part of duty, since it would be transportation not local in nature, however, would she have exceeded duty time had she done so?

I know nothing more of her story than is published, but if the narrative is correct, it appears she could have been flown to NY and still been within duty limits.

Sorry 32LT10, but once again you agenda shines through and your continual diatribes against jetblue are becoming most tiresome!

D8, I am sure there is much more to this story. A person can be fatigued before a contractual or FAR limit. It is up to the individual to say "uncle" and stop the show. It appears the options given by JBLU might not have been convenient to anyone involved. The rest of the story is out there. Just waiting on someone with the complete answers.

32LT10 said:
A person can be fatigued before a contractual or FAR limit. It is up to the individual to say "uncle" and stop the show. It appears the options given by JBLU might not have been convenient to anyone involved.

Absolutely, being within FAR limits does not guarantee one is not fatigued and the F word stops the show, however, no where in the FAR is "convenient" mentioned. As long as she was within duty limits, they could have sent her to Timbuktu or worse yet, Motel 6.

As you said, I am sure there is more to the story, which is why you coming into the "room" blazing away seems a bit silly and does further convince me, that this is merely a continuation of your agenda.

As for your persistent use of jetblew, should we play like thirdgraders and call your employer Yonited?

Last edited:
Ty Webb said:
Telling a fatigued crewmember that you will deadhead them from that city to another city and then put them in a hotel sure sounds like coercion to continue the trip. I wonder what Jet Blue's POI would have to say about it.

This episode, if true, is very troubling, especially when you consider that this same airline wants an exemption from the FAA for the 8 hour flight rule for pilots.

Someone reports her falling asleep on the job. JetBlue treats this as a terminable offense.
[/quote]

Well put "Snug Fit"!! Firing somebody cause they fell asleep is stupid at best.

I am going to respond to this one, but keep in mind I have not been an FA for four years. Perhaps the regs have changed since I left, but I do not remember there being a 14-hour duty day limitation with the FAA. Someone correct me on that if I am wrong.

When I was at AWA, we had "contractual" limitations of 14 hours. If the duty day went over that, we had the right to refuse the trip. At 16 hours, we were not legal to work at all.

I remember specifically one trip about five years ago. We were due to depart JFK. Our flight had been cancelled and the other a/c was late inbound due to a storm - the a/c that would have deadheaded us home. The a/c inbound landed at EWR because the storm was too bad at the time, and we took a van ride over to that airport to get the a/c.

The crew that brought the aircraft into EWR (instead of JFK) had pilots that timed out. We flew the a/c from EWR to JFK. Then, the other crew picked up the flight to work it, while my crew deadheaded on the a/c.

We got to LAS, and the company told us that we could not deadhead home to PHX because we would go over 16 hours. They said they would have to get us a hotel room in LAS. At this point, it was about 3 a.m. and I had to get home to my son because his dad had to work the next day. So, I told them to put me up in the hotel and I non-revved home from LAS to PHX. It was really stupid, because they paid for a hotel room that I did not use, and duty time.

Have I ever been intimidated into flying a flight? Yes. Right before I left the airline, I hit my head in the cockpit while doing the potty swap with the pilots. I had stood up quickly to get the door for the Captain. (this was right after 9/11, and there were no reinforced doors) I was very dazed, and when we got to MCO, I called scheduling right away and told them I hit my head. I could not even talk to them - my speech was slurred and I could not think straight.

They told me that I would HAVE to work the flight back to PHX the next morning, as they could not put a reserve on the flight. I said, (on tape recording) "So, you are telling me that even if I am not able to work the flight, I have to work it?" Their response? "Yes."

The next morning I got out of bed and fell down to the floor. I called scheduling and told them what happened. Oh man, were they mad! I told them that I had called the night before, and was told they had no one to work the flight because of contractual obligations.

So, I ended up in the ER. They had to delay the flight six hours to DH a crew member in on SWA to MCO. Turns out I had a concussion and a traumatic brain injury. I still have a dent in my head from the incident. It took six months to get my faculties back, plus tons of physical therapy. I had also jammed my vertebrae in my neck when I hit my head, and I could not turn my head right or left for weeks.

I ended up spending four days in FLL as the doctors would not let me fly. I then spent months out of work.

So, what should the company have done? Sent me to the ER right away. But they were so worried about their plane not getting back to base, that they did not have common sense that something was really wrong. I had never had a concussion, so I just thought I had a bad headache.

So, yes, it does happen.

Last edited:
3BCat said:
POI's have no regulatory guidance or grounds to determine deadhead after duty.
You're missing the point.

It's not the "deadhead", it is the attempt to intimidate the crew out of a fatigue call, which the POI would definitely be interested in.

But let me guess, you're the kind of guy who is willing to do "whatever it takes" . . . . . to the detriment of everyone else.

Last edited:
Oh guardian AH of JetBlue, 32. Why don't you have some round ones and call the FAA (516-228-8029, ext.231)about this terrible transgression. Why you won't do it? Because you're a coward! You hide behind a screen name and sling your verbal fecal matter and contribute nothing. Yet you cry the "blues" how bad things are with us, while a number of your former coworkers have jobs because of JetBlue. You're the cause of your own problems. Next time you feel the urge to bash us, look into the mirror and holler at yourself. Your selfishness in this industry caused JetBlue to be. You may now go kick your dog, or stand in the corner, where you belong.

32LT10

Were you not banned a few weeks ago after showing your darkest side and true colors? That website you were on is certainly a step up from the ones you have obviously been frequenting, causing you to post the fecal matter you did resulting in your ban. IMO you are a prime candidate for one of those electronic ankle bracelets so the proper authorities can keep an eye you and protect the children out there. You smell bad, vermin.

Dizel8 said:
Deadheading is indeed part of duty, since it would be transportation not local in nature, however, would she have exceeded duty time had she done so?

I know nothing more of her story than is published, but if the narrative is correct, it appears she could have been flown to NY and still been within duty limits.

Sorry 32LT10, but once again you agenda shines through and your continual diatribes against jetblue are becoming most tiresome!

Dizel8-

Maybe I'm missing something here but isn't the issue the fact that the FA called in fatigued yet the company did not provide her with a hotel at the point of the fatigue call. Once you call in fatigued you cannot remain on duty. Deadheading is not rest as 32LT10 aptly pointed out. So JBLUE was pushing the FA to remain on duty while fatigued. It is NOT an issue of whether or not she exceeded her duty limits but whether or not the company intimidated/coerced her into remaining on duty while fatigued.

I don't have a bone to pick with JBLue but it is interesting that so many blue pilots on here have this knee jerk reaction instead of exploring the issue. What is wrong with admitting the company wronged an employee? It happens everywhere....

GuppyPuppy said:
I've called in fatigued at least twice in my 12+ years with the airlines. I got the same story..."We're gonna have to cancel it if you don't fly it!". After a half second of thinking about it I responded with, "Well, I guess you'll have to cancel the flight then".

GP

Good. There have been pilots who let themselves get talked out of fatigue calls. You have a recorded conversation of a pilot calling the company saying they are unfit to fly and then letting someone talk them out of his/her previous assesment. Hello violation......God help you if you have an incident or accident on the next leg. Fox/CNN/the FAA would have a field day with that one.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back