Jet Blue benefits, healthcare cost?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahhemm, Back to the subject

Thank you those who gave me info about Jetblue bennies. One other question, is there any delay in getting benifits or are they available upon completion of training?

Thank you again

Thank you for your extremely articulate and well-thought-out responses. Actually, I like my healthcare the way it is right now - although I think health insurance should be a personal tax write-off instead of a corporate burden. That is a huge point that seems to be ignored.... Why?

Instead of writing out another thesis, I'll agree to disagree with many of your assertions and I will point out the following:

1. Obamacare does very little to address the actual cost of healthcare delivery (no real cost containment effort beyond reducing doctors' reimbursement rates via "capitation" even though doctor costs continue to rise...). We could very well end up with lower quality doctors because the profit-potential in certain areas like Family Practice just won't be there. Say hello to your imported Romanian doctor or a Physician's Assistant with no MD degree.

2. Obamacare adds tremendous complexity to healthcare and most large organizations (according to a WSJ article last week - which I am sure you have read) are hiring expensive consultants and lawyers to help them ensure compliance with the 2,000+ page bill. Why so much complexity and so many new regulations? Complexity and the resulting fear of non-compliance penalties could convince companies to drop their workers from their own sponsored health plans... I would rather just pay any fine and allow others to deal with the complexity if I were in charge.

3. Creating another HUGE entitlement that we cannot afford will likely result in what we are seeing in Europe - bursting budgets and huge deficits leading to bankruptcy and painful government austerity programs. The European way of doing things for citizens clearly does NOT work well and adding this entitlement will only bring us closer to the European reality. The US will become the next Greece or Ireland. And with this new, huge entitlement we will also get mediocre, rationed healthcare to boot (because we can't afford to write blank checks for unlimited care)... Sounds great.

So, there you have it. You have some good points but I'll agree to disagree in general. That's ok because all have our own political perspective.

How about we get back to our original programming for everyone's sake? Back to our airline discussions.

Happy holidays!

Sounds good. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Over the past 20 years the health insurance company’s administrative cost has gone down while premiums have gone up.

Why?

Simple.

How much did an angioplasty cost in 1960'? Zero.

Why? It wasn't invested yet.

Health care costs are skyrocketing because of the simple meeting of two different factors. High tech medicine and lots and lots of older people with unlimited access to this high tech medicine is the cost driver.

Want to lower cost it will take restricted access.

Over the past 20 years the health insurance company’s administrative cost has gone down while premiums have gone up.

Why?

Simple.

How much did an angioplasty cost in 1960'? Zero.

Why? It wasn't invested yet.

Health care costs are skyrocketing because of the simple meeting of two different factors. High tech medicine and lots and lots of older people with unlimited access to this high tech medicine is the cost driver.

Want to lower cost it will take restricted access.

Our inability to re-import brand name drugs is also devastating. No reason we should pay 400 per month for Lipitor when a Canadian, Australian, British, Japanese, French, Norwegian, Dutch.... citizen can get it for 80 bucks.

Thank you those who gave me info about Jetblue bennies. One other question, is there any delay in getting benifits or are they available upon completion of training?

Thank you again

I'll try to help keep the thread on track. There is only a short delay in getting the benefits. Most benefits begin the first of the month after 30 days of employment. So for example, if you're hired the December 10, your benefits begin February 1.

Do you get any flight benefits with other carriers (AA or Lufthansa) or is it ZEDs and CASS
only?

I'm not sure which plan you're looking at. The plan with the 2000/4000 deductibles is $283/month. And how is STD lacking other than an OJI hole? I know several pilots that got sick and got paid, no trouble at all. I can't speak to the LTD, I don't know anyone on it.

We have 4 plans. Ranging from the high deductable/low family premium at $54/month. To a low deductable/copay/high family premium at $566/month. The $566/month plan will cost you $20/office visit with a yearly family max of $2000.

STD is lacking because we have to pay for it and we can never accumulate enough sick time to drop it and the company will not provide the loss ratio to the pilot group to determine what we are actually paying for. That is first.

Second, it pay up to $1,500 a week. For a CA that is not enough.

Third, the calculation of income to determine your benefit could have you collecting less than 60% of your income (up to 60%). We have had more than a few guys collect 36% of his her FO income. This was after the company said that would never happen - we are jetblue we do the right thing. Yeah right.

Forth, pre-existing condions were excluded from benefits and now a waiting period.

Fifth it pays secondary to state disability - carves out the benefit. So many crew member have to pay twice for the same benefits (State SDI and VSTS).

Shall I continue?

Last edited:
so from the regional airline I work for now….my health costs will more than double? Okay, got it. Take a pay cut for two years-four if you count the difference in medical costs. Perfect. Those of you arguing national healthcare policy…..start a new thread please. Its an important issue, but not what this thread is for.

Latest resources

Back