• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue Application

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're right dude. All the TP guys know it. Some people try to justify a jet aircrafts superiority because they are trying to justify the low pay, benefits and work rules that they accept to be able to say they "fly a jet".

That being said, I would not count my Dash 8 time as jet...and proudly.

So here is a funny quirk of timing. I am reading Blue Streak, and it just so happens that tonight I get to the part that reads: "...and adding the "jet" would get across the notion that this wasn't some puddle-jumping turboprop operator." Fantastic timing there.

Either way, this is an age old argument that nobody can win. I hope to get the call and they judge me based on my personality, command ability, customer service, and flying skills; not whether or not a turbo-prop and turbo-jet are the same type of engine.

^^^THIS^^^ and you will.

If you have been flying... airplanes... as a job... you should know how to answer these questoins. You know what they mean when they say prop or jet.

Here is the kicker guys once you get the interview, you have been hired. You walk in there and lie, sound like a ****************************** or cant tell the difference between a jet and a prop you get to go home. Please don't go to the interview and try to argue that the saab is a jet (wether it has a sticker or not). We all know it burns jet-A,B, diesel, kerosine, modified vegetable oil ect...

GOODLUCK DUDES!

Last edited:
Why not just call and ask. Our People Department(HR) is full of great people who would have no issue with answering this question.

We have hired plenty of people with only turbo-prop time.

I have 4000 PIC in ultra lights. I have a hand held Gps rigged on my yoke so I put down glass time.

Speaking of ultralights, in Brazil they're required to be registered and the prefix for them is PU-. And yes, there is one registered PU-SSY.

Why not just call and ask. Our People Department(HR) is full of great people who would have no issue with answering this question.

We have hired plenty of people with only turbo-prop time.

I just called the corporate headquarters and they won't let me past the receptionist. They said HR won't take calls about pilot applications during the application process. I explained the situation and they still would not let me through. It's understandable, but I was hoping to get an answer to this question. Oh well.

I just called the corporate headquarters and they won't let me past the receptionist. They said HR won't take calls about pilot applications during the application process. I explained the situation and they still would not let me through. It's understandable, but I was hoping to get an answer to this question. Oh well.

From the drop down portion of the application:

-Total hours flown as Pilot In Command (PIC) in any kind of airplane (*a)

-Total hours flown as Pilot In Command (PIC) in jet-powered airplanes (*a)

-Total hours flown in turbine-powered airplanes (includes turbo-prop and/or turbo-jet)

These choices are directly from the application. Jet and turbine powered airplanes are two distinctly different things as written above.

Your Saab time is turbine PIC but does not fit their "jet-powered" definition as used in the application. "Turbine" does not always equal "jet", even if the company sticker on your flight bag says so. Helicopters and some windmills have turbine engines too....it doesn't make them jet powered. Just sayin'

Saying that, your Saab time (PIC) is still just as important and valuable as any "jet" PIC time. However it clearly does not fit the definition set forth in the "Pilots Only" section of the jetBlue employment application.

Last edited:
I understand everyone's point. I thought the spirit of the question was asking if I had 1,000 hours turbine PIC. If I were to check "none" for that box then I may have been automatically disqualified dispite having having the PIC time in a turbine aircraft. I hope I am not disqualified the other way, but I guess we may never find out. And now I just realized they didn't even require PIC time so I can only hope they don't have a problem with it. Either way, if I get the call for an interview, I am comfortable stating why I checked it and I am sure they will be fine with my answer.

Latest resources

Back