• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jepp Class B Charts & 200 Knots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ignore it in Atlanta and you'll get slammed. Rules are rules. What's that extra 50 knots going to do for you, especially over the short periof of time you're under the Class B. Do the math and you'll see it's only seconds saved versus 200 KIAS. Is that worth a violation or a=chewing?

You are so right. Atlanta will slap you so hard if you do that.

Just remember, even ATC can't give you relief on the speed restriction. They try sometimes, but they actually do not have that authority unless it is for the safety of flight - thus those above who were reminded of their speed after being handed off. The only ones who get relief are those whose Vclean speed is above 200 - i.e. 737 at 210.

I would just ask the controller if he wants you to keep your speed up if he/she is asking you to go faster than 200 below the class B. I have done that in SJC and in SNA and both times they gave me a climb into the Class B so i could speed up.

Do you use the Jepp Class B charts to help with this problem?

Do you guess when you're under the "B" and it's time to slow to 200?

AZT

I actually pull the chart but never seem to look at it in the heat of the moment so just guess when it's time to slow. But I do slow. Our former CP got called on it (no violation, just "ahem...") in the LA basin so now we are all careful.

Clearly, there are some facilities that have an informal policy of deviating from the speed restrictions. We often reposition between VNY and SNA. Northbound, you had better be at or below 200 kts by 35 dme south of LAX. When coming in from the east, try to get recleared PSP-POM, avoiding the PDZ/V-16/POM. This change just skirts the northern edge of the Class B airspace. At least you can keep it up to 250 kts. Make sure that you get down to 8000' as directed because you are ducking under the CIVIT arrival to LAX. We all know that there are some locations around the country that make believe that these rules don't exist. Others enforce them with biblical vengence. What do you expect; it's the federal government.

When I have been directed to maintain a higher speed than 200 kts. I inform the next controller that "we were directed to maintain xxx kts by the previous controller". That controller may well have had a real need for us to do so.

Personally, I'd rather deal with all of these issues than fly through NORCAL airspace. I've never experienced a bigger group of screw-ups. Is this the primary training facility for all FAA ATC or what? I am routinely either held down or slam-dunked, regardless of the airport up there. They wanted me to hold 230 kts to an 8 mi final at SJC the other day, in real weather! They kept us at 5000' as well. Fotrunately, being superior airmen, we survived. Then ther was the night that they tried to clear us for the ILS to Santa Rosa with a 30 kt tailwind on fnal, in the rain. They were happy to give us the VOR app; they just had no clue as to what the weather was.

As for letting the F/O learn for himself, I would never let my F/O put MY license in jeopardy. Let him "live on the edge" when he makes Captain.

PapaK

Seems like in Atlanta ATC is more likely to say something on arriving and not say anything if you are on the way out at 200+ KTS. Our iLinc MFD has tops and bases of Class B airspace, which makes it easier.

Last edited:
Is this the primary training facility for all FAA ATC or what?

No, that would be Salt Lake, which usually leads the league in operational errors. It's much closer to the terrain, too, which adds to the excitement.

Can anyone tell me what the 135 waiver is?

Classg

what about when there isn't DME?

How do you guys determine whether or not you're below the bravo shelf when flying near PHL, where the bravo airspace is defined by the airport itself at the center, not a VOR with DME? (If I'm missing where it states the DME freq, my bad!!!) Our MFD's, for whatever reason, don't always show PHL so I can't just swag it using the 25 mile ring. We are usually repositioning to ILG, so I just make sure I'm at 200kts when within 5 DME of Modina and below 4000 ft. Any other ideas?

T

Latest resources

Back