Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AlbieF15

F15 Ret/FDX/InterviewPrep
Ok coffee talkers, here's the subject dejour.

Leave JB after 18+ months with a captain's upgrade on the table this winter at JB, or go start over again and hopefully ride the next hiring wave towards long term growth at FedEx? Top 20% seniority for 25 years at LCC or begin over at a great (albeit mature) company?

Thoughts from either company's drivers?

Tired of talking on that? How about a guy leaving Frontier to try at Fedex? How about the guys who left FDX in summer of 01 for AA?

Who do you know that has left one (promising) carrier for another (just as if not promising) carrier?

Well, I'm not employed by either carrier in question, but.....

Albie, as you well know, employers sometimes hire employees based upon the notion that past behavior predicts future behavior. From that perspective, the best bet would be to get hired by the carrier that has the best track record.

A pilot looking for a sure bet will jump over to FedEx. A gambling pilot will roll the dice on B6.

I'm trying to get to where I have to make this decision between WN and NK. If I get there, there won't be any decision to make. Luv all the way. Their current management seems to be following the path layed out by their past management and that is promising to me.

regards,
enigma

AlbieF15 said:
Ok coffee talkers, here's the subject dejour.

Leave JB after 18+ months with a captain's upgrade on the table this winter at JB, or go start over again and hopefully ride the next hiring wave towards long term growth at FedEx? Top 20% seniority for 25 years at LCC or begin over at a great (albeit mature) company?

Thoughts from either company's drivers?

Tired of talking on that? How about a guy leaving Frontier to try at Fedex? How about the guys who left FDX in summer of 01 for AA?
JB to FedEx? Moot question - JL won't consider 'em.
Frontier to FedEx? Moot question - JL won't consider 'em.
ANY major to FedEx, or furloughed from ANYWHERE except USAIR? Moot question - JL won't consider 'em.

Only exception to the above would be one of those positions, then some other job at FedEx Express - - then JL has to consider 'em.

FDX - AA? I believe we have at least one of those on the board - - I'll let him (them?) speak for themselves. I doubt we'll hear regrets.

Since Jetblue and Frontier is not furloughing, I always assumed those guys/gals were considered potential candidates ---------- only the applicants/candidates that are currently furloughed were not being considered, maybe I missed some email from Jack Lewis.....

Whaaat?!

The girls in FLL were lots of fun last night baaaaby!!! But I wouldn't about those things since I'm married,,,,,,,,,geez!

Sandman:

Just out of curiousity, why would FDX not consider furloughed pilots? As an employer, they have the right to ask people to sign away seniority numbers with other air carriers. It seems counter-intuitive to not tap into the experience and expertise offered by any high-time pilot regardless of whether they are furloughed or not.

Skyward80

Burned before

Skyward: The reason our chief pilot doesn't consider furloughed pilots (with the exception of USAirways) is because FedEx has been burned before by furloughted pilots from major carriers who "resigned" from their carrier upon getting hired by FedEx. Their chief pilot put those resignation letters in a drawer and when those pilots were recalled their chief pilot tossed the letters and they left FedEx to re-join their former company. Once bitten, twice shy I guess is the old saying that applies in this case. I think FedEx has determined that the folks furloughed from USAirways have no real shot at ever getting recalled so they make an exception for them. (Don't shoot me, I'm only telling you the rationale as I understand it, I'm not sayiing its right or wrong).

Additionally, our chief pilot feels that most of the pilots on furlough from the other majors had a chance to apply to FedEx or perhaps even had an offer from FedEx when they chose the other carrier. I think he feels that they had their chance and he would prefer to give those who (like regional, 135 or military pilots) haven't had their shot at a major yet a chance at FedEx.

Perhaps we are losing some experience, but sometimes it easier to teach the young dogs your tricks instead of trying to re-train an old dog.

Again, I am only trying to explain the rationale, not saying that they are right or wrong or that I agree or disagree with them. The bottom line is that FedEx (and any other carrier that is hiring) can be very particular these days and that is the way it is.

FJ

Latest resources

Back