• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB to retire aircraft?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Shorting JBLU has been very good to me. I'm out now but still expect serious troubles ahead. Don't be surprised if furloughs are next!!

GCAP said:
Shorting JBLU has been very good to me. I'm out now but still expect serious troubles ahead. Don't be surprised if furloughs are next!!

The landscape is very tough right now without a doubt. I do see delayed deliveries and slower growth ahead. Furloughs, never say never but I don't see that on the horizon. Still hiring like crazy and still short pilots for days off vacation ect... and because of the "contract" (there I said it!) you would need to continue paying any furloughed guys so I don't see much savings there. But no arguement here, tougher times ahead and more realistic expectations will have to be made.

---Hope the Delta guys come out on top when the TA is reviewed---

bluejuice787 said:
I am a bit confused by your post. What are you trying to say in the first paragraph? Re-read it as if you are just an observer with no assumptions...it makes no sense.

I guess it doesn't. To be more clear....I don't think any carrier has to fold for JetBlue to prosper. The shrinkage at the majors is good enough. And there is more shrinkage coming for Delta and NWA this year and maybe '07.

But where exactly is JetBlue planning on flying another 96 A-320's? I don't think the shrinkage at the majors will make enough room for JB's 96 A-320s, JB's 90 EMBs, Airtran's 50+ 737's and SWA's 80+ 737s coming the next 3 years. Not to mention Virgin America, Spirit, or Regional -190s.

Ok, so JetBlue is selling 2 or 3 planes. Didn't know that. But the effect of selling old or deferring new planes is the same. Fewer total aircraft. As far as it being to JetBlue's advantage to sell the old ones rather than defer deliveries, I wish I knew.

Russ said:
From GL

"Sounds like you are getting nervous"

Who's company is in bankruptcy and faces possible liquidation if labor issues cant be solved? I would think you might want to shoot JB a resume.

Russ,

Wow, good comparison. I just posted an article, and Smoking Man got all nervous and started slamming DL and USAir etc. I think you too need to be nervous if we vote down this TA. Your company will suffer big time if we go away, just look at CHQ getting YOUR CAL flying. Looks like you can and will be underbid. Is that sweat above your brow? I thought so.

I can post any article I want. I didn't even have commentary along with it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Bye Bye--General Lee

Nah nah na nah na!

elag777 said:

Bye Bye--General Lee

Nah nah na nah na!

You got that right! Where's my mommy?

Bye Bye--General Lee

dtfl said:
Kinda funny talking about selling the "oldest" of the 320s. I mean that in a jesting way - not poking fun. Coming from someone that has flown 1960s model C130s his while life until recently...a 70s model was "new" and now there is talk about selling "old 1999/2000" model 320s. Just kinda made me laugh.

Seriously though, the first three or four of our acft. have some serious hours and cycles on them. Bear in mind that we utilize our aircraft an average of 13+ hours a day. Multiply that by 365 days X 6.5 years. That's close to 31000 hours or more. By normal standards that is probably a lot of time and they have certainly served us well. Depreciation, and a few other economic factors come into play as well I am sure. I am confident it is probably the right thing to do.

And someone stated that the first nine planes were leased anyway and that is not true. Truth is we bought/are buying about 60% of our entire fleet and the remainder is leased, with good reason I might add. As far as the actual count of the first nine planes on lease or owned, I would guess it's half and half.

C yaaa

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for a long time. Kinda feels like I know some of you. Couple of points; 1. Statements regarding there are no more growth opportunities to me are pointless, competition stimulates growth, and also "steals" away business from other competitors. To say, all the flying is already taken is ridiculous. 2. As a JetBlue pilot, I don't want to see our growth slow, but as a realist it is probably the best move, the landscape has changed 3. Always confused when other pilots wish ill on the fellow pilots, sad and lame. 4. General Lee gets a lot of s%$t on this forum, but I like most of his posts. 5. Never have I heard JetBlue management say their business plan is counting on the failure of another airline, in fact GL said it best, and I heard Neeleman say it himself that Delta going away is not necessarily a good thing for everybody else. The only airline these guys thought, or think would go out of business was Indy Air. 6. When the term "older" is used to explain our airplanes......it's called semantics!!! If I bought a new car yesterday, and one today, the one I bought yesterday is considered "older" nobody thinks our airplanes are old.

Thanks, and go easy on me the first time.

CD

curtaindriver said:
This is my first post, but I have been lurking for a long time. Kinda feels like I know some of you. Couple of points; 1. Statements regarding there are no more growth opportunities to me are pointless, competition stimulates growth, and also "steals" away business from other competitors. To say, all the flying is already taken is ridiculous. 2. As a JetBlue pilot, I don't want to see our growth slow, but as a realist it is probably the best move, the landscape has changed 3. Always confused when other pilots wish ill on the fellow pilots, sad and lame. 4. General Lee gets a lot of s%$t on this forum, but I like most of his posts. 5. Never have I heard JetBlue management say their business plan is counting on the failure of another airline, in fact GL said it best, and I heard Neeleman say it himself that Delta going away is not necessarily a good thing for everybody else. The only airline these guys thought, or think would go out of business was Indy Air. 6. When the term "older" is used to explain our airplanes......it's called semantics!!! If I bought a new car yesterday, and one today, the one I bought yesterday is considered "older" nobody thinks our airplanes are old.

Thanks, and go easy on me the first time.

CD

CD-

Damn good post.

Juice

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back