• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB Emergency Question????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am sure they do have them, but here is where their use would get you into trouble. Spoilers would have Xfered weight to the nose of the airplane. Especially Auto spoliers. Trying to keep the nose in the air with auto-spoilers is not going to happen. When those spoilers come out, that nose is going to come down. By the time the plane slowed enough so the spoilers would not have such a pronounced effect on the weight transfer, they would have been ineffective. Good Call.
ATR-DRIVR said:
I was wondering if the spoilers were dis-armed either on purpose or by some default. When they touched down the wing stayed clean with no deployment of the spoilers. Does the bus not have that?

Just curious on the systems. Excellent job though.

Having no experience in anything bigger than an old Lear 55, I'm going to go out on a limb and say autoland was not used.

Autoland plants the airplane firmly in the TDZ. It appeared they kept the power up a little longer than normal in order to assure a smooth touchdown (it looked like they floated through the TDZ - nothing wrong with that considering the circumstances) and the ability to keep the nose up as long as possible.

Busdrivers, set us straight here.

HawkerF/O said:
jknight8907 said:
Do you know differently? For a guy with no jet time or even a pilot's certificate, you are talking out of school.
How many autolands have you seen that held the nosewheel off until it ran out of elevator authority, not to mention floating it on ever-so-gently?

No jet time needed for that observation.....

I should have clarified my statement a little better. I think the pilot let the computer roll out the airplane. How many pilots have you seen stick a center line like they did with a problem such as the one that was on the Airbus? That plane didn't move off the centerline.

Jknight, in fact you DO need jet time for this observation. If you had more experience, you would know that the elevator did not run out of authority, as that would have brought the nose down with a great deal of force. The pilots are a little more professional than that. The tail is swept, just like the wings and unlike the 172 you are learning in, and when a swept wing quits flying, it breaks over, unlike a straight wing that just kind of bottoms out/flutters and starts to descend. We don't do full stalls in jets like we do in 172s. Why? It's dangerous and you'll lose a lot of altitude. You do stalls at 3000, jets must be a 10,000 to even practice stall recognition and recovery. I know you are use to lowering the nose when you get the 1st indication of a stall, but in jets we leave the nose where it is and power out of it. Unload the wings on a jet, and hang on! Didn't know I was going to be giving instruction today.

Also, some of the nicest landing you will have will be with the newer auto-land systems. I know the older ones were a little rough, but they have made great strides in the auto-land systems literally holding the mains off 2 feet off the ground and rolling it on. It's pretty sweet.

Once again, I should have clarified what I menat when I 1st posted, and I apoligize if anyone misunderstood what I was trying to say.

HawkerF/O said:
I should have clarified my statement a little better. I think the pilot let the computer roll out the airplane. How many pilots have you seen stick a center line like they did with a problem such as the one that was on the Airbus? That plane didn't move off the centerline.

Jknight, in fact you DO need jet time for this observation. If you had more experience, you would know that the elevator did not run out of authority, as that would have brought the nose down with a great deal of force. The pilots are a little more professional than that. The tail is swept, just like the wings and unlike the 172 you are learning in, and when a swept wing quits flying, it breaks over, unlike a straight wing that just kind of bottoms out/flutters and starts to descend. We don't do full stalls in jets like we do in 172s. Why? It's dangerous and you'll lose a lot of altitude. You do stalls at 3000, jets must be a 10,000 to even practice stall recognition and recovery. I know you are use to lowering the nose when you get the 1st indication of a stall, but in jets we leave the nose where it is and power out of it. Unload the wings on a jet, and hang on! Didn't know I was going to be giving instruction today.

Also, some of the nicest landing you will have will be with the newer auto-land systems. I know the older ones were a little rough, but they have made great strides in the auto-land systems literally holding the mains off 2 feet off the ground and rolling it on. It's pretty sweet.

Once again, I should have clarified what I menat when I 1st posted, and I apoligize if anyone misunderstood what I was trying to say.
Yes, I know that he didn't let it completely run out of authority. However, he did hold it off as long as he could while still avoiding a hard derotation.

I'm not learning in a 172 (not that that matters).

I guess the final say on whether or not he used autoland will come when the full report is published.

jknight8907 said:
Yes, I know that he didn't let it completely run out of authority. However, he did hold it off as long as he could while still avoiding a hard derotation.
You said " How many autolands have you seen that held the nosewheel off until it ran out of elevator authority," How is that knowing he didn't let it run out of authority when you just sat up there and said he did? Look, I am not trying to knock you, but you came at me a little strong. I bet you are a stand up guy and learning to become a great stick, I think you just need to be a little less sarcastic, especially on technical issues, until you have a little more experience. I don't know you and you don't know me, but obviously we have lots in common so let's do what you said and wait on that final report then whoever is wrong can buy the other a drink. What say you?

I can't believe two things.

1) Why does everyone have to play "I could've/would've done it better." Just give kudos to the crew for staying calm and doing a textbook job. Noone got hurt--who cares if the spoilers were disarmed or if TR's were used.

2) Who feeds those rediculous questions to Larry King? "Does the good weather make it easier to deal with am emergency?" Just prior to touchdown, "What is going through the minds of the pilots at this instant?" WHAT A MORON!! Thought he would be smarter than that--maybe that's why I never watched him before last night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A review of entries at NTSB.gov will show that there are two modes of failures that have caused the 90 degree spectaculars. One is of the incorrect re-assmbly of a nose strut and the other is an internal failure of the steering valve.

For the first it looks like JetBlue has 2, UAL has 1, Canada 3000 has 1 and another unnamed carrier in Ireland. Who knows how many other times this has happened.

America West has one of the steering valve incidents.

• The UAL gear problem was caused by a third party facility. Were the others? - TM

HawkerF/O said:
You said " How many autolands have you seen that held the nosewheel off until it ran out of elevator authority," How is that knowing he didn't let it run out of authority when you just sat up there and said he did? Look, I am not trying to knock you, but you came at me a little strong. I bet you are a stand up guy and learning to become a great stick, I think you just need to be a little less sarcastic, especially on technical issues, until you have a little more experience. I don't know you and you don't know me, but obviously we have lots in common so let's do what you said and wait on that final report then whoever is wrong can buy the other a drink. What say you?
*shrug* Fine with me. I'll try to phrase my statements better next time.

Latest resources

Back