• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jb + alpa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA is participating in the stage 2 open skies negotiation that will determine if Lufthansa and its 19% ownership of JB will be able increase that percntage and possibly steamroll the voiceless JB pilots and their jobs, as widebody Lufthansa jets land at JFK and Orlando, then pick up JB passengers and keep going to other US cities. Is Vereinigung Cockpit and the ECA going to care about the JB pilots? Why should they? You don't care enough about yourselfs. Besides, who would EU labor talk to anyway? The values committee?
Dear Rez.
For your information, Foreign Ownership and Cabotage are two separate issues.
So no need for you to scare people.

For those that do care about facts, here it goes.
The restrictions on international ownership of US airlines are a historical remnant of a different era. Their origins date back to the days of sailing ships in the 19th century. During the period of airline regulation they were of course extended, and since then these restrictions have been perpetuated primarily due to the political fact that US airlines are a very effective lobbying group, whereas international investors have virtually no lobbying clout in Washington.
There are actually two very different restrictions that prevent a full open market for airlines in the US at present. Opponents of an open market have tended to try and mix together the 'worst' of each issue as support for their opposition to the other concept. So let's clearly understand these two different concepts :

Cabotage or Eighth Freedom Rights
The so called 'Freedoms of the Air' spell out, by international treaty, how airlines based in one country can operate over and in other countries. The US does not currently allow this Eighth Freedom to international carriers, and it hides behind the bilateral concept of 'we will only let a foreign country's carriers participate in our market if the foreign country has a similar sized market and lets our carriers participate in their market, too'.

Foreign Ownership of US based Carriers
This is totally different to cabotage. The US limits the amount of foreign ownership in its domestic airlines to a maximum of 49%, with a maximum of 25% control.
Most other countries have similar protective provisions limiting ownership of their airlines, but there are some notable exceptions - for example, the Australian government. Australian law requires the airline to be staffed and managed by Australians, and has an Australian board of directors. The net result has been tremendously beneficial to the Australian public, while the major carrier (Qantas) does not seem to have been unduly harmed, either.

Last edited:
Had a senior pilot JB pilot on the jumpseat 2 nights ago on the way into SDF. He told us a troubling account that the process has hit a wall and that the work rules are once again being "re-drawn." With the/a new timeline for implementation being re-written too.

On any given night I chase the JBLU pilots transcon as they do alot of midnight oil runs. On many nights we have a JBLU pilot in the jumpseat. What is going on in DEN with F9 pilots should serve as a preview to where the B6 pilots could be in 3 years. Couple that with a committee design that is plagued with delays and circus like rhetoric and what a mess.

ALPA or not you guys need representation. Look around...the landscape is starting to give you many reasons why.

As always we are pulling for you that the proverbial light will sometime soon start shining through.

I think the work rules will pay for the pay raise

How could they? We already have 16hour duty days, work to FAR, multiple 2-hour sits in the same day with 2.00/hour compensation, etc... I see no blood to be squeezed from this turnip. Oh wait, they might take the Kew shuttle away....

Whatever you do, NOT ALPA. ALPA has done enough damage to this profession with it's surrendering scope and compensation.

Actually, APA did way more damage when THEY introduced the B-Scale to the industry. That's one of the major milestones that started the downward spiral of our profession and the infighting among airline pilots.
Had all airlines been under one union I think you could make a case that our profession could have been better served.

I hate JetBlue. I hope you sorry a$$ losers go tits up before ALPA is voted in.

F-n jerks. Nice black leather jackets BTW.

I hate JetBlue. I hope you sorry a$$ losers go tits up before ALPA is voted in.

F-n jerks. Nice black leather jackets BTW.

Actually, the jackets are brown. And comfortable.

Meetings scheduled for Sept. 28 and 29. I will be there, will you?

Good luck, and I'm sure our pilot group will provide whatever support we can during your organizing drive. Our pilots switched to ALPA a few months ago, and as another FI poster said in a different thread, "ALPA has done more in 8 weeks than [our independent union] did in 8 years." Get ALPA on the property and elect a good group of leaders and you'll be amazed at how quickly things can improve.

Latest resources

Back