• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB 190's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 190 has turned out to be a very expensive piece of doo doo. The company has finally admitted the future of the 190 is questionable and future delivery numbers will be reevaluated. The airplane can not make money over 800 miles. Also the heavy checks are proving to be more costly than the Airbus. The 319 NEO, albeit only a paper airplane at this time, is expected to have only slightly higher costs than the 190. Interesting times.......

So what's going on with these planes? Why are they failing?

I think there is a better chance they were discussing an aircraft swap. We have about the same amount of 190's as Frontier has 319/320's. We are frustrated with the 190's and could off load them to Republic. In turn Bedford (now that he has his concessions)can sell the airbuses and turn Frontier into a single fleet. Do I think this will actually happen? Probably not but that is a more likely scenario then a merger/buyout of Frontier.

I still think a merger is more likely down the road. Think about it - you get the Airbuses, you get a new West Coastish hub in Denver (without limited LGB slots - you can actually grow the hub a bit), a new mini-hub in MKE, and you have one less low-cost competitor (especially for East-West traffic). It makes sense from a strategic standpoint. Perhaps the E190 trade would still take place as part of the deal...

Regardless, I am sure the Investment Bankers and the high-paid McKinsey consultants will have it all figured out. :crying::laugh::bawling::mad:

Last edited:
I still think a merger is more likely down the road. Think about it - you get the Airbuses, you get a new West Coastish hub in Denver (without limited LGB slots - you can actually grow the hub a bit), a new mini-hub in MKE, and you have one less low-cost competitor (especially for East-West traffic). It makes sense from a strategic standpoint. Perhaps the E190 trade would still take place as part of the deal...

Regardless, I am sure the Investment Bankers and the high-paid McKinsey consultants will have it all figured out. :crying::laugh::bawling::mad:

Nope.

1)Den- An airport hubbed by 3 airlines with crap yield.
2)Mke - same as Den but with less people and 2 airlines.

No thanks, doesn't fit the business model, which is to stay in business.

The plane has had multiple electrical issues, structural issues, software issues. Embraer failed to meet certain benchmarks and therefore we were given one a/c. Most of the mx folks will tell you that with certain items Embraer is throwing up their hands.
The aircraft, according to Jetblue, was intended to be a market builder. In reality it has not been deployed that way and is now doing larger stage lengths. We fly the 190 on many seasonal 320 routes and for that distance the plane is no longer as cost effective as originally thought. The issue now is the investment in the training facility and orders. Thats an issue for the bean counters and ours are not that good.

Nope.

Agree. Im a Denver guy and I want Blue to stay far away from that sinking ship.

Anyone (especially management) who has been on the B6 system vs. the RAH system knows exactly why a merger between the two airlines will never happen. The service given to a customer on the B6 system is 100 times better than what is given on the RAH side. A merger won't happen, but a buyout of all of the RAH A320 and 190 assets is a much more likely situation. Bedford and company seem to be on the cusp of jumping off the RAH airplane with there golden parachutes in the near future. RAH is running so understaffed there doesn't seem to be any other way for RAH to stay in business (staffing wise) except to get rid of a lot of planes.

Nope.

Good points. That said, if JB intends to stay single into the forseeable future (i.e., no merger with a smaller or bigger airline), and growth is critical to Wall Street on a quarterly basis, can you tell me which West Coast locations could serve as potential places for future growth (i.e., no slot constraints like at LGB)?

West Coast is a huge, untapped market for JB - even with its LGB mini-hub. Seems like DEN could provide a place to grow with fewer slot considerations (and acquiring F9 would reduce competitors by one). I ain't making predictions - it just seems like LAX, PHX, LAS, SFO, SEA, SAN and PDX don't offer much in terms of capacity growth opportunities. Maybe ONT (not many slot constraints) could work IF West Coast growth is important? Who knows.... :confused:

Last edited:
Good points. That said, if JB intends to stay single into the forseeable future (i.e., no merger with a smaller or bigger airline), and growth is critical to Wall Street on a quarterly basis, can you tell me which West Coast locations could serve as potential places for future growth (i.e., no slot constraints like at LGB)?

West Coast is a huge, untapped market for JB - even with its LGB mini-hub. Seems like DEN could provide a place to grow with fewer slot considerations (and acquiring F9 would reduce competitors by one). I ain't making predictions - it just seems like LAX, PHX, LAS, SFO, SEA, SAN and PDX don't offer much in terms of capacity growth opportunities. Maybe ONT (not many slot constraints) could work IF West Coast growth is important? Who knows.... :confused:

My Guess on our future next 7-8 years:

LAX/SFO - Mexico (thats my guess, we are at international gates in both now)
NYC/BOS- Carribean (Belize, Trinidad, Antigua, St Croix, Fort O France)
BOS - Buisness Markets (DFW, ATL, CVG, CLE, STL)
BOS - Thinner Leisure ( SAV, CHS )
SJU - Buisness/Pleasure (Cali, Medellin, AUA, STI, BGI, etc)
MCO - Buisness/Pleasure (PVD, ALB, PIT)
MCO/FLL - Deep South (Medellin, Cali, Panama City, Guatamala City, Lima, Quito)
Point to point Carribean ( BDL - STI, SJU, SDQ... SJU - IAD, BWI )
Any DCA slots we can get ahold of and fly to Florida.

Also, we are still trying to get the 190 into LGB under the RJ slots, lets see how well they do persuading them.

Needless to say, this is all a guess, but all these destinations are likely on the radar, and I am sure there are a lot more that I can't think off. There are lots of potential markets for us to enter, especially in the era of M&A's where the legacys will likely consolidate a bit.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back