Jarhead

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"I heard it was filmed in Mexico"

I thought I had read that a large portion of it was filmed at Holtville Ca, between Yuma and El Centro. Anyone who has done a WTI out of NYL knows exactly where it is.

MECEPGrad said:
Enlisted avionics tech from 94-04. Commissioned 04.
Congrats.

I agree that the movie/book did air a little of the Marine Corps dirty laundry, and there were a few seens from the movie that were "hollywooded" ie. marine gets shot while low-crawling under live M-60 fire, and paintball training with M-16's etc. However, my experience as a grunt (6 years) and working with STA platoons there is no movie that has come this close to portraying life as a junior marine in an active duty infantry unit. There is no other movie that is even in the same grid square. As far as the book-movie translation the producers, writers, directors, and actors did an outstanding job. It was very faithful to the book but not completely; as book-movie translations never will be. I highly recommend the book and the movie to anyone that has or plans on serving in the Marine Corps epecially as a grunt. Grunt life is a very different culture inside of an already unique culture and the book and movie capture that extremely well.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back