• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jarhead

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the info. I was planning on seeing that one.

Outstanding movie!! As a former Marine Grunt, that movie was dead on in portraying the day to day non-P.C. culture of the Marine Corps.

Saw this and it was GREAT. It was very realistic, especially Saudi and Kuwait scene(s) looked like the real place. The "Suck" really did suck. Did anyone read the book? I heard it was filmed in Mexico. Film crew did a great job.

I read the book. Only took 2 days. Its a good book, and reads fast. I recommend it. Some people complain that the movie didn't translate from the book well, and I can understand that, although I haven't seen it yet.

Hard to make a hollywood "war" movie without a lot of war in it. The book deals more with the anxieties of waiting around for war, being lonesome, etc. than witht he actual ground war in the first Gulf War.

atlcrashpad said:
Saw this and it was GREAT. It was very realistic, especially Saudi and Kuwait scene(s) looked like the real place. The "Suck" really did suck. Did anyone read the book? I heard it was filmed in Mexico. Film crew did a great job.

Didn't see it, read the book when it came out. I thought the entertainment value of the book was okay, but more than a couple of parts were either pure fiction, urban legend, or the product of an intelligent person with an overactive imagination. It exposed some of the good and bad things about the Marine Corps, which, once you've been around long enough starts to feel like having your family's dirty laundry aired in public. I don't remember too many exact passages of the book but I do remember at times thinking "This guy is so full of it" and at other times thinking "Yep, I feel his pain." No plans to see the movie.

atlcrashpad said:

The book is way better than the movie. I think the movie may have drifted from the original intent of the book. I feel the author wasn't trying to glorify war with the book. The movie is another story. Overall I think the movie was pretty tame compared to the book.

MECEPGrad said:
Didn't see it, read the book when it came out. I thought the entertainment value of the book was okay, but more than a couple of parts were either pure fiction, urban legend, or the product of an intelligent person with an overactive imagination. It exposed some of the good and bad things about the Marine Corps, which, once you've been around long enough starts to feel like having your family's dirty laundry aired in public. I don't remember too many exact passages of the book but I do remember at times thinking "This guy is so full of it" and at other times thinking "Yep, I feel his pain." No plans to see the movie.

When you were enlisted what was your MOS?

Latest resources

Back