Japan Air Lines CEO has an interesting take on CEO compensation

hockeypilot44

Total Time
Great story. Makes me sick to be an American. We're a greedy society, and the executives have made themselves multi-millionaires at the expense of its workers.

PA31Driver

Total Time
6000+
Great story. Makes me sick to be an American. We're a greedy society, and the executives have made themselves multi-millionaires at the expense of its workers.
Don't tell that to Sarah Palin! She might brand you as being anti-american.

SpoilerFault

Total Time
N/A
Without a doubt Mr. Nishamatsu has to be the most honorable man in business. Unfortunately, those at the helm of American businesses will probably never show this type of leadership!

777forever

Total Time
Without a doubt Mr. Nishamatsu has to be the most honorable man in business. Unfortunately, those at the helm of American businesses will probably never show this type of leadership!
Under Obama they will! Change is coming...

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
Total Time
X>X
Our CEO's are just being good ol' greedy capitalist! That is what we value in this country. What is the problem?

Dumb Pilot

Total Time
Without a doubt Mr. Nishamatsu has to be the most honorable man in business
Accountability runs deep in the Japanese culture, you see it at all levels and not only at the top. The folks that load the airplanes take it as a personal failure when bags get lost and when a student fails a check ride, it is the instructor that has to go apologize for his failure (not the student's) to his superior. Our cabin attendants for example, have a very comprehensive briefing after every flight on which each of them explains how she can do her job better next time and what worked and what didn't during the flight, it usually takes about ten minutes. The funny thing is that to Mr. Nishamatsu it would be absolutely incomprehensible why we think that his behavior is special, to him the measure of his success is how well the team (company) is doing.

zman

Total Time
blowme
That almost seems to good to be true.

Green

Total Time
I think many would initially claim it's just a publicity stunt but this guy has been doing this for THREE years! I can't imagine a single CEO in the US who would be so selfless.....Truly inncredible to see a CEO worried about the same bills us peasants find ourselves worrying about (hot water heaters, etc..)

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
Total Time
14000+
Our CEO's are just being good ol' greedy capitalist! That is what we value in this country. What is the problem?
........just like the leaders of ALPA.....$400K+ a year while regional FOs make 18K.....pot meet kettle......

It's best to look in the mirror Rez. before you pontificate about what is "right"......

zman

Total Time
blowme
Yes, because no union protection at all would be better!--Moron

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
Total Time
14000+
Yes, because no union protection at all would be better!--Moron
How about a union that actually practices what it preaches? If you are going to complain about excessive executive compensation...then you probably shouldn't compensate your own executives excessively.....

Those in glass houses.....

Bigoober

Total Time
Japan is a capitalist country as well. The compensation of our CEO's has more to do with unethical and misguided behavior than whether or not we are a capitalist society.

I don't think Obama will change the leadership of these companies. It flies in the face of true leadership. A leader doesn't have someone (in this case government) tell him/her right or wrong. The leader does things because of their beliefs.

I would almost guarantee most of this man's employees work their butts of for the company knowing what this man does himself.

d328pilot

flying in asia
Total Time
Just another example of why foreign ownership would be bad for the US.

tomgoodman

Total Time
Shogun

Accountability runs deep in the Japanese culture, you see it at all levels and not only at the top. The folks that load the airplanes take it as a personal failure when bags get lost and when a student fails a check ride, it is the instructor that has to go apologize for his failure (not the student's) to his superior.
"Ishido used ninja; why shouldn't I? But I hired one man and succeeded...Ishido failed. Stupid to fail! Unforgivable!"

--Lord Toranaga

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Total Time
enough
"Ishido used ninja; why shouldn't I? But I hired one man and succeeded...Ishido failed. Stupid to fail! Unforgivable!"

--Lord Toranaga
One of my favorite books growing up. The miniseries was lame.

Skybus

Total Time
lots
This reminds me about an article in USA Today recently in the green section where they feature a single real estate market and the highest priced home and the median home. In this article it featured IND, and the most expensive in town. It was the CEO of "i believe" a drug company, although this may not be correct. Anyhow this CEO had rebuilt Versailles. This pompus prick thought he was King Louis XIV of IND. This is what our system has allowed. The return of Royalty. Something like 30 Million in friggin IND. Guess he deserved it after no doubt outsourcing/downsizing of employees and probably running the company into the ground?

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Total Time
enough
This reminds me about an article in USA Today recently in the green section where they feature a single real estate market and the highest priced home and the median home. In this article it featured IND, and the most expensive in town. It was the CEO of "i believe" a drug company, although this may not be correct. Anyhow this CEO had rebuilt Versailles. This pompus prick thought he was King Louis XIV of IND. This is what our system has allowed. The return of Royalty. Something like 30 Million in friggin IND. Guess he deserved it after no doubt outsourcing/downsizing of employees and probably running the company into the ground?
Don't worry, it will all trickle down on us serfs.

That guy just "worked harder" than the rest of us.

Flybet3

Fly for me! Get my Bonus!
Total Time
plenty

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Total Time
enough