• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jack Henry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I passed the blinfold test OK but now, when we fly, my captain makes me wear the blinfold over my mouth. Is that normal?:confused:

HMR said:
I passed the blinfold test OK but now, when we fly, my captain makes me wear the blinfold over my mouth. Is that normal?:confused:

I always find that the blindfold comes in handy when waking up in the morning:eek:

Yet another "revised" ad for pilots:

Captain needed for the Monett, MO location. Position is responsible for the safe operation of every flight. The primary duty of a captain is to be responsible for all aspects of the flight, including safety, customer service, and has final decision making authority in the cockpit. In addition to the duties performed as a captain, the employee also displays a higher level of company involvement by assisting with the duties required to make the department safer and more efficient. Such duties might include but are not limited to helping manage the maintenance on the aircraft or assisting with the improvement of our in-house training program.

Successful candidate will have a minimum of 3-5 years flight experience and hold a CFII. Must have C-500 type rating with PIC time and have experience with C-560 aircraft.

Co-Pilot needed for our Monett, Missouri location. Position is responsible for the safe operation of every flight. In addition to the duties performed as a co-pilot, the employee also displays a higher level of company involvement by assisting with the duties required to make the department safer and more efficient. Such duties might include, but are not limited to, helping manage the maintenance on the aircraft or assisting with the improvement of our in-house training program.

Successful candidate will have a minimum of 800 hours and hold a CFII. Applicant must be willing to relocate to Monett, MO

---

I assume the CFII requirement is for the in-house training?

avbug said:
How is it you're not familiar with blindfold cockpit checks? I can't imagine having to fly with a pilot who isn't blindfold-familiar with the cockpit. I should be able to name any switch, control, or item the cockpit and you should be able to reach out and touch it blindfolded, without feeling for it....
Yeah, I don't know about this. I know blindfold familiarity is a technique that's used in lots of military and civilian training programs, but I always kind of felt that it's one of those things that seeks to make this job a little harder than it is. If we're talking about thinks like flight controls, thrust levers, spoilers,flaps/gear etc., then yeah, you should probably be able to find those without looking. Ditto for emerg. equipment. However, if you've gone through a training program of any merit, you've used these things often enough that you CAN find them without looking, so a specific test is unnecessary. But, c'mon, things like pack valves or windshield heat? Especially in a two-pilot airplane, I can't imagine a circumstance where being able to close my eyes and put my hands on the right pack switch would save me. I figure that if I can't: A. See the switch, B. Wait until I can look at the switch to use it, or C. Ask my non-flying pilot to get it, then we have much bigger problems than needing to get to something like the W/S heat or crossbleed!

For the record, when I taught acro in the mighty :rolleyes: super decathlon, I always made sure I WAS able to find the door releases with my eyes closed, starting from the back seat. Not that I would ever really have had a chance in h*ll of getting out of the thing if the front-seater had frozen up, but I was surely ready to try! In a multi-pilot transport airplane though... being able to find every little switch with my eyes closed seems like the tactic of a check airman who would ask, "at what temp does the bleed leak sensor trigger?" (My answer for that was always, "who cares? When it's too hot!" Long as you know what to do WHEN it triggers, that's all that matters!)

Anyway, just my two cents. No need to make our job seem harder than it is!

Stearmandriver,

Kudos to you my friend. Blindfold tests are nothing more than training games. I can see (no pun intended) finding flight controls, dump valves (to clear smoke), pressurization controls, mask/goggles, landing lights, emer. equip, and BATT switches with the eyes closed, but anything else, you are right, is pretty much a blatent waste of time. Who cares where the Sync switch is in the dark? Issues like this come up when you do your training in house. You'd think the insurance folks would put the skids on (once again, no pun or forshadowing intended) this they of activity. Spend the $ and go to an approved facility so you can actually learn something. When someone gets hurt in one of these JHA aircraft and a lawyer does a little bit of digging ad finds out what is really going on over there, it's going to be a sad day at JH because the insurance company is going to write a check for their exposure then walk away, and JH will be left holding the bag for the rest of it, and from the deliberate steps JHA has taken to circumvent proper training, that payout is going to be HUGE. I hope it never happens, but from what I have read on here, it's only a matter of time.

Blindfold me and place in in any of our 727's and tell me to point out the clock.....yeah right.......who cares?

jack henry faa investigation

I heard that the Jack Henry and Associates travel dept. is being investigated for numerous FAA regulation violations. Anyone else heard about this?

pilot5559 said:
I heard that the Jack Henry and Associates travel dept. is being investigated for numerous FAA regulation violations. Anyone else heard about this?

Yeah, they probably read the above posts and figured it was a no-brainer...TC

I wonder if the ASI's assigned can fill out violation paperwork with a blindfold on...

Good question.

I also heard that their new safety coordinator is the same guy who used to mix hard liquor drinks for his passengers minutes before a flight and then "test" it to be sure it tastes right. Just shows you what you can get away with on a part 91 operation run by a bunch of hicks in a podunk town. lol, unbelievable

Latest resources

Back