Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jack Henry

Not only did the Director of Training take out a runway threshold light on landing, he denied that he had done it and let another crew dispatch the airplane. He never said a word to the crew and he never had the airplane inspected.

The low time training captain spoke of by Dontscrewurbudy...He (by his own admission) intentionally stalled an Encore at FL430. The airplane tail stalled and lost a few thousand feet before he recovered.

My point…these two guys are still in the department. Yet, Hunter and Arvin recently fired a pilot of seven years (claiming he wasn’t adhering to the SOPs). He is a safe pilot and has never had an incident.

I can assure you that everything that Dontscrewurbudy and Encorepilot have said about this company, Brian Hunter, and John Arvin is 100% accurate. John Arvin is definitely not a stand-up guy. He is a bend-you-over guy. He isn’t even really a Chief Pilot. He is Hunter’s secretary.

Anybody that is thinking about going to work for them is making a huge mistake. Do what you want. Just don’t say we never warned you.

JHA Headquarters
Attn: Jack Prim, CEO
663 West Highway 60
P.O. Box 807
Monett, MO 65708
(417) 235-6652

If you mail it, he wont get it. Fedex or UPS tends to get more attention. If there are truly issues, let them be known. Out of courtesy, copy Brian Hunter on the correspondance. Sounds like they need to bring in an outsider equipped with a broom.

The only question I have is.....

When with the flight department at Jack Henry be on the cover of ProPilot??
Sounds like they are a winner!!

To add to this post, I know John Arvin.....and have the privilege of getting stabbed in the back by him. It hurt at the time, but was the best thing for my career.......because I didn't get hired at JHA!

You can also just email their investor relations. They usually land on a VPs desk. Anybody know the CP and DOs email addy?

Update, the DO and CP have been emailed with a link to this post. Perhaps they can help us understand their unconventional methods.

Last edited:
I heard from one of their ex pilots is that they require you to sit in the cockpit with a blindfold on and must name every switch.
Its amazing what small town flight departments mentality will dream up.

How is it you're not familiar with blindfold cockpit checks? I can't imagine having to fly with a pilot who isn't blindfold-familiar with the cockpit. I should be able to name any switch, control, or item the cockpit and you should be able to reach out and touch it blindfolded, without feeling for it...weather you're in a J3 cub or an advanced tactical aircraft.

This doesn't mean flying around blindfolded, but it does mean being blindfold familiar with the aircraft you fly. I have always been a staunch advocate of that practice, and it's kept me alive.

Small town mentality? Not hardly.

Avbug

If the blindfold method is so great why dosent Flight Safety and Simuflite make you learn that?
Like someone else posted The Jack Henry pilots have never flown corporate before, so they dont have any other department to compare to.
Someday they will be in the news with one of their training blunders.

J3

Blindfold familiarity has been preached by many organizations for many years.

J3 guy, were you not the person who began posting recently claiming to have nothing more than J3 experience and posting flame bait messages about netjets, et al, regarding your need to be hired? Are you therefore a flame baiting troll, or truly someone with no experience at flight safety, simuflight, etc?

Blindfold familiarity has kept me alive on occasions when the situation did not permit a great deal of time or circumstrance to go heads down in the cockpit...a regular occurence in some of my work.

Since when as flight safety, simuflite, etc, ever been the be-all and end-all of training, or the bastion of safety, for that matter. I'm all for regular, recurrent training, but I've met far too many instructors at either organization (more commonly with flight safety than simuflight) with NO experience in the aircraft and a simulator type. Theirs is the world of the simualted syllabus.

But set that aside, J3. I preached blindfold familiarity in the Cub, too. Not just in the cockpit; let's face it, there isn't much to see or touch. Blindfold familiarity outside the cockpit. When it comes time to exit that aircraft in dark water, upside down, finding latches, pins, struts, and the surface is best facilitated with tactile familiarity with the aircraft, and from that comes the blindfold test.

Any skydiver knows this by heart. Look, to be sure, but feel. Anybody who has ever experienced a floating ripcord, or had to release a capewell latch (dating myself) on an extended riser knows to feel for it (as opposed to those who weren't familiar, felt for it, and held the webbing until impact...a too often occurence).

Pound the company into the dust, if you will, but don't show your own ignorance by tearing them down for a legitimate practice; doing so only makes you look bad, and does nothing to sell your point (whatever that might be).

Avbug,As a skydiver, I wholeheartedly agree with training muscle memory and thorough cockpit familiarization, whether that is through blindfolds or other methods. I have a hard time with understanding how "Critical Self-Evaluation and Health Habits" dictated by some wet behind the ears CP contributes to safe flying. Those subjects seem straight from a "re-education" camp. I will also say that a lack of formal training, disdain for following a well-executed flow with a checklist and encouraging flying low as a method of weather avoidance is going to one day land someone in a situation that smooching the CP and DOs butt by adopting their criticism and health tips as ones own will not address. Maybe I am wrong, but I have seen operations like this before and not a one has made it to this day without bending metal.

Latest resources

Back