• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jack Henry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the flying a lot part doesn't bother me much at this point in my life, but what's up with the training? sounds too sketchy. Do they self insure or are you allowed to do this with the insurance company occasionally auditing? Not putting anyone down or trying to start a fight just curious.

I heard from one of their ex pilots is that they require you to sit in the cockpit with a blindfold on and must name every switch.
Its amazing what small town flight departments mentality will dream up.
I guess they dont allow flashlights in the cockpit, that must be cheating.
Not sure how long they can do the inhouse training and keep the insurance companies happy.
Looks like they need a visit from the Feds with the over weight take offs.

J3

J3 Guy said:
I heard from one of their ex pilots is that they require you to sit in the cockpit with a blindfold on and must name every switch.
Its amazing what small town flight departments mentality will dream up.
I guess they dont allow flashlights in the cockpit, that must be cheating.
Not sure how long they can do the inhouse training and keep the insurance companies happy.
Looks like they need a visit from the Feds with the over weight take offs.

J3

well hey!! thats makes sense!!
blindfolded in the cockpit picking out switches.....outstanding folks, outstanding.

:rolleyes: .

"In an industry known for fly-by-night companies, Jack Henry & Associates has been around long enough to assume a patriarchal position. We've been providing fully integrated technology systems to financial institutions since 1976. And publicly held since 1985. That's a long time in this world of start-ups and acquisitions. A feat we credit to hard work, focused strategies, and a habit of going out of our way to build honest relationships with our customers."

I don't know anything about their Flight Dept, but this quote is from their corporate web site. Let's see; in-house training, flying blindfolded, spending your days off working in the office (I guess that means no real days off), low pay, middle of nowhere in MO, no standardization, overweight take-offs are the norm. It sounds like this Flight Dept is "fly-by-night" to me.

How far is it from Bass Pro Shop? If it's within driving distance, that more than makes up for bad pay, bad training, bad schedule, poor safety standards and the "office work".:rolleyes:

Here is some helpful info for any pilot who does an interview flight.

If there are T-Storms between you and the destination airport, do not, I repeat, do not deviate. SOP for Jack Henry is to cancel IFR, descend under the line of T-Storms and fly under it.

Think I am joking?? While flying with Mr. Hunter, a friend of mine deviated around some T-Storms. When they got back to Monett, Mr Hunter said that he wasn't a team player because he did not fly under the T-Storms. In addition, Mr Hunter said that my friend cost Jack Henry several hundered dollars because of the fuel he burned up while deviating.

Needless to say, my friend got into his car and drove far away!!

I guess now we see why they prefer low-time and inexperienced pilots...

They wouldn't know any better, and are just happy for the opportunity to fly a jet. Boy, they will get a wake up call at their first job after this one.

I interviewed with Jack Henry back in 2000. It was very informal and straight foreward. I too have heard the same rumors so there must be some truth to them for so many people from different backgrounds to hear the same thing. I am so glad they decided not to hire me back then. I like FedEx better anyway.

PseudoName said:
Here is some helpful info for any pilot who does an interview flight.

If there are T-Storms between you and the destination airport, do not, I repeat, do not deviate. SOP for Jack Henry is to cancel IFR, descend under the line of T-Storms and fly under it.

Think I am joking?? While flying with Mr. Hunter, a friend of mine deviated around some T-Storms. When they got back to Monett, Mr Hunter said that he wasn't a team player because he did not fly under the T-Storms. In addition, Mr Hunter said that my friend cost Jack Henry several hundered dollars because of the fuel he burned up while deviating.

Needless to say, my friend got into his car and drove far away!!

So, let's look at the "cost of fuel": Reduced TAS @ lower alititudes, coupled with much higher fuel burn. Cheaper?

What's cheaper: Deviating or hiring a backhoe to dredge the Citation and its occupants from the prarie sod when it gets smacked into the ground by a microburst?

How much does it cost to pound hail dents from the wings, radome and windshield of a Citation?

In an odd way, your post actually makes me feel pretty good. The last people I worked for were idiots, but they weren't quite this bad. Not quite.

C

I have friends that have worked at Jack Henry. I can assure you that the accusations above are correct. Jack Henry is a great company, however, the flight department is not. The flight department is micromanaged to the point of absolute absurdity. The pilots are told what lights to use and when to apply brakes on landing. Success within the department is neither determined by piloting skill, nor how hard one works, but by politics and how well one strokes the giant ego of the department manager. The department is hiring because they have had four pilots leave in the last two months.

All training is done in-house. You must pass PIC pre-requisites before being allowed to start the PIC training program. Some of the PIC pre-reqs include among other things: Visualization, Critical Self-evaluation, and Health Habits. You will be required to sit in the cockpit for at least an hour before each flight and “visualize” the flight. The PIC training program entails two months of being treated like a complete idiot. They prefer low-time inexperienced pilots, because those pilots are less likely to question the company’s methods and will be too happy about having a job to make waves.

Once through PIC training though, you can look forward to flying twice industry average for the same pay and having no guaranteed days off. There is no allowance given to express your own opinion, nor show any reluctance to comply with company policies, whether legal or not.

However, you may find Monett to be a very cosmopolitan place to live, that is, if you happen to be Cletus, the slack jawed yokel.

Bottom line: If you are really low-time and desperate for a job, you might go there and put up with their B.S. for a year or two. Get a type-rating out of them, get some valuable jet time, and then get out.

Latest resources

Back