I've been hearing rumors...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PigPile

of Flops furloughing more pilots. It seems that 30-50 more may be in the works. Does anyone else have any info?

Sad to say for the hard-working pilots of Flight Options, I'm thinking these market conditions combined with the OH-MY-GOD awful management may lead to a 100% furlough by the end of the year. Before you flame away, I don't want to see them shut down even though they are a competitor to my employer. I just don't see how they can survive.

Competition is a good thing. Look at the service where there is only one game in town, like SAN, SFO, ASE, BOS, etc. Monopolies foster complacency which breeds reduced service and lowers customer satisfaction. Competition also keeps prices reasonable, sort of. Kind of relative when you think about the costs involved for fractional ownership.

I can only hope this is just more BS, like B19 "hearing" we are parking 50 jets. Some people love to spread doom and gloom so they can pat themselves on the back when they are proven right. Doesn't matter that in so doing they are relishing in the pain and suffering of lots of people.

The conditions at FLOPS, however, have been deteriorating for far longer than the current economic conditions. And to fend off comments form certain individuals here, well before the union entered the scene.

I can offer nothing but thoughts and prayers to ALL of us, as the storm ahead will no doubt do some serious damage to lots of good people. Except for management, who will probably reward themselves with huge bonuses for allegedly "limiting" their losses.

Last edited:
My "Buds" at OPTS are working there tail off. 3-4 legs per day. They also report of very happy pax. My guess....My guess company and the big " U " about to enter into negotiations again. Let's see, hmmmm, planes getting painted and looking good, happy pax, busy pilots. Ahhhh, sounds solid to me. Remember, in a state or war, the first thing to fall is " THE TRUTH "

OPTS = Flops?

I've personally spoken to owners who disagree if the above formula is true.

I agree with you Pervis and I hope I'm wrong. Competition is what makes this country great (that's why I can't stand parents who think it's a good idea when their kids' Little League doesn't keep score). I never want to see any company close their doors, especially in this business. But I have had friends and family (my better half) working for aviation companies that pulled the plug. The death rattle is always eerily familiar each time. I can't help but hear some familiar noises right now coming from Ricci and company.

Im calling you out on your BS. The fact of the matter is toooo many guys were laid off. Business is pretty good from what I can see. Pouring cash into a fleet in times like these, means one thing.....Business is pretty good. Can't blame a guy for trying to save a buck.....or make one.

i am sure this speculation stems from Bob's latest doom and gloom email that went out last week.

Guys lets face it Flops is on the ropes 3-4 legs a day with happy pax means nothing when management runs an operation that is only profitable based on remarketing fees for the departing owner and profits initially on the purchase price of the incoming one.

The pre owned aircraft market is in the crapper and flops strategy to raise cash and improve liquidity by selling some older beechjets for ricci and companies new beech jet renewal program is deflated.

I saw the writing on the wall there 5 years ago and came to the conclusion that flops long term was unsustainable.

Right now today the business jet domestic frac market is about 50% of what it was just 90-120 days ago. The big question is how many of the fracs can hold out and how many will not.

Good Luck Guys Hate to see you suffering while Sanjay is supporting his family of 40 with his corner mini mart operation.

Folks, let's be realistic, everything is slow. The NJ guys who post here will try to paint a rosier picture but I spoke with a couple of NJ guys at a service center the other day and they said things were real slow for them. The entire industry has lost a lot of customers because the bonus dollars that paid for this service has dried up. The industry has been defined for a year or more and it became a market share business rather than a growth business. There is a shaking out going on. Heck, I may be out of a job, who knows. I hope it turns around but the economy sucks right now and even the wealthy are looking at evry dollar they spend.

Latest resources

Back