Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mrtoy2

I am the great cornholio!
It's time. It's time for ALL pilots, not just those at our own carriers to make a stand. Why are we allowing this to be the secret of the industry? Why is it so hard to get the message across to our customers? Why is simple business practices so hard to grasp? The message is this: Your cheap tickets are being subsidized by our paychecks and it must stop! Outside our industry other businesses increase the price of their products in response to cost increases. It would not be adventageous to ask the entire work group to take "conssesions" in their pay to subsidize a customers costs. This would only lead workers to find other jobs that cover their own costs. The oil industry has NO problem charging their customers higher prices in response to the "emotionally driven" prices of oil these days. Even more interesting, people (our customers) PAY these prices! Don't give me the crap about "well we raised prices and our customers went away". We, as a unionized workforce need to make ourselves heard. The way to do this is Demand that we 1)be compensated what we Deserve! 2) Demand that our management teams perform real management! 3) Hold our managers accountable for their mistakes as they would hold us accountable for ours! 4) This needs to be shown to our customers in a VERY PUBLIC WAY! It is the only way that they will understand. whew...had to get that out...JMHO

You sound like Che Gueverra. POWER TO THE PROLETARIAT!

Y'now, the Soviets tried this, as did the Chinese in the Cultural Revolution, power to the workers, baby!

It sounds like you've never even taken an introductory economics class. Or a history class. Or, even, a business class.

You are wrong. Communists are very anti-union. You need to study your own history on the solidarity movement that lead to the collapse of communism in Poland. watch Hugo Chavez in Venezuela with Oil unions Workers have rights in capitalism, and when they are abused and lied to the system falls apart (Enron, Worldcom, Lorenzo, United, countless other economic models to choose from).

You missed my point all together. I'm not pro-union at all. They are a necessary evil IMO. My point is only that Management needs to be held accountable for their failures. It doesn't take sitting through an irrelevant class on theory to understand the practacal. I'm not the one that should have sat through these classes anyways. If YOU look at history, you would learn that this industry 1)doesn't learn from it's mistakes and 2)Doesn't hold managers that have failed accountable. Usually they are recycled to other companies. You only need to look at the failings of Pan Am and Eastern to see this. I AM a student of history and I understand economics better than you might think. What my point is nothing more than charge our customers what it costs to do business not steal money from the employees.

If charging customers what it costs to do business causes some airlines to fail, so be it. That is capitalism isn't it? Not a popular oppinion I know. But this is part of holding management accountable.

The public, who buys the airline ticket, thinks $100K/yr is a great salary. They cannot understand someone making over that number saying they are subsidizing the low price airline ticket. It is a free market, get together with a bunch of your pilot friends and start an airline, charge a "fair ticket price" that will pay your pilots an airline pilot's living wage in the $250-$300K/yr range. I wish you the best of luck, if you pull it off it will be great for the industry.

Have to Agree

I have to agree that while supply and demand do drive the prices down, to offer prices below cost is suicide. And this is what the industry is doing, mutual suicide.

With load factors as high as they are, [87% last month at B6] and most airlines also seeing very high load factors, I see no reason to keep prices as low as they are.

If the transcon customer has to pay $300 round trip instead of $200, is this going to stop them?? I really don't think so. But the problem is that EVERYONE needs to raise prices, not just one or two carriers. If overnight all the internet shoppers saw the prices go up, then they will just shrug and book flights. The same as they do when the gas guage reads 'E' on their car or SUV. I used to groan when it cost over $25 to fill'er up, now $55 is not unusual. We pay, why not the airline customer too??

Let the consumer pay for the higher price of fuel. I'm not alone in wishing for a pay raise or a larger profit-sharing bonus.

"I'll take 'Famous Fads' for one hundred dollars..."

• Hoola Hoops
  • Mood Rings
  • Rock and Roll Music
  • Pet Rocks
  • Mullets
  • Bell Bottoms
  • Go-Go Boots
  • Disco
  • CB Radio
  • Jet Airline Travel

hard landing

this passenger had the nerve to rub it in..."Nice landing guys".
\
I quickly and politely replied, "at bargain price you paid for your ticket, you can either have the peanuts or a nice landing, but not both"...he laughed

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back