It's time...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
The public, who buys the airline ticket, thinks $100K/yr is a great salary. They cannot understand someone making over that number saying they are subsidizing the low price airline ticket. It is a free market, get together with a bunch of your pilot friends and start an airline, charge a "fair ticket price" that will pay your pilots an airline pilot's living wage in the $250-$300K/yr range. I wish you the best of luck, if you pull it off it will be great for the industry.

Pilotyip,
We have had this conversation before.
I have yet to see $100K......as a matter of fact, I have yet to see $50K.
My fiancee has yet to see $30K.
$100K is not great if you have to work 4 jobs combined to make it!

mrtoy2,

I certainly agree with your frustration and have felt it a time or two in my 35 years in the airline business but you must look at history. There are two overriding facts that will emerge:

1) The public doesn't care about your plight as an airline employee, or what you feel you deserve; they never have and never will because that's YOUR problem, not theirs. Appealing to a public that doesn't care about your cause makes you look foolish. You and your colleagues just have to do what you feel is necessary/appropriate without any notion of public support ( good luck on this one, too ). I've seen many empassioned, well-intended statements over the years about how we need to appeal to the public. I cringe every time at how bad this makes us look. You are the bum on the street. When's the last time you gave one $100 and took him home for a good meal. His plight isn't your problem. In fact, you're just a bit afraid of him.

2) Airline management has NEVER been held accountable for what they have done; they never have and never will ( assuming no criminal activity ). Look back at the history of the airline industry. Lorenzo, you say ? Do you really think this guy was actually held accountable in any material, meaningful way ? No.

Being held "accountable" means means you paid a price for your misdeeds...you felt pain...when you woke up this morning, no part of your life today was the same because of what you did yesterday...your future is changed...your family is affected. You know...like what would happen to you if you crossed swords with the feds and lost your license because you screwed up. That, my friend, is accountability. However, only the little people, like you, are held "accountable" in any meaningful way. Get used to it...just the way the world is...don't even waste any adrenalin on it. Welcome to life as a "little person".

I usually stay out of these discussions where opinion parades as fact, but you've touched on an area where I'm very sure I have an accurate perspective after a working lifetime in airline flying.

I feel your pain, Bro, I really do. I just think there is a limited amount that can be done by anyone other than the "little people"...and good luck on that one.

Last edited:
Yes Capt M, you and I have never seen $100K that is why it is a career goal. you are starting out and if you hang in there you may see it. I on the other hand am heading into the sunset and will never see it. A $100K in 10 years at a career job is a doable target.

capt. megadeth said:
Pilotyip,
We have had this conversation before.
I have yet to see $100K......as a matter of fact, I have yet to see $50K.
My fiancee has yet to see $30K.
$100K is not great if you have to work 4 jobs combined to make it!

You need to get a new fiance!

bafanguy said:
mrtoy2,

I certainly agree with your frustration and have felt it a time or two in my 35 years in the airline business but you must look at history. There are two overriding facts that will emerge:

1) The public doesn't care about your plight as an airline employee, or what you feel you deserve; they never have and never will because that's YOUR problem, not theirs. Appealing to a public that doesn't care about your cause makes you look foolish. You and your colleagues just have to do what you feel is necessary/appropriate without any notion of public support ( good luck on this one, too ). I've seen many empassioned, well-intended statements over the years about how we need to appeal to the public. I cringe every time at how bad this makes us look. You are the bum on the street. When's the last time you gave one $100 and took him home for a good meal. His plight isn't your problem. In fact, you're just a bit afraid of him.

2) Airline management has NEVER been held accountable for what they have done; they never have and never will ( assuming no criminal activity ). Look back at the history of the airline industry. Lorenzo, you say ? Do you really think this guy was actually held accountable in any material, meaningful way ? No.

Being held "accountable" means means you paid a price for your misdeeds...you felt pain...when you woke up this morning, no part of your life today was the same because of what you did yesterday...your future is changed...your family is affected. You know...like what would happen to you if you crossed swords with the feds and lost your license because you screwed up. That, my friend, is accountability. However, only the little people, like you, are held "accountable" in any meaningful way. Get used to it...just the way the world is...don't even waste any adrenalin on it. Welcome to life as a "little person".

I usually stay out of these discussions where opinion parades as fact, but you've touched on an area where I'm very sure I have an accurate perspective after a working lifetime in airline flying.

I feel your pain, Bro, I really do. I just think there is a limited amount that can be done by anyone other than the "little people"...and good luck on that one.

Would sure like to take this post in it's entirety over to the Fracs board. This sort of "big picture" thinking is just what the doctor ordered over there.
I feel for them.... but like watching a child fall several times while learning to walk, think we'll have to just sit back and let them take their lumps like anyone treading new territory. Some of their posts regarding labor/mgmt. issues are not just naive, they're downright comical.

Again Bafanguy, well stated.

Yes regional pay is ridiculous, however the upward pressure is starting to be felt. I saw it at ATL Air Inc last month. Three regionals had classes they could not fill. Pinnacle had to up the ante, now pays while in ground school. Watch for an increase in regional F/O pay in the next contracts. The $12K figure will not happen in the RJ industry. Adam Smith applies at both the top and the bottom.

bafanguy said:
mrtoy2,

That about sums it all up!!

FreightNazi said:
You need to get a new fiance!

No, that's ok, I will keep him, $hitty pay and everything else.

Awwww, mr. toy, thanks. :)

p.s. it was great to see all you guys tonite!

gkrangers said:
Regional pay is absolutely rediculous. It is CRIMINAL to expect someone to perform the duties of a first officer for that kind of money.

More uniformity in pay needs to be brought to the industry.

Its funny that the majors, who can't afford it, pay their pilots alot. But the "Regional" carriers, who can afford it, pay their pilots peanuts...

Things just need to get more reasonable...but if people are willing to work for the current wages and even less (and sometimes for free, and even paying to work) then things will just get worse.

How long before the $12,000 CRJ 700 first year FO ?
Most federal law enforcement jobs don't start out any higher than regional FO pay and most of those require a BA degree. Starting pay for most careers suck, why would it be any different for a 300 hour pilot, who should be thanking his lucky stars to be sitting right seat in a jet, instead of flying banners and flight instructing to build time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back