Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATRedneck

Live to fly, fly to live
Why do so many pilots of corporate-type airplanes say 'Sugar' in their callsign? Do they think it sounds cool? Or because it's old-school? Might as well go back to the Abel Baker Charlie Dog Easy phonetic alphabet.

There is one I hear up in Memphis Center all the time... "# # # Sugar Fox." I'm sorry, but unless you're carrying around the Village People, no self-respecting pilot should call himself 'Sugar Fox'. Repeat after me, "Sierra Foxtrot."

Please, in the name of all that's holy, stop with the 'Sugar' in your callsigns. And prospective students, don't follow those guys' examples. It doesn't make you sound cool.

On the contrary, it's kinda gay.

Last edited:
I have never ever heard this used. Maybe that's because I'm always on Uniform freqs...

And "on the contrary" isn't the proper term to use here. Maybe "additionally" would have fit better.

That's all from Captain Grammar!

I'm hoping their company callsign is "Sugar Fox". When I flew charter I used to hear the Sugar Fox thing regularly. Few things bother me on the radio but that drove me crazy.

I used to fly a plane with the tale # 50Y. One of the captains answered every call with "Fifty Yank" or "Fifty Why". The controllers would always respond, "say again?" After a few days I was ready to jump out the window at FL350. He got fired for something else but I always wonder if he's one of the "Sugar Fox" guys now.

Fury220 said:
I have never ever heard this used. Maybe that's because I'm always on Uniform freqs...

And "on the contrary" isn't the proper term to use here. Maybe "additionally" would have fit better.

That's all from Captain Grammar!

Nothing wrong with his terminology, it's his punctuation which needs a little tweaking. This sound better to you?

"It doesn't make you sound cool; on the contrary, it's kinda gay."

ATRedneck said:
Please, in the name of all that's holy, stop with the 'Sugar' in your callsigns. And prospective students, don't follow those guys' examples. It doesn't make you sound cool.

On the contrary, it's kinda gay.

I would have just put the "on the contrary..." up with the other paragraph. Other than that, it's fine. Additionally wouldn't make much sense there.

In response to the original topic, I think that they're just looking for attention. (Although I don't think that I'd want attention from controllers, per se.)

-Goose

i've heard this used on memphis center before by controllers. I was surprised at first but someone told me that near atlanta they use Dixie versus Delta to avoid confusion with Delta aircraft while taxiing etc....
No idea about sugar....probably a southern thing. ;)

A Squared, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Upon further review, indeed I should have used a semicolon.

Vladimir, I second the motion of adding "Sugar Pop" to the list. That is, unless you're flying for a cereal or candy company.

Latest resources

Back