• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagle757shark

It's really official-Southwest Airlines to buy 737-800
by Terry Maxon
11:30 am, Wednesday Dec 15, 2010

When its pilots agreed Dec. 1 to a contract side letter to cover flying of the Boeing 737-800, Southwest Airlines didn't formally announce that it would therefore order that aircraft type. Southwest officials did, however, say that they would be buying the airplane.
On Wednesday, Southwest chairman and CEO Gary Kelly made it officially official. He said the carrier would convert its 2012 order of 737-700s into the larger 737-800s.
In addition, he said the 2012 order would come to Southwest "ETOPS enabled," meaning that they could fly long distance over the water to Hawaii if Southwest decided to enter that market.
We expect them to fly to Hawaii. Kelly acknowledged that Southwest is thinking about flying to Hawaii. But he's not ready to announce anything yet.
Kelly said the airline's 2012 order would all be converted to Boeing 737-800s -- 20 aircraft, with delivery beginning in March 2012.
However, its most recent 10-Q said that Southwest has 23 firm orders for Boeing 737s in 2012. We've asked Southwest to explain the discrepancy.
Gary also said he anticipates that all Southwest orders for 737-700s would be converted to 737-800s until it gets enough -800s,
"Twenty is not enough, so we'll likely -- although we're not committed -- we'll likely take -800s for years. Right now, my target would be to get that fleet size up at least 70 aircraft. It could be more than that," he said.
At present, the 737-800s would replace older 737-300s rather than to increase the size of Southwest's fleet, he said. Assuming Southwest's purchase of AirTran Holdings goes through, it'll relook at its growth plans then.
But a one-for-one replacement of 137-seat Boeing 737-300s with 175-seat Boeing 737-800s would add capacity, even without growing the fleet.
Kelly is expected to elaborate on the 737-800 decision during a speech at 11:30 a.m. CST before the Wings Club in New York.
More details later.

Right now, my target would be to get that fleet size up at least 70 aircraft.

on top of Tranny purchase!

on top of Tranny purchase!

"At present, the 737-800s would replace older 737-300s rather than to increase the size of Southwest's fleet, he said. Assuming Southwest's purchase of AirTran Holdings goes through, it'll relook at its growth plans then."

I'll feel better when we grow for real
:)
Optimistic-

I bet HAL, DAL, AA, UAL, and ALK all pull out of Hawaii now. You don't mess with LUV.

OOOhhhh yea, sign me up for a 8hr flight with peanuts and soda. 8hrs because you know SWA goes no place direct. My guess the new route will be LAX-SEA-SAN-HNL. All in a days work.;)

LOL, JK guys, congrats on the new birds, interesting to see where you use them. I'm hoping for some real growth eventually.

Latest resources

Back