It's official...ASA to operate UAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought UA was Coke Zero? ;)

I had to reread the announcement, but Skywest, INC was awarded this flying. Guess what happens when ASA throws PBS out? Yes, that's right boys and girls, they take the flying from ASA and give it to Skywest. This will be leverage in the contract negotiations and for PBS.

Thirty turboprops for United? Any guesses? The q400 or ATR can carry more than the Mesa Dash 8's out of Denver. What happens when/if Mesa goes bankrupt?

I had to reread the announcement, but Skywest, INC was awarded this flying. Guess what happens when ASA throws PBS out? Yes, that's right boys and girls, they take the flying from ASA and give it to Skywest. This will be leverage in the contract negotiations and for PBS.

Thirty turboprops for United? Any guesses? The q400 or ATR can carry more than the Mesa Dash 8's out of Denver. What happens when/if Mesa goes bankrupt?

I really think this is prepositioning SkyWest, Inc. to takeover that Mesa flying (Dashes in DEN, and -200s in ORD). Which would, asI understand it, put Mesa in bankruptcy. Then, the rest of the Mesa United stuff would be up for grabs as well -- ASA gets all the IAD flying, SkyWest gets all the flying from ORD to points west.

I can see SkyWest loaning money to UAL as a hedge against JO offering to renegotiate rates below his cost to keep the UAL flying. This potential Mesa tactic has been identified by some of our management as a likely scenario in the event United gives notice to cancel/not renew.

I don't know what ASA's announcement says, but they have edited all on our side. They've deleted all mention of large turboprops and Q400s from the iShare and internal company release. That's kinda' odd, huh?

What's this crap I hear about the only ones who get United pass benefits are the ones doing the flying? If you're doing the United stuff, do you lose the Delta benefits as well? If not, that's horse hockey.

This couldn't be true!

ASA's on the way out!

Flying will never come to ASA before Skywest!

ASA is the redheaded step child!

Delta's buying ASA Back!

We're the next Comair!

We won't find a home for the 20 200s

More furloughs in the spring!

Another Shrinking Airline!

There's NO WAY we'll get growth with PBS, we're too expensive!

We'll never get 900s!

Doom Doom Doom, mixed with lots of gloom gloom gloom!

Oh wait.....

Skywest INC continues to silence doubters when it comes to efficiently running a regional operation.

Last edited:
What's this crap I hear about the only ones who get United pass benefits are the ones doing the flying? If you're doing the United stuff, do you lose the Delta benefits as well? If not, that's horse hockey.

Unless Delta beenies have changed drastically since I was living with some CHQ guys a few years ago you will want to keep your Delta bennies. The UAL bennies suck big time. They have added all kinds of fees. Can easily cost you 100 bucks to go round trip across the country. Since they tax the fees. "buddy passes" should be renamed "enemy passes" since they add the fees on top of the pretty much higher than standard buddy pass prices. Each city pair is a diff price and the buddy pass is charged by the leg. Most of the times you can get full fare tickets on other airlines for cheaper than the buddy pass.

They didn't say anything about bases, just that the flying will be concentrated around IAD and ORD. This means that we could have EITHER an ORD or an IAD base...or none..?

SH in RGT today said that we would probably start out with a IAD base with about 25 crews.
When asked if there would be any furlough recalls due to this he gave a definite NO.
When asked if PBS would have anything to do with that he also said no. But several sentences later he said PBS would reduce pilot need which is a good thing because of the "future pilot shortage". I don't know how long they can try to sell this pilot shortage thing before we catch on. I fear too long. But also if the laws of supply and demand still apply a shortage would be a good thing for pilots. At least we would have the bargaining power back.

SH in RGT today said that we would probably start out with a IAD base with about 25 crews.
When asked if there would be any furlough recalls due to this he gave a definite NO.
When asked if PBS would have anything to do with that he also said no. But several sentences later he said PBS would reduce pilot need which is a good thing because of the "future pilot shortage". I don't know how long they can try to sell this pilot shortage thing before we catch on. I fear too long. But also if the laws of supply and demand still apply a shortage would be a good thing for pilots. At least we would have the bargaining power back.

There is a shortage coming. The economy and the age 65 rule just delayed it a little while. Many pilots retiring, and few pilots in training = shortage. It is just a matter of when.

Latest resources

Back