• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's how Europeans handle a drunk captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hell, I remember a (true) story where a Co-Pilot I know very well, a friend of mine, had to sit left seat to taxi the aircraft out to the runway because the Captain was too drunk to do it.

That airplane only had a first generation very rudimentary autopilot, never mind coupled approaches and gee whiz navigation with moving maps.

By God, I remember the days when the President of the Airline used to call the local Bar and demand that one of his Captains get his ass to the airport for an ad-hoc DC-8 trip to Europe, or all of them ( in the Bar ) would be fired. ( Another true story. )

Uhmmm...did we work at the same place???? I know of a DO that had to call the bar in Germany to uhmmm.....get in contact with some people....Kinda funny..... As well as those other instances...hmmm

It is both Europe and Asia.

East of the Ural Mountains it is Europe, West of them it is Asia.

This ends your useless fact of the day.

Like I said ace, "...thought..." was they key phrase in my statement...that ends you jack ass fact of the day.

Last edited:
Relax comrades! Are we not equals?!

Doesn't appear that he was actually intoxicated ,,,,,,

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article5651516.ece
An Aeroflot spokeswoman said that tests had revealed no trace of alcohol in the pilot's blood. She blamed "mass psychosis" among passengers for the decision to replace the crew, although the company later issued a statement saying that Mr Cheplevsky could have suffered a stroke just before the flight.

I'm sure that made everyone feel better..

No praise here, brotha. In fact I stated that it appeared he wasn't drunk according to the article.

He should have run into the lav,changed into civies and called in sick...ate a bad airport hot dog.

...The row is a public relations setback for an airline that has worked hard to overcome its "Aeroflop" image. In the Soviet era, it was known for its unsmiling air hostesses, poor customer service and inedible food...

Uh, ummm, what does that have to do with the Soviet Union? I thought that description was born right here.

May be it was just a mass hysteria.

Like this?

http://avherald.com/h?article=40f459c8&opt=0

Incident: Aeroflot A320 at Krasnojarsk on Nov 1st 2008, deicing prompts evacuation
By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Nov 1st 2008 11:28Z, last updated Monday, Nov 3rd 2008 23:49Z
aeroflot_a320_krasnojarsk_081102_1.jpg
An Aeroflot Airbus A320-200, flight SU780 from Krasnojarsk to Moscow Sheremetyevo (Russia) with reportedly 200 (??) passengers, was evacuated while deicing for takeoff was in progress. A passenger looking out of his window saw white clouds of smoke, thought the plane was on fire, panicked and thus created panic with the other passengers, too. The crew decided to give way to the resulting stampede, alerted the tower and initiated the evacuation.

The white smoke clouds were in fact steam from the deicing fluid.

Aeroflot said the following day, that the air conditioning of the airplane should have been turned off during the de-icing procedure, but was running. Some de-icing fluid entered the vents and evaporated, producing some haze in the cabin, which obviously helped the panic.

A replacement Airbus reached Moscow with 141 passengers and a delay of 14 hours at 10pm Moscow time.

A passenger on board, who wants to remain unnamed, reported on Monday (Nov 3rd), that the airplane was sitting at the gate unusually long after doors were closed, then the airplane was pushed back, pulled in, and pushed back again a couple of times. Then the engines were started and the airplane taxied towards the runway. Immediately before the runway a deicing truck was waiting for the airplane, the airplane stopped. Shortly thereafter white clouds like smoke, steam or fog appeared inside the cabin from the back crawling just under the cabin ceiling and quickly filled the entire cabin. No smell was noticeable, definitely no smell like smoke, deicing fluid, alcohol or steam. While the haze distributed throughout the cabin, people were still quietly sitting buckled into their seats. Then a loud command was shouted from the back, prompting all passengers to unbuckle and raise from their seats, both doors in the back were opened, slides deployed to both right and left of the aircraft and the evacuation started. The overwing exits were opened by the according passengers, too.

While passengers were jumping down the slides, a S7 aircraft taxied along the Airbus and began its takeoff roll.

Fire engines arrived after a few minutes but didn't really jump to action. Some long time later 2 busses arrived and took the passengers to the airport terminal, where passengers had to pick up their luggage and send through screening again. Several passengers decided to not continue their journey and returned to Krasnojarsk.

Rumour amongst the passengers while waiting for the replacement aircraft in the departure lounge had it, that there was a fire in the rear galley. The source of the rumour however is unknown.

Latest resources

Back