• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It finally happened; Passenger lands plane in Fla. after pilot dies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes it has... I landed the space shuttle once at Edwards after the entire crew became incapacitated from mixing Tang with freeze dried Belgium Waffles. I told them not to do it.

Good thing was I on-board.
Liar! That was me and it was Tang mixed with astronaut ice cream.

Then there was that Cape Air 402 that a student pilot had to land in Provincetown when the pilot had a heart attack about 5 years or so ago... she was a rampie non revving sitting in the right seat with a back full of paying pax.

Not that the details of the Cape Air incident matter, but that is not exactly what happened.

BOSTON—A former Cape Air pilot whose illness caused an emergency landing in 2002 was sentenced to 16 months in prison for lying to the Federal Aviation Administration about his diabetes.

The U.S. Attorney's office said Ronald Crews hid the condition from the FAA for his entire career.
Crews suffered a diabetic seizure in the middle of a flight from Martha's Vineyard to Hyannis in February 2002.
One of the four passengers, Melanie Oswalt, landed the plane safely at Provincetown Airport, even though its landing gear didn't extend and the airport was closed.
Oswalt was a Cape Air security supervisor who was a pilot-in-training with just 48 hours flying experience.
Crews pleaded guilty last year to four counts of making false statements to a federal agency. He was sentenced Thursday in federal court in Boston.
BOSTON—A former Cape Air pilot whose illness caused an emergency landing in 2002 was sentenced to 16 months in prison for lying to the FAA.

The U.S. Attorney's office said Ronald Crews hid the condition from the FAA for his entire career.
Crews suffered a diabetic seizure in the middle of a flight from Martha's Vineyard to Hyannis in February 2002.
One of the four passengers, Melanie Oswalt, landed the plane safely at Provincetown Airport, even though its landing gear didn't extend and the airport was closed.
Oswalt was a Cape Air security supervisor who was a pilot-in-training with just 48 hours flying experience.
Crews pleaded guilty last year to four counts of making false statements to a federal agency. He was sentenced Thursday in federal court in Boston.

Note: Melanie still works for Cape Air last I heard.

I wanna know if his AME went to jail and if he lost his MD certification as well!!!

Latest resources

Back