Israeli consul denied seat on U.S. flt.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ya don't like the US of A then move

When did this become someone's problem with the USA?

Captain may be the captain, but he/she better have a darn (<--edited) good reason for refusing a passenger. I don't think this was a good reason, and I hope the captain suffers some disciplinary action.

Are we going to start kicking off every person "we" feel may be a threat to our aircraft without any valid information? I certainly don't think so..

Last edited:
350DRIVER said:
It is the captain's equipment and if he feels uncomfortable for any reason then by all means he is justified in making that choice-...

No, he may certainly NOT be justified. The company gets to make that choice. Mind you we're not talking about a mechanical problem, hazardous weather, or a suspicious passenger. We're talking about a passenger who was not a risk whom the captain, applying his own home-made brand of security, felt would somehow attract trouble. As I said before the airlines have an obligation to carry everyone excepting only those who are obvious risks. The consul-general of a friendly country is not a risk.

Any pilot in command has the authority to deny boarding to anyone on his aircraft. A pilot in command does not need to justify his decision to anyone. However, an employee of a customer service organization does have a reponsibility to exercise the authority granted to him in a manner consistent with safety and customer service (in that order.)

What this captain did is tantamount to denying boarding based on race, sex or religion. That is his right as pilot in command, but not as an airline captain. He had no reason to beleive that safety was being compromised. He behaved in a bone-headed way and he should face appropriate consequences.

I do find it alamrming that local law enforcement was demanding that the passenger be boarded. It's definitely NOT their call.

If my memory suit me , just a few months ago major airlines were denying seats to muslims looking passengers, so why now are we so upset because one of us denied a seat ?
I can bet you that if it has been a muslim we would have never heard about it.
Let stop the BS.

frenchy said:
If my memory suit me , just a few months ago major airlines were denying seats to muslims looking passengers, so why now are we so upset because one of us denied a seat ?
I can bet you that if it has been a muslim we would have never heard about it.
Let stop the BS.

No, airlines weren't denying seats to "Muslim" looking pax. Certain over-reacting employees were exercising poor judgement by letting their emotions get the better of them. The same thing isn't happening now because people have calmed down. This particular captain used his authority capriciously and inappropriately. It's not his authority that I deride but his judgement.

siedkick said:
Now that he's been convicted, I'd like to hear his side of the story.

Sidekick, good post. We don't know the whole story and a source like the "israeli insider.com" sounds like it could be just a little biased.

You're right in that the source could be showing a little favor. So the question is why didn't the mainstream media pick up on this? If the consul-general had in some way behaved inappropriately, as did that Secret Service guy, you'd think this would be splashed across CNN.

Things that make you go hmmm....

PIC=pilot IN COMMAND

I have no problem agreeing with the Captain's actions - none of us were there so none of us know exactly what went in to that judgement call. If somebody who by law is a multi-thousand hour ATP with enough time with the company to be a left-seater says something is so, that's good enough for me.

av8raaron:
You will find out soon enough that mighty airline captains are not gods no matter how many ratings or hour they have. Like anyone else they make mistakes and have errors in judgement. Captains are almost never called into the chief pilot's office to answer for their judgement on safety related matters. It's not unreasonable for the company to question the decision of a captain booting a passenger who's behaving himself. You're right in that we don't know the full story on the incident in question but what we do know sure sounds like the captain flew off the handle.

Latest resources

Back