• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AZaviator

El Capitan
Scenario:

You took the ATP written in June of 2002. You currently fly for a 135 company. August of 2004 you get hired on with and fly for a 121 carrier. Is the ATP written still valid as long as you're flying for this 121 carrier, or did it expire after you left the 135 company?

I searched through previous posts and couldnt' really find a good answer for this. Thanks in advance for your answers. :cool:

Jeff Foxworthy is a pilot?

Re: Is your ATP written still valid if..

AZaviator said:
Scenario:

You took the ATP written in June of 2002. You currently fly for a 135 company. August of 2004 you get hired on with and fly for a 121 carrier. Is the ATP written still valid as long as you're flying for this 121 carrier, or did it expire after you left the 135 company?

I searched through previous posts and couldnt' really find a good answer for this. Thanks in advance for your answers. :cool:

I don't believe so. The FAR's don't specify that the employment must be continuous only that the pilot be employed with a 121,125, or 135 operator at the time of the practicle test. Check with your local FSDO. You need to see these guys for an endorsement to your written test after the 24 month experation period anyway.

Purdue of 99?

Remember part 61, Certification: Pilots, Flight Instructors, etc.

Just kidding.....

61.39 Prerequisites for practical tests.

(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, an applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate or an additional rating to an airline transport certificate may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant:
(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a certificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of thìs chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved-

(i) Pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; and
(ii) Qualification training requirements appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; or

(2) Is employed as a flight crewmember in scheduled U.S. military air transport operations at the time of the practical test, and has accomplished the pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought.
-------------------------------------------------------
The key words:

1) Is employed...121(airline)...at the time of the practical test...

Old reg said continuous employment. No longer a requirement

JAFI said:

Old reg said continuous employment. No longer a requirement

Well not exactly, or not how I read it anyway.

I'm looking at a 1992 FAR and it required that the applicant be employed by a carrier before the end of the 24 months after passing the test, and it requred teh applicant to be employed by a carrier at the time of the practical test, but it seems to me to have allowed for a gap in employment.

Kind of a moot point anyway, as the reg has changed, but I'm always interested in those as I see many misunderstandings of the regs that stem from a previous version.

(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a certificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of thìs chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved-

So that means the day you take the test...you work for a 121,125, or a 135 the test is good for as long as you work for an 121, 125, or 135 carrier?

So, I could take the test today working for a 135 operator. Then go to a 121 and be a four year f/o then upgrade and the test would still be valid?

Wankel

So, I could take the test today working for a 135 operator. Then go to a 121 and be a four year f/o then upgrade and the test would still be valid?

That is correct, as long as you are a crew member prior to the 24 month period coming to an end then it will continue to be valid until you upgrade. It does not matter at what point you take the written but you must gain employment by the carrier within the 24 months or you will have to take it again.

3 5 0

350DRIVER said:
That is correct, as long as you are a crew member prior to the 24 month period coming to an end then it will continue to be valid until you upgrade. It does not matter at what point you take the written but you must gain employment by the carrier within the 24 months or you will have to take it again.

3 5 0

It says nothing about being employed before the 24 month period has expired, only that you be employed at the time of the practicle test. This reg is basically a exemption on the expiration date of the written test for employed crewmembers.

DoinTime said:
It says nothing about being employed before the 24 month period has expired, only that you be employed at the time of the practicle test. This reg is basically a exemption on the expiration date of the written test for employed crewmembers.

Yeah, 350 it appears, jumped in whith his (mistaken) 2 cents without having read what has already been posted....or the regulation, for that matter.

Uhhh, 350, go back and read the regulation, (see JAFI's post) where does it say anything about about being employed before the 24 months has passed?

Now, go back and read my post after JAFI's .... notice that prior to the 1996 re-write of Part 61 the regulation *did* specify that the pilot muct be employed as a flightcrew member before the end of the 24 months.

Hmmmm.... the requirement was ion the regulations and they removed it ... ya suppose that might be an indication that it is no longer a requirement?

Latest resources

Back