• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

is this real an F-14 flyby

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes. If you look very closely, you can see the navigator writing a check for 19 million dollars, his half of the hull loss.

others in the photo

The 14 is being flown by Snodgrass, as the board discussion says. The two others in the white floatcoats are Jay Johnson (former CNO) and Boomer Stufflebeam (my former CAG [CAG-1], and now admiral/pentagon spokesman).

Chunk

FL 000,
You never, ever, ever refer to a backseater as a "navigator." Doing that regularly runs up the bar tab dramatically. Even though he went through navigator training he is a WSO or a RIO, depending on branch of service. A prior WSO like myself is a "Wasso."

I had a feeling that I'd get stabbed for that one. I even tried to research it to make sure it was the proper term. Anyhoo, sorry for the misnomer. Since my ignorance is already on the table, I'll ask another one: is there a stick back there, or are you a passenger?

The hound is right. Not only do they hate being called that, but very few of them can actually navigate! You can call RIO's "NFO's", however. That stands for Naval Flight Officer, (or "No Future Outside" the Navy). There is no stick in the back of a Tomcat. I think RIO's are nuts, but I must confess to having a grudging respect for anyone with the balls to sit in the back while someone else flies them aboard....especially at night.

a BIG stick!!

The Air Force two-seaters traditionally have had sticks at both crew positions. I think the only exception is the EF-111 "Spark Vark." I know the "straight" F-111s did have them.

XNav pretty much nailed my navigational skills. When the GPS goes "funbags up" I'm pretty much a couple seconds after it!!

The Strike Eagle has a stick and throttles in the back seat. With the exception of a couple switches, the main things that the back seater can't do are shut down the engines or put the gear down normally.

One Anchor good, Two Anchors bad! ;)

XNav said:
I think RIO's are nuts, but I must confess to having a grudging respect for anyone with the balls to sit in the back while someone else flies them aboard....especially at night.

It's not just NFO's back there, in the S-3 there were 2 guys in back, including a Naval Aircrewman. Notice the past tense, they eliminated the enlisted guy, said we cost too much $$! Never could figure out how an E-5 cost more than an 0-3. Shoulda put 2 Senso's in back, saved even more money, and kept all the capabilities of the aircraft. (Can't do ASW without the SENSO)

Chunk <---former SENSO
(Not that I am biased or anything)

Latest resources

Back