• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is this profession in peril?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For the foreseeable future, as long as there are airplanes, there will be a need for pilots. Someday UAV's may change that...

I'm not sure profession is the right word to use. It seems more a vocation than a profession.

I still like to call it a profession. Most of us have college degrees and have had to study our butts off to get here. We forget that we could easily figure out what a manager does, we would just rather fly. I'm not sure how a business degree became worth so much more that an aviation degree, but that seems to be the case, despite the fact that we have peoples lives in our hands each day.

The bottom line is that people have been conditioned to think that a 39 dollar fare is the norm. Fares must come up, its that simple. Until the airline collectively figure this out, or Southwests hedges run out, its going to be tough on everyone.

Also, ALPA has not and can not represent "regional" airline pilots, due to obvious conflicts of interest.
There is no conflict of interest. The interests of regional and mainline pilots coincide.
Therefore, regional airline pilots perhaps should consider a national organization the way things stand now.
Regional pilots can't provide enough revenue to support their own union structure. As it stands right now, the larger carriers within ALPA have to help support them. To be self-sufficient, a regional union would require dues somewhere along the lines of 4-5%, plus some extremely large initial assessments that no regional pilots could possibly afford. Basically, a "RALPA" organization is unworkable.

alpa does not do Pinnacle pilots justice when it pushes for tighter scope restrictions for Northwest.
It most certainly does. The overwhelming majority of Pinnacle pilots desire to work for a major airline. They don't want to work at Pinnacle. They have to work at Pinnacle just to be able to move on to a career carrier at some point. With stronger scope at NWA, these pilots move on quicker to that job that they really want.
Conversely, alpa does not do Northwest pilots justice when it pushes for looser scope restrictions at Pinnacle.
ALPA doesn't push for looser scope restrictions at Pinnacle. PCL ALPA has no negotiations whatsoever with NWA over scope or anything else. The PCL MEC negotiates only with Pinnacle management.

You don't want to talk about leadership b/c that requires you to look in the mirror.
No it doesn't. I'm not a member of the leadership anymore. Haven't been in some time. I'm looking at this as an outsider just as you are.
I just go a step further and ask why it's there.
It's there because it's always been there. Pilots have been apathetic from the early days of ALPA all the way throughout its history. You like to imagine that this is a relatively new phenomenon, but it's not. It's always been this way. Pilots are just lazy and apathetic. They want to fly their trips and go home without worrying about any of this stuff. They want other people to worry about it, but then they want to b!tch about it all the time when things don't go their way.
How about instead of blaming and railing on those of us you ASSUME have done nothing
Ok, you say I'm just "assuming" that you've done nothing. So prove me wrong. What have you done? What office have you run for? What committee positions do you hold? Or have you just sat in the crew lounge and online and complained about the people that have done something?
DO you think you could just give reasoned arguments about what needs to be done w/o the apathy-inspiring critiques?
Asking someone to give reasoned arguments about the problems with ALPA without talking about the membership's own apathy is akin to asking a surgeon to help someone with a broken arm without setting the bone. The membership's apathy is 90% of the problem, so you can't discuss the fixing of ALPA without discussing the problems with apathy. You may not like to hear about it, but as Harry Truman once said, "I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell."
I'm being a LEADER right now
Again, how are you being a leader? Posting on an internet message board or complaining in the crew lounge is not "being a leader." Running for office and working to fix the problems is being a leader. Have you done that?

This profession died when the passengers who could actually pay our salaries bought private jets. There are now 11,000 business jets flying around. We fly for walmart customers at walmart wages, that's the profession as it stands today. Unless you have a plan to get those high paying customers back there is not much hope.

And ALPA is nothing resembling a kleptocracy, if you even know what that means.

[sarcasm] No, I have no idea what a kleptocracy is; I thought that it sounded like a nice made up word. Is there such thing? [/sarcasm]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleptocracy

[sarcasm]And I'm sure that the comments from fellow pilots that I've heard over the years about alpa favoring senior pilots along with the standard 'when you're a senior pilot, you can write the rules' and the 'pull up the ladder I've got mine' statements are not based in fact.[/sarcasm]

hey pocono...pull your big bad RJ over to my airplane ...i need a chock!

Why don't you give the regional folks your name so they know not to give you a free ride on their "chock" when you want to get home/work.

Then again judging from your post you most likely don't need a ride since you were probably born and raised in MeUmphus and never left.

Asking someone to give reasoned arguments about the problems with ALPA without talking about the membership's own apathy is akin to asking a surgeon to help someone with a broken arm without setting the bone. The membership's apathy is 90% of the problem, so you can't discuss the fixing of ALPA without discussing the problems with apathy. You may not like to hear about it, but as Harry Truman once said, "I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell."

There wasn't much apathy with the push poll. The majority of pilots voted on it. It had a higher voter turnout than any US presidential election. And I'd venture to guess that there have been few other votes in history where the turnout has been so high.

I especially loved the way that rez twisted the results. The majority of alpa voted. The majority favored the rule remaining the same. BUT if you took the dissenting votes and combined it with the abstentions, you could conceivably craft a majority. That's the type of thinking that seems to permeate from national. Kleptocracy in it's finest form.
You fail to acknowledge the problems with alpa, choosing instead to blame everything on member apathy and prater. Meanwhile, you, specifically YOU PCL, were a rep at the time. What did you do to stop this abuse of the system? Were all of the elected reps waiting for rest of us to go to Herndon with torches and pitchforks?

The majority of pilots voted on it.
No they didn't. Less than 50% of the pilots participated in the poll. I can't remember the exact number off the top of my head, but it was a minority of the membership.
Meanwhile, you, specifically YOU PCL, were a rep at the time. What did you do to stop this abuse of the system?
I brought a resolution against changing ALPA's policy. It was loosely based on the NWA resolution that had the same intent. The NWA MEC passed their resolution, and their Chairman and EVP did as directed, but I couldn't get a majority of my MEC to go along with it, and our Chairman and EVP voted in favor of changing the policy. I pushed it as hard as I could, but a few regional lifers on the MEC (including the corrupt former MEC Chairman) were able to defeat it. I also personally talked with Prater as early as last February and told him that I thought he was making a big mistake in pushing this issue. Of course, he brushed me off and continued to enjoy the praise of the AAA reps that thought changing the rule was the best idea since the pill. I also talked with numerous EVPs both before and after the vote to let them know what I thought of the change. In the end, one rep from a mid-sized regional doesn't have much pull, Andy. Few people were really pushing against the change. Only the NWA MEC was really unified against this change. None of the other MECs really rallied against Prater, and that can be blamed on the ambivalence of their members. If a huge group of UAL, DAL, CAL, etc.... members had exerted just 10% of the effort that the APAAD scumbags did, then they could have pushed their MECs into taking action. Without that kind of participation, then you should expect these sorts of results.

No they didn't. Less than 50% of the pilots participated in the poll. I can't remember the exact number off the top of my head, but it was a minority of the membership.

Maybe the minority of pilots voted at PCL. The numbers are near impossible to find; I saw them in one place. And that place was NOT alpa.org. So you can spin it any way you want, the results have only seen the light of day because a few reps have leaked them.

I can't find the results anywhere. I can, however, find this: http://news.findlaw.com/prnewswire/20071213/13dec20071344.html

Stop the spin. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Inhouse is the only way to get representation that's accountable to the membership.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back