Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is the 'worm turning'? Could SWA finally be going international (Canada)?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for that Dr. Phil......???? Only one can conclude WHAT again???? Where did you come up with that? Really.

First of all, I do fly domestic, sometimes. The ATL 767ER category has both. I am senior enough to fly just INTL, but I usually do about 75% INTL, and the remaining 25% domestic. Any open trip is fair game to swap for or pick up, and I usually start out with all INTL trips but give one away to trade for a domestic trip. That gives me the best of both worlds, and plenty of landings. The key here is variety, and that is something that DL has, and SWA does not. While your pay is great, you also know that you will have to WORK for it, and that means plenty of legs per day, which to me is tiring. Even the domestic trips I fly have one or maybe two legs a day max (I try to get 4 leg 4 day trips), which allows me to relax a bit. So do longer layovers, allowing me to sleep and enjoy the layover. Your compact 3 or 4 day trips are stuffed with legs, because that is how your business model works. That is pretty much what you have to look forward to FOREVER. If I wanted to do that, I would bid the MD88, which is another example of variety. Different fleet types do different missions, and your mission is to fly, a lot. That just isn't something most pilots really want to do. I thought the goal was to get paid a lot (which you do) to fly a little. As you get older, you will understand that. I wince if I see more than one leg per day. But, if you like that stuff, good for you. Enjoy it.

How long have you been on this board? I usually bring up LBB or something like that to get a rise out of guys like Gup or Redflyer69, but I usually state that I think SWA's pay is great, the stews are nice, and management is great (so far). There are a lot of things I like about SWA, but I just don't like the flying (legs) or the lack of variety. The people are great (mostly), but some people just don't want to do it. That really irks some people, and it is interesting to watch them become very defensive. I point out some perceived flaws, and I get jumped all over.

So, you enjoy your job, and I will enjoy mine. I am not insanely jealous of SWA pilots. I just like to see them get all bent when someone doesn't want what they have.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Being at work to work - what a novel concept!!! Perhaps that's why SWA continues to be profitable while everyone else has massive amounts of debt. And I have zero bias toward any carrier - big, small, domestic or intl. A plane is a plane is a plane - as long as you enjoy the job who cares. And yes, a hotel is a hotel no matter where. I've slept in them on 6 continents from Prague to Paris to NYC to Santiago - the only things I care about are the women and the booze. Every continent has them...I am preferential to Spain's...

I usually don't post here, but i gotta say, General, you are funny!

FYI for you, and maybe others, I think your view of our flying here at swa is what it was in the 80s (so i hear).. when it was nothing but six legs a day to places like LBB.

I'm based in LAS and I usually do two or three legs a day, sometimes ONE, to the east coast. And we overnight in places like BOS, LGA, and (of course), SAN.. and plenty of them are for 18-19 hours.

Sure, there is still the "texas two step" flying but its really a small number of trips overall. I would say for ME, my average number of legs a day is three to four. Not saying that swa is 'all that and a bag of chips,' .. just sayin..

So we do have a variety of flying, and overnights, just like your International vs. Domestic lines. And hey, ELP IS almost like a whole other country!

DAL is a great company, and sure, i'd love to fly international once in a while. But the flying at swa is fun too. To each their own.

By the way, not all of us at swa are arrogant bastards, nor are all the guys who post here. Best of luck to everyone at their respective carrier, God help us.

You should catch my act at the Laugh Barn in Marietta, GA every Thursday night at 8pm. I always have them rolling. My "Cattle Car to Lubbock" routine is my most requested by audience members.

Anyway, I know you guys enjoy your flying, and I am sure it can be fun with your "younger" stews. Some of the ones I fly with could be my Granny. Places like SAN and BOS are a blast any time of the year, and that sure beats West Texas layovers.

The reason I keep bringing up the differences is because I like getting a "rise" out of some of these SWA pilots. (not in a weird way either) It makes me laugh everytime some of these guys get so defensive, claiming what they have is the SHIZNET. There is a whole wide world out there, with differences and pay scales that are bound to bounce back to yesteryear. You guys are fortunate not to have gone through a downsizing or pay reduction, which really wasn't fun. Sometimes that is thrown back into legacy pilots' faces, and of course that usually turns to looking at differences in flying. I personally have nothing against SWA pilots in general, rather just a few yahoos on this board. I am sure they like slamming me too. It's all in good fun. The only thing I am totally SERIOUS about though is NEVER going back to LBB. I drove through there ONCE and hated it. It still gives me the farts just thinking about it. I am sure some of the people there are nice, but I just don't want to go back.

I know that your flying has somewhat changed since the 737-700 came your way, but there are still plenty of trips that have more than one or two legs a day. That just isn't your model overall. You mainly fly the max, and then get good time off. I just don't want to fly the max when it comes to multiple legs days anymore. To each his own again.

Thanks for your reply, and have a good one!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Holy crap, GL, that was civil. I think I just had a heart attack, nope, it was just indegestion. No heart, so I am told.

Dang General.

I was going to warn him about "your gig" but you took the words out of my mouth.

For all my bro's that get spun up just remember - it's all in good fun that we talk trash on here, isn't it?

I even think Tanker Clown and BllLumberg are funny.

Gup

Dang General.

I was going to warn him about "your gig" but you took the words out of my mouth.

For all my bro's that get spun up just remember - it's all in good fun that we talk trash on here, isn't it?

Gup

Gup, have you been drinking again? I like to have a few cold ones myself, but I try not to post after a six pack :)

Dang General.

Gup

No, I agree. I have taken Tanky Clown off of ignore because I find him funny, and that Frank Lorenzo guy makes me laugh out loud. It's all fun, and informative. I know you guys have learned that DL pilots have Variety, and I have learned that some SWA guys get spooled up when I say I don't want to go to LBB, regardless of the pay. It's all gooooood....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back