Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Skywest losing ground in Salt Lake City?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Being a Mesaba person it doesn't particularly feel like we are expanding.

The 900 flying is being bounced around from month to month so much that no one can get a feel for it. And with the SAAB's leaving, I am expecting a downgrade by the end of the year. I am not a new hire, low time Captain.

Being from the NWA side of things, no one at Mesaba find it surprising with the constant changes. That was the normal. I think it's funny when people from ASA and Skywest talk about Mesaba "stealing" your flying. We go where were told. Personally, you can have Atlanta. I never liked going there anyway. Salt Lake is really nice though.

Heck - I wouldn't be surprised if Delta took our 900's away. Who knows General maybe you know something I don't. Expanding would be great. I just haven't been feeling the love.

Well, I don't know about you guys expanding, but EVENTUALLY we will be hiring due to all of the Delta-N pilots retiring. I think this year is a wash, but maybe at the end of the year we may see some movement, and if that happens some of your pilots and CPZ guys will probably move over, meaning you will move up and hopefully keep your seat, until you come on over. Good luck to you.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I really appreciate that General.

I think at 46 I am probably going to finish my career at Mesaba. I like the idea that people will go to Delta, but even if I wanted to go it's years before my number would come up (only 9 a month) so I will just be happy if I can keep my base.

I'm curious because I wasn't flying professionally then...what exactly about Comair's 2001 strike and the (then) industry-leading contract that resulted from it makes it a "failed" strike?
It was a failed strike because the pilots got no concessions from management, and because pilots crossed the picket line in droves. Later, ALPA was decertified at Comair.

Sounds like someone's fantasy, doesn't it?

Well, I don't know about you guys expanding, but EVENTUALLY we will be hiring due to all of the Delta-N pilots retiring. I think this year is a wash, but maybe at the end of the year we may see some movement, and if that happens some of your pilots and CPZ guys will probably move over, meaning you will move up and hopefully keep your seat, until you come on over. Good luck to you.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

You really shouldn't loan out your Flightinfo password.

Now get out of here and post on the mainline board!!!

;)

I really appreciate that General.

I think at 46 I am probably going to finish my career at Mesaba. I like the idea that people will go to Delta, but even if I wanted to go it's years before my number would come up (only 9 a month) so I will just be happy if I can keep my base.

There were guys in my class in 96 that were over 40 years old. If you want to give it a try, I would say do it, it is never too late to start something that could better your life. Sure, a year or two reserve wouldn't be the best, but after that you could notice how much better you would be treated, and maybe see some more of the world on DL's dime. It's up to you, but if you see a DL jumpseater on your plane often, try to get his card and get get him to write a recommendation for you. When the hiring comes, I don't think there is a limit on "only 9 a month" going total, rather 9 a month automatically going over. It's up to you, but you never know. Regardless, again, good luck to you.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Try to get the coveted "General Lee" recommendation. It's a dead ringer for getting hired... to dump lavs.

Look, again, I don't care if you like women, that's fine. It doesn't change my opinion about you, that you gargle with feminine dou--che.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General -

Leaving Mesaba for DL (or anyone else) with decent seniority is a lot more than just getting treated better. Many folks can't justify the paycut. Going from a 10-15+ year CA at Mesaba, to a new hire at Delta is a pretty healthy paycut. How long would it take to recoup that paycut? It might only take a few years to match the pay rate... but what about all the lost income? How long would it take to recoup the 401k benefit cut? For a guy who is 46-50, there may not be enough time to make that happen. The longer we're at Mesaba (by choice or by industry circumstances) the harder it is to move on. For some, the grass ISN'T always greener.

General -

Leaving Mesaba for DL (or anyone else) with decent seniority is a lot more than just getting treated better. Many folks can't justify the paycut. Going from a 10-15+ year CA at Mesaba, to a new hire at Delta is a pretty healthy paycut. How long would it take to recoup that paycut? It might only take a few years to match the pay rate... but what about all the lost income? How long would it take to recoup the 401k benefit cut? For a guy who is 46-50, there may not be enough time to make that happen. The longer we're at Mesaba (by choice or by industry circumstances) the harder it is to move on. For some, the grass ISN'T always greener.

Well, right now the lowest pay at DL is around $50 an hour the first year, and then probably $70-75 the next year, with about $100 an hour the next. (depending if you want to move up fleet types). You also get better 401K deals, a DC fund with 13-15% matching (so, whatever you make for that month the company has to match it 13-15% and put it into the investment fund---if you make 10,000 in a month---the company has to put $1300 into your fund, etc). The company pays for your life insurance ($500K for you), pays for your medicals, etc. When it comes down to it, you are treated better, have better hotels, more money, and a chance to see something other than smaller towns or 5-6 legs a day. If someone HAS TO keep a job because they can't spare ONE or TWO years of less pay (not bone cheap pay---$50 an hour aint that bad---I started at $30 an hour back in '96), then that is just bad planning or nonexistant planning. Whatever, to each his own, but a year or two of "struggles" could mean a lot more of comfort. Getting on at the beginning of a hiring wave is also important.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back