• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is NetJets a career place?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If it's so bad, why exactly are you at NJA? Let's see how accurate I am: 1) This is the only flying job you've ever had, excluding flying for mommy and daddy's business. 2) You've always wanted to go to a "major," but can't even measure up to JetBlue. 3) You're just generally pissed off at the world (because apparently it owes you something), and a real joy to be around. Close? :rolleyes:

You are 0-3 better luck next time.
Never said it was bad just said its not the best, it's better than a commuter but not in the same league as a Major. See that gentleman X-rated post. He is at AWA one of the lesser of the Majors and he still said it is head and shoulders above a fractional racket. As for being here if aviation was the only thing I knew and was my sole source of income I wouldnt be here. Id be at a Major or flying for a Fortune 500 company out of Teb or Hpn or ISP( I was already offered a job in TEB and declined). I have my own company now and the sense of satisfaction and financial viability is second to none. I enjoy flying professionally but the most fun I ever had flying was flying a 172 into grass strips. I love the work I do in my business because it's mine and I do it on my terms. To answer your question Im here now because I am growing my business and NJA allows me to have the time off to give my clients the attention they need and deserve. I wont be flying professionally much longer but just know that while everyone was flying SAFELY and PROFESSIONALLY i was doing it more focused than most because I care about those here even though i knewI wouldnt be here probably more than another year or two. As for being pleasant to be around that depends. I was never the type to tell people what they wanted to hear, but I am very close with my closest childhood friends to this day and they like being around me. So does my family. Beyond that I could really give a sh*t less.

Last edited:
I know a couple days have gone by since I posted the following, but it is a truthful account. Seems that even if you lead some folks to the watering hole you will never be able to make them drink. Some will distort the negatives to the extent necessary to make their argument while overlooking ACTUAL DATA provided by someone on the inside.

Oh well, here it is again, pay close attention to things like length of duty day, length of overnight and actual days worked vs. days AT HOME.......

Here’s another slant on NJA from the perspective of an actual NJA pilot:

I DO NOT commute. I fly from home. My travel is company paid positive space travel and I keep the airline miles. This also means that my first and last days involve very little work. I have elite status on 4 carriers and ride First Class often (remember that I am on duty at this point as well).

We are briefed no later than 7pm the night before day-1 and it cannot change and we cannot be contacted.

I have 3 weeks vacation per year (which is really 9 weeks). I also have 3 weeks of paid training per year so now I am down to “working” 20 tours per year. I could knock this down to 18 tours by using up my sick leave each year.

Now, if you take 18 weeks and conservatively figure 6 days per tour of work (one day less than 7 due to airlines on day-1 and day-7). This is a fair comparison because the airline guys are not counting their commuting days only the duty days.

That equals 108 days of line flying per year or 9 days per month. How does that compare to airlines? Oh yeah, I have 4 weeks vacation at year 10 (actually 12 weeks) that will drop it down even more.

I have never flown more than 450 hours a year here in 6 years.

I am NEVER away from home on my “off” days like many 121 guys are (commuting). If they don’t get me home by the end of my last scheduled day then the economic penalty to the company makes for a VERY nice Xmas at my house. I also “comp off” those hours returned home late from the beginning of my next tour.

Base pay in the neighborhood of $100k at year 5.
If you are young you can look forward to a base pay of $200k (or $240k in the BBJ). I am currently earning another 15-20% over base pay with “normal” overtime. I DO NOT volunteer for any extra but it is there if you want it. Also I AM NOT on the reserve payscale which is a fair amount better.

401k 50% match, insurance fully paid by company, around $8k tax free per-diem in your pocket each year (we don’t buy food here).

We DO NOT stay in Hotels less than Hilton quality and we keep the hotel points too.

10 hours minimum rest begins upon arrival at the HOTEL. Normally it is between 12-16 hours.

We have actual BRIEFED rest. If they shut us down at 4pm today and brief us (yes, they have to brief us before shutdown) for a Noon show tomorrow they CANNOT touch us until Noon tomorrow, no phone calls, etc.

An average day for me is 3-4 legs, 4-5 flight hours, 9-11 duty hours.
Payscales at NJA and the majors are growing towards each other at a fast rate.

Here's the tour I just returned from:

Day1: Airline only, go to hotel (started at 0445L today), 10.5 hours rest
Day2: 3 legs, 9 hours duty, 13 hours rest
Day3: 4 legs, 10.5 hours duty, 14.25 rest
Day4: 1 leg, 10 hours duty, 11 hours rest
Day5: 5 legs, 14 hours duty, 12 hours rest
Day6: 4 legs, 12.25 hours duty, 16 hours rest
Day7: 4 legs, 12.5 hours duty (7.2 hours flight today---the most in one day this tour) and then ferry to my home base and in my house at 2000L.

For the year 2005 I was on duty (including training) for 161 days. I only had 2 weeks vacation last year. I used some sick days to knock out one tour. Of the 161 days I did not fly for 43 of them (training, airline only, etc.). This has me flying the line for 118 days or 9.83 days per month. Pretty close to my example above.

Hey, even if you guys want to figure all 161 of my work days into the discussion, that is still only 13.4 days per month for ALL of my obligations away from home. That works out to about 16.6 days off and actually at home each month.

Again, lets remember that many of the airline folks that may only work 11 or 12 days per month are still doing some travel on THEIR time. Not me.

Last edited:
Most airline guys are flying more than me per month, and I'm in the XL!!!!! If you figure out what they make per month and divide it by the amount of time they spend at work or comutting to and from work I bet you'll find many people at NJA are doing pretty damn well.

Its not all about hard $$$$$.....

How frustrating to be told by a few that you don't have a career, just a job. There are a few others who say that the NJ pilots are greedy. :rolleyes:
It appears that those opinions are coming from the fringe element. Other pilots are applying, the sims are full, and many from NJ have been thanked for raising the bar in the industry. That's a lot of activity/discussion centered around a flying position.

Those who work at "jobs" don't have specialized skills, and they can be replaced quickly with a worker off the street. Career positions require extensive training and experience. Given the number of questions I have read in this forum asking if the mins at NJA are firm, I rather think that settles the issue. Pilots are professionals--period--and as such, they have careers, not jobs. They aren't at fault if it takes some employers longer than others to accept that fact and compensate them accordingly. It's not the uniform that makes the pilot.

Those who seek to improve conditions at the company of their choice are to be respected for upholding professional standards.
Having a career is normal. Fighting for it is much more impressive. Best of luck to those willing to make a stand.
NJW

as214 - Apparently I've wasted my time debating this issue with you. It is impossible to have a meaningful debate if you keep changing your story with each post.
as214 said:
As for being here if aviation was the only thing I knew and was my sole source of income I wouldnt be here. Id be at a Major or flying for a Fortune 500 company... To answer your question Im here now because I am growing my business and NJA allows me to have the time off to give my clients the attention they need and deserve.
Even in their current state a major airline guy with accrued seniority will get 17-18 days off per month.
I guarantee he has the option to bid his schedule as such to get 17 off after two years if he wants.
If you could get so much time off at a major, and you could be at a major if you wanted to, why aren't you there? Which is it - would a major give you more time off, or NJA?

Nevermind, don't bother answering. I don't really care, and I'm not sure I'd get a straight answer anyway. I've wasted enough time on this with you already.

as214 said:
If it's so bad, why exactly are you at NJA? Let's see how accurate I am: 1) This is the only flying job you've ever had, excluding flying for mommy and daddy's business. 2) You've always wanted to go to a "major," but can't even measure up to JetBlue. 3) You're just generally pissed off at the world (because apparently it owes you something), and a real joy to be around. Close? :rolleyes:

You are 0-3 better luck next time.
Never said it was bad just said its not the best, it's better than a commuter but not in the same league as a Major. See that gentleman X-rated post. He is at AWA one of the lesser of the Majors and he still said it is head and shoulders above a fractional racket. As for being here if aviation was the only thing I knew and was my sole source of income I wouldnt be here. Id be at a Major or flying for a Fortune 500 company out of Teb or Hpn or ISP( I was already offered a job in TEB and declined). I have my own company now and the sense of satisfaction and financial viability is second to none. I enjoy flying professionally but the most fun I ever had flying was flying a 172 into grass strips. I love the work I do in my business because it's mine and I do it on my terms. To answer your question Im here now because I am growing my business and NJA allows me to have the time off to give my clients the attention they need and deserve. I wont be flying professionally much longer but just know that while everyone was flying SAFELY and PROFESSIONALLY i was doing it more focused than most because I care about those here even though i knewI wouldnt be here probably more than another year or two. As for being pleasant to be around that depends. I was never the type to tell people what they wanted to hear, but I am very close with my closest childhood friends to this day and they like being around me. So does my family. Beyond that I could really give a sh*t less.

Great, not even a real pilot. Just some dork with an opinion. Question, why are you such an a#$hole? and if you are so rich what the h$% are you doing on this board? Idiot.

Correction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gunfyter said:
Hogprint said:
Everyone throttle back on 214...he just likes to come over from the Corp board and do some NJA bashing for sport! For some reason he's had an axe to grind with us for some time.

I see you and other Corp guys make the point that there are better Corp jobs out there with better bennies and moola. quote]

Thats funny.... I read 214's posts on our board all the time. What Corporation do we let on the IBT message board?

Cease fire! Misfire on my part. Got him confused with H25B. He does some drive by shootings from the corp. Damn, I gotta quit drink'n and typ'n....

Hogprint said:
gunfyter said:
Cease fire! Misfire on my part. Got him confused with H25B. He does some drive by shootings from the corp. dang, I gotta quit drink'n and typ'n....

I think you just hit 214 with the lowest blow he coud take... Don't know how he will recover from being mistaken for h25B... LOL

"Great, not even a real pilot. Just some dork with an opinion." HD

Wow, who else fits this statement around here?

as214 said:
Even in their current state a major airline guy with accrued seniority will get 17-18 days off per month. Apples to oranges.

Oh yeah... how much of that 17-18 is spent commuting for most 121 guys? Hmmmmm.

Nectarines to peaches.

Latest resources

Back