• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is it True?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well I just finished IOE at ASA and all it took me was a 4 day and a 2day trip. About 33hrs in the airplane. ASA is still hiring some sharp pilots. In my class we had 4 ex 121 guys and one KC-10 pilot from the air force. All finished IOE with no problem. Now we did have some 250hr wonder pilots that were interns. I havent heard anything about them yet?

Now we did have some 250hr wonder pilots that were interns. I havent heard anything about them yet?

Wow. The term used to be "1000 hour wonders," which I guess is the category that I fall in. Oh well, I know I won't be 100 hours on IOE.

-Goose

Colgan IOE does not really have a definate "stop date"

Usually the IOE student is transferred from the IOE Capt to the Line Capt at about 25 hrs. The Line Capt completes the IOE process which can take up to 6 months.

www.alpa.org/colgan

You mean your not suppose to be flying with the same captain each trip. I've been at my company almost 2 years and fly with the same guy. I thought the captain just really liked me.;)

Line Checkairman are geeting rich, the line captains are getting violations. (or close calls) With lowered minimums at the commuter level, lenghty IOE will become normal. I have had F.O.'s who never shot IAP's in IFR conditions (1000/3 or <). Many come from factory schools in the the desert. IOE once was to give new hires line experience and an initial grasp of the AC and its capabilities. It now includes multi engine and instrument proficiency. Cheers to those who do sim evals prior to hiring.

I just talked to a line check captain here at ASA and the average IOE for a new hire is about 50hrs

Times are changing people. It sort of makes you wonder what people will be talking about on FI in a couple of years. Probably how much ALPA sucks, how much (Insert airline here) sucks, and spikey hair FO's (or CAs now).

I just talked to a line check captain here at ASA and the average IOE for a new hire is about 50hrs

That is incorrect. The average ASA new hire for June (the last month that we have complete data) took somewhere around 30 hours. (The minimum is 25 hours and 15 cycles.) I don't remember the exact number, and it may be as high as 31, but it was certainly not 50. I can find out the exact number though, if you'd like it.

There has been a general upswing in the time required over the past few months. In May the average was something like 31.7, and in June it had dropped a couple of hours to 30.

Yes, there has been a general trend of requiring more training, but it is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Much of the upswing could be explained by pilots having to wait a week or more from their proficiency check to their IOE. New hire skils deteriorate rapidly, and it may take some extra time to "relearn" what they forgot in the week or two off.

Yes, there has been a general trend of requiring more training, but it is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Much of the upswing could be explained by pilots having to wait a week or more from their proficiency check to their IOE. New hire skils deteriorate rapidly, and it may take some extra time to "relearn" what they forgot in the week or two off.

Good point. I won't speak for all airlines but I suspect that the glut of hiring is putting pressure on IOE schedules. There are only so many CAs and hours that they can do IOE. I took my checkride 5/19 and finished IOE 6/23. One 4 day followed by a 2 day; 35 days to complete 6 days of IOE with no less than 6 days off between flying events. Each time I got in the airplane I felt a little behind for the first leg or so and I came in with close to two years of 135 experience. Heck, in my previous job I felt a little off when I came off of a long weekend or vacation, and that was with 1000+ hrs in the airplane. Recency is everything, especially in a new A/C and operating environment. Frankly I think that 50 hrs is pretty good for some of the lower time guys.

We're still waiting for the accident record to reflect the reduced experience level of regional FOs. I'm sure that the same assumptions were made 5-7 years ago when 1200 hrs was considered low time. What about 10 years ago when airlines started hiring 1500-2000 hr flight instructors with no other experience?

Latest resources

Back