Is it possible? (US Airways flight)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

Heard a few rumors that the bird strike on the US Airways flight may have only taken out one engine, but the pilot shut down the wrong engine... I know pilots have mistakenly shut down the wrong engine before... Is it possible it happened on this flight?

I think you're referring to the fact that one engine was still producing about 35% N1. Not enough to maintain flight, but luckily enough to provide electrical and hydraulic power to the aircraft and flight control systems.

Both engines have been found to contain bird remains.

This is a rumor generated and propagated by people who don't understand that just because an engine is still running doesn't mean it can provide enough power to sustain flight.

Thats why at my airline we got flight engineers to slap the crap out us stupid pilots.

Heard a few rumors that the bird strike on the US Airways flight may have only taken out one engine, but the pilot shut down the wrong engine... I know pilots have mistakenly shut down the wrong engine before... Is it possible it happened on this flight?

The FDR (Flight Data Recorder) has been reviewed by the NTSB and it's been preliminarily determined that both engines lost power simultaneously, with one still turning at 35%. Usable thurst in turbine engines requires a much higher rotational speed. If they shut down the wrong side we'd know by now, both thru the CVR and FDR.

I noticed the other day thy that 38% N1 was idle on the ground...FWIW. I didn't think to look during decent what flight idle was.

To answer your question it is possible that some one shut down the wrong engine, however it did not happen on this flight.

Maybe that's what the "idiot" comment on the ATC tapes was about.

"Idiot...you shut down the wrong engine."

Or not....

Latest resources

Back