• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is it appropriate to pick up open time at EV

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For me personally, I'm against working one minute more than I'm awarded on the final schedule, as long as there is anyone not working that wants to work. Furloughs mean no open time pickups, plain and simple.

With the voluntary COMAs and LOAs happening, I've no problem picking up the open time.

For me, it's just the right thing to do.

Until somebody convinces me otherwise, this is about the best sounding comment out there.

What about your reserve "brothers" who, if we never picked up open time, might have a line and be able to break 75 hours?

Surely you couldn't be comparing a guy LOSING HIS JOB to you not being able to credit more than guarantee, right?

Your furloughed pilots friends have some bills to pay too!! But with you and your buddies picking up overtime - guess they are SOL coming back! I know - its a me culture. Its hard to ask people to make small sacrifices..
Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to throw rocks from your glass house......you might let in a cold chill from the Midwest.

oh sorry. thats different. right?....;)

Picking up open time with guys on furlough is just like Scott Hall flying a full month in the right seat.

If pilots are needed that bad then people should be recalled. Dont make me slap you into next week. Dont make me personally review the open time pickups and call people who just dont get it.

The PALM has SPOKEN

This thead should be over!!!!!!!!!!

If you need to pick up time for extra money. Go to your trade boards and help a brother or sister out. Pick up their trip they are trying to get rid of. That would seem a bit more moral and ethical. But to go and pick up straight open time, is a slap in the face, or a spit in the face of those who are furloughed and an insult to those jr CAs who were to forced back to the right seat. I have flown with a few who did pick up straight open time. I'll be cordial and professional, but I will also let you know how I feel.
I know I have been asked to refrain from commenting on this, but it pisses me off to no end that we have people still willing to do this. If we can only get everyone to stand together on this instead of shooting each other in our private parts.
Just my thoughts.

If you need to pick up time for extra money. Go to your trade boards and help a brother or sister out. Pick up their trip they are trying to get rid of. That would seem a bit more moral and ethical. But to go and pick up straight open time, is a slap in the face, or a spit in the face of those who are furloughed and an insult to those jr CAs who were to forced back to the right seat. I have flown with a few who did pick up straight open time. I'll be cordial and professional, but I will also let you know how I feel.
I know I have been asked to refrain from commenting on this, but it pisses me off to no end that we have people still willing to do this. If we can only get everyone to stand together on this instead of shooting each other in our private parts.
Just my thoughts.

Actually, not picking up open time, is EXACTLY what the company wants you to do. That way, they can have reserves, that they are already paying guarantee, fly those trips.

The only one your are helping--the Company. The ones that you are hurting--you and the people you support in your tribe. Keep up the good work!

Actually, not picking up open time, is EXACTLY what the company wants you to do. That way, they can have reserves, that they are already paying guarantee, fly those trips.

The only one your are helping--the Company. The ones that you are hurting--you and the people you support in your tribe. Keep up the good work!

Your logic is flawed. The company likes to keep a certain percentage of pilots on hand as reserves, period. The less pilots available for reserve (i.e. flying open time), the less pilots the company will need to unload.

It might save the company a small amount of money to have reserves fly instead, everything else equal, but it could also keep more pilots on hand.

Last edited:
I was just wondering if it is appropriate to pick up open time with furloughs a possibilty. I don't want to harm any affected pilots.

1. Did you decide to retire 12 airplanes with no replacements?
2. Did you decide to allow banks to make bad loans to unworthy creditors?
3. Did you decide to rachet up gas prices to the level that cause inflation and erosion of the dollar?
4. Did you plan the collapse of the financial markets and banking industry?
5. Did you decide to create conditions that are causing one of the highest default on home mortgages in history?

These are just a few of the things that are causing potential furloughs. Picking up open time or not, will not save one job. Worse case scenario is:

1. The Company will get better utilization of reserves.
2. You will not be able to replace your loss in earning power due to the above and other conditions.
3. At some point, it could force Junior Manning and extensions for those who don't want to work and cause them to work outside their footprint--at time and a half.
4. It will give you a warm and fuzzy feeling that you ae doing something worthwhile, when you really aren't.
5. You are helping no one, but hurting yourself.

Suggestion: Pick up the open time and give 10% to charity to help someone who really needs help!

Last edited:
Your logic is flawed. The company likes to keep a certain percentage of pilots on hand as reserves, period. The less pilots available for reserve (i.e. flying open time), the less pilots the company will need to unload.

It might save the company a small amount of money to have reserves fly instead, everything else equal, but it could also keep more pilots on hand.

My logic is not flawed. In fact, your post supports it in the second paragraph. Is my statement regarding open time coverage with reserves the only and absolute solution--no, but to some degree it is part of the intended solution as you add support in your post.

You can't lose 12 planes from your fleet with no replacement and ignore the results in staffing. That was not my Company's decision, it came from the partner at a convenient/opportune time in the downsizing plan as a result of the economy and the conditions.

Is Skywest furloughing?

Latest resources

Back